possible urine scald

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:10 pm

Nice pad for the piggies (but... where is sweet little Ginger-pig?) Like the loft.

Sorry to hear about your uncle and boyfriend. Best wishes in getting his tumor removed.

Thanks for clarifying the sludge issue. So, she is just incontinent -- no pain while doing her business, no blood?

I would still want a culture done, but it would have to wait until next week? Not sure whether it would be wise to wait and get a culture or start on the ABs. I think I would wait and get the culture done, since this is a repeat of the same problem as before, and the last course of Bactrim did not keep it from returning.

Does the kitchen area get spot cleaned - ie soiled hay and pellets scooped out - in between the weekly change-outs? Also, is the pan underneath disinfected weekly?

Sorry for all the picky detail questions. These were just things that I took for granted with my chronic UTI sow, and they turned out to be key in resolving her incontinence.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:19 pm

Increase fluids if you can.

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:40 pm

Noted, Lynx. Will do. : )

Baby Ginger-girl is under the flap of fabric by the stairs, she was snoozing. : )

No, she doesn't have any pain while peeing-at least to my knowledge. no squeaking.

No the kitchen ususally doesn't get spot cleaned-only the once ever week. I can start doing that if you think it would help.

I'm unsure about the bactrim and culture too. What do you think would be best? I'm afraid NOT to put her on meds, I caught it early again, and i want to keep it that way.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:37 am

Well, this is purely speculation based on my experience, which may or may not be indicative of what is going on with your little girl, but I would get rid of that litter box, just to be safe. Start with a clean new one, and spot clean it at least once a day (morning or evening) so that Ginger-pig is not coming into contact with wet bedding and hay for any length of time. Combine the once or twice daily spot-cleaning with the usual weekly change out of the bedding, and be sure to disinfect the box before putting new bedding in. I use diluted Simple Green followed by a plain water rinse. (If the box is porous and can't get wet, maybe put a layer of vinyl in the bottom that can be wiped down.) I will also use vinegar on the concentrated urine spots.

Could be that the increased cleanliness coupled with one more round of Bactrim does the trick.

And if it doesn't, then see a vet for a urine culture or general exam to check for other sources of the incontinence.

Since Ginger-pig responded so well to the Bactrim before, I would not be surprised if this is an infection that may be recurring, in which case it needs to be treated. Just be careful of AB overuse, as you do not want to end up with a resistant infection on your hands.

jacqueline

Post   » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:51 am

I have on occasion used desitin for piggies with potential diaper rash ;-). If you're reluctant to use that, maybe coco nut oil or anything that would be a barrier against wetness.

meganmarie

Post   » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:52 pm

Thank you, LS in AK. I will spot clean their kitchen everyday. It's made out of coroplast, and i do clean it with a vinegar/water solution.

And Jacqueline, I do have desitin. I have used it before, when my boar was having issues because of his penis(he was born with it being malformed). I do prefer to use coconut oil, because of it's antiseptic properties.

So, i'm puzzled. I cleaned her last night, around 5. She has not had any dribbling since, and there are no visible signs at all. I was sure i would wake up and have to clean her this morning, but she seems totally fine. WHAT! I don't know what is happening. So...it's been 19 hours and she doesn't have any visible signs of the UTI. I'm just going to give her the medication still...see how that goes...

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:22 am

Well, that is good that you did not have to clean her yesterday. Less incontinence is definitely better than more. Is she still dry today?

If the symptoms are easing up, maybe wait on the AB and get her to the vet when things calm down next week? Vet visit really is the only way to confirm an infection, determine the best course of medication, and rule out any other possible causes for her leaky bottom.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:26 am

Ditto. How is she doing today?

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:42 pm

She's doing fine. Running around, popcorning, being queen bee. Everyone's eating hay right now. No dripping, no pee. Her pee is a good color. Nothing.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:56 pm

Excellent. Carry on. (Her, too. ;-)

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:49 pm

I'm kind of panicking. I just found maybe a 1/2 inch size tumor on her, kind of under her right nipple(if your holding her against you, facing away.). Panicking, panicking, panicking.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:53 pm

Don't waste all that energy panicking. It won't help her, and just upsets you.

Mammary tumors are rarely cancerous, and as surgeries go, are pretty easily removed. They don't usually have to cut into the abdominal cavity, so the recovery time is pretty short. I'd just call around and find the best exotic vet surgeon you can locate, and make an appointment.