Indoor Grass

LynnK

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:01 pm

Ok I would like some advice on growing indoor grass I have been having problems with knats flying around my place and I see tons of them in my grass so I sprayed some Raid on them it killed the bugs but I don´t want to give it to my pigs now of course. I want to start over with some new stuff but I think I need a different type of grass or maybe a different way of doing it. How much and what type of grass should I use I love to garden but don´t want bugs. Just want good grass and my Amigo got sick from this old stuff! It´s sitting outside in the cold for now so the boys don´t get at by accident or anything. Thanks!

?(

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:15 pm

LOL
In Canada, we have quite a few hydroponic "grass" growers. You need to track one down for advice, I think. Calling the Hell´s Angels would be a good place to start.

LynnK

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:37 pm

OK E. they sound like pinta´s type but maybe you will have better luck tracking them down.
Last edited by LynnK on Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 9:50 pm

I would try a cold frame outside. I think growing grass inside would be tough.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 9:53 pm

one word - hydroponics

lisam

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 10:27 pm

Hey Lynn, try brewing up some mint tea and pour it over the dirt in your houseplants, and also any grass you want to grow for your pigs. It is completely non-toxic for the plants, pigs, and you.

And stop using the Raid! That stuff is deadly for you!

May the Force be with you.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 11:14 pm

I have scale on my lemon tree which is now living in my bathtub so I can keep showering the scale off.

So far Malathion is my best bet - anything less toxic I can try?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 11:16 pm

For scale, you can use dormant oil spray (try any garden shop). It smothers the scale. Since it´s an oil and not a true pesticide, it oughta be pretty safe.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 11:24 pm

Seems to be a seasonal timing thing on it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:40 am

On fruit trees they often try to use it when the tree is dormant -- essentially so they don´t smother the tree. But it can also be used in different concentrations (I think) so it could be applied to a tree with leaves. I would think the spring would be a good time to do it. And any time you have a big leaf loss. I had a lemon tree for a while that did end up losing lots of leaves in the winter -- and the scale drove me crazy. Being unsuccessful at getting rid of it myself, I decided to just put the poor thing out of its misery.

Having a kind heart, I imagine you´d like to nurse it back.

lisam

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2002 9:52 am

Yes, the dormant oil spray is definitely less harmful than the Malathion. Lynx is right about it being used in different concentrations, and you can choose from different ones at the garden store. Lots of them these days are water based, however, so you may need to get the plant out of the shower or it will wash off.

You may try scraping the scale off, mashing it up and adding a little water and soap. and spray it on. I haven´t used this methold myself, but apparently there is a theory that "like kills like".

pinta

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2002 3:13 pm

Tree has full foilage and a lemon on it. Probably go for malathion.