Zoe's Medical Thread

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:21 pm

Just got back from the vets. Although she could not feel any cysts Zoe showed discomfort when examined and didn't like the vet giving her the squeeze.

Due to some weight loss we decided to do an X-ray to rule out the recurrence of stones. The previous X-ray was done April 2014. Thank goodness she is totally free and clear of stones, sludge or any other sign of disease.

Now I know the X-ray is normal we are going to go ahead with the spay. The first surgery date I could get was March 24th. Even with some weight loss her vet said she still has a good layer of fat everywhere. I could even see the fat layer on the X-ray.

I still need to figure out the pellet situation. We have the KMS formula with the field peas. Up until a few days ago I was mixing in a few of the original formula so they were eating at least some pellets. Since I ran out of those old pellets Zoe is eating virtually no pellets. I have contacted KMS but haven't heard back yet. I think I should just compost these pellets and get 10 lbs. of the new formula. I would like to have them here before her surgery. She is going to need all the calories I can get into her. I did get a very few Oxbow Adult pellets from my friend but I am afraid to add more than a few pellets to the mix. I am sure it was the Oxbow that caused the stone issue in the first place.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:03 pm

I heard back from Nessa. Sounds like KMS will be getting a shipment next week and the formula should be pretty much identical to the original one. This is very good news. I need to fatten Zoe up before her surgery.

I will place an order next week to ensure they are the new batch. I will compost the ones I have or maybe the birds or deer would eat them???

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:40 pm

You could try the local shelter if they have guinea pigs or rabbits. Or a local guinea pig or rabbit rescue.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:08 pm

Lynx: Do you mean to give the pellets to?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:15 pm

Yes, they might be able to use them (rather than compost them). I had old pellets that neither the squirrels nor the birds cared for.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:25 pm

Lynx: Nessa said she would normally recommend giving excess pellets to a rescue but because the pellets with the field peas are not popular and there are more than a few guinea pigs that won't eat them she suggests composting them. Her exact words were "At this point we're just wanting them gone.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:08 pm

:-(

My chicken didn't like the field peas in the "organic" chicken feed I got last summer.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:59 pm

It is going to be a very long two weeks until Zoe's spay surgery. The date is March 24th so actually over two weeks.

She is not only driving herself crazy but constantly bothering Abbey with her rumbling and mounting. Zoe has been rumbling for 22 days. Abbey is getting stressed and starting to lose weight. So now I am getting stressed because as you all know when the pigs aren't happy it affects the humans in their life.

It helps if I give them tiny pieces of greens throughout the day to encourage hay eating and give Zoe something else to focus on. Once I get them out eating it will continue for awhile.

Any suggestions?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:34 pm

Breaks for Abbey? With food and calm?

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:43 pm

Thanks Lynx

That is a good idea. I did give them a longer floor time today which seemed to help. Also when I am home puttering around the kitchen I can monitor them and redirect Zoe if I hear her rumbling. The problem is I am not always at home to intervene.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:25 am

Might a tiny bit of pain medication help? Even though this is probably not outright pain, I've noticed in the past that a couple of aspirin actually has a slight calming effect on me (in addition to working on a headache).

Or even a tiny, tiny amount of Valium (diazepam) -- if your vet would be willing to give you an infinitesimal amount of it.

Hopefully Zoe's hormones will ease off, at least for a little bit, somewhere between now and the 24th.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:32 am

Thanks Talishan:

She was a little bit better yesterday. I was home all day cutting out fabric for cuddle cups in the kitchen so was able to monitor her. It was really bad a couple of days ago because Abbey was also in heat but she is done so hopefully things will settle down.

If things get unbearable I will definitely talk to her vet. Thanks for the suggestion. I almost phoned and begged for them to get her in a week early but I know her vet is booked solid with rabbits and a pot belly pig.