Wayne - Glaucoma in both eyes

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:20 pm

Tracis has a collection of GL photos in the Records forum. I could indeed add a post there with a link back here. All the eye pics on that thread are great (the main eye page is linked to by the American Board of Veterinary Ophthalmology):
http://www.abvo.us/residents/helpful_links.shtml

The eye page links to the Records thread.

Here you go (picture and link to this thread in Records forum):
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... ?p=373#373

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:03 pm

Excellent, thank you! Looks great.

Also that is very cool that the ABVO page links to our eye page!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:04 pm

I had a completely blind pig, who did very well, I just always set up the cage in the same way. Ditto on the seeing buddy - Lew had Mouse as a seeing eye pig, and they were very bonded.

He ate hay out of a rack, and used a water bottle. I just always kept them in the same spot. Good luck with him

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:12 pm

His eyes were kind of creepy. I didn't know that glaucoma caused an increase in the size of the eye. I took him to the vet because of the big eyes. I felt a bit silly but my instincts were right. Wayne was also thin so I thought there must be something bothering him.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:15 pm

I just saw the link to the eye cage. That's pretty cool. I couldn't find much information on glaucoma which is one reason I'm trying to post about Wayne's progress.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:18 pm

People always want to know how well enucleation goes too. I know it is often/usually successful but two members were unable to clear an infection postop.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:31 am

What causes the eyes to become enlarged like that? It's an excellent photo.

And very good news that the surgery was successful!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:10 am

Glaucoma. Abnormally high pressure in the fluid inside the eye makes it bulge and enlarge like that.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20024042

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:09 am

Sounds like the build up of pressure in the eye is a factor that can contribute to glaucoma.

http://www.glaucoma.org/glaucoma/
What is Glaucoma?

Glaucoma is a complicated disease in which damage to the optic nerve leads to progressive, irreversible vision loss. Glaucoma is the second leading cause of blindness.

CavyHouse, did the vet determine that this guinea pig was blind already?

For humans, the risk factors of glaucoma are (from Talishan's link):
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20024042

Risk Factors:
"Elevated internal eye pressure (intraocular pressure). If your internal eye pressure (intraocular pressure) is higher than normal, you're at increased risk of developing glaucoma, though not everyone with elevated intraocular pressure develops the disease.

"Medical conditions. Several conditions may increase your risk of developing glaucoma, including diabetes, heart diseases, high blood pressure and hypothyroidism.

"Other eye conditions. Severe eye injuries can cause increased eye pressure. Other eye conditions that could cause increased risk of glaucoma include eye tumors, retinal detachment, eye inflammation and lens dislocation...

"Long-term corticosteroid use. Using corticosteroid medications, especially eyedrops for a long period of time may increase your risk of developing secondary glaucoma."

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:16 pm

MY vet said that glaucoma can be caused by the eye not draining properly so pressure builds up. He numbed Wayne's eyes and then did a pressure reading. I don't know what units the pressure is read in but the vet said normally you want pressure less than 15. Wayne's pressure readings were in the 20-25 range. Something caused Wayne's lenses in his eyes to detach so things would be very blurry.

Apparently the pressure can vary. Wayne is thin for his build and it could be because of the pain that Glaucoma can cause. Interestingly enough, Wayne started gaining weight the week before the surgery, so perhaps the pressure wasn't as great then.

My vet felt that Wayne had very little sight left. Wayne didn't react at all to waving a hand right in front of his face. But his vision was good enough to maneuver around the cage - so he could hide out under his log tunnels without running into them. I've removed the tunnels and just have some towels/fleece hanging part way down from the top of the cage to create cave-type areas so that Wayne's buddy can feel like there is somewhere to hide.

I haven't seen any swelling under the stitches (knocking on wood) so I'm hoping we'll avoid infection. I've had lots of surgeries done with this vet and can't remember any infections resulting from any that he's done.

We had another guinea pig (Freckles) get one eye removed the same day as Wayne. Her eye was removed after an abscess caused by a tooth growing into the roof of her mouth pushed her eye out. There was a lot of infection behind that eye. My vet flushed it a ton and is hoping we won't have problems with that one.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:59 pm

It does sound like the second guinea pig is at greater risk of infection. Interestingly, the eye not draining is one of the causes of pressure building up in humans too. There seem to be at least two causes on the link that was posted by Talishan.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:19 pm

CH, best to everyone recovering at your house. Please keep us posted.