Occasional hooting in seemingly healthy pig?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:05 pm

How great that Fatso lived a long time. I'm sorry you lost her now though. It sounds as though she had a good life.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:46 pm

Thanks for the update. I'm sorry you lost her but agree it sounds like she had a good life.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:33 pm

I'm sorry that your sweet girl is gone. I don't know if you are aware of this, but your "hooting" video has helped so many other guinea pig owners. Thank you for sharing her story.

M Lawrence

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:09 pm

Hello all-
I apologize if it's bad form to bring up an old thread like this, or to post on another pig's health thread, but this one contains the video that I want to reference (9/19/2006).

My alpha, Percy, just was making that exact same hooting sound that Fatso was making. Otherwise he appears to be healthy and robust, not losing any weight (steady at 2lb., 15oz.). The boys were at the vet about a month ago and given a clean bill of health (including listening to the heart and lungs).

Obviously, this is a sudden concern of mine. If it's congenital, separating the boys will not accomplish anything and may give him even more distress. Should I leave them together until I can get him checked out again?

Thank you.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:42 pm

Yes, definitely leave them together. It won't hurt him, and the separation probably would.

Let us know what the vet says.

M Lawrence

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:07 pm

Thanks, I will.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:28 pm

Ditto bpatters.

How old is your pig?

M Lawrence

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:22 pm

I don't know for sure. We got him in early January from another couple who was moving and needed to find a home for them (we got a bonded pair). We were told that they were brothers, bought from a pet shop, and a bit more than a year old at the time. They sure do seem to be brothers, and also seem to be young enough, but it's hard to be precise in a case like this. If weight matters, then they are both about the same- Percy is 2lb. 15 oz., and Bruno is 2 lb. 14 oz.

Percy has the real 'alpha' spunky personality, though- very bossy (in a lovable way, of course) and always investigating. Aside from those sounds I heard today, nothing seems off about him at all. 'Hooting' is the best way to describe it.