Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:12 pm

I think most people don't remove the syringe between bites. If he can chew, I'd just leave it in. He's got plenty of room between back and front teeth for the syringe.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:26 am

Ditto bpatters. If he doesn't particularly like the food, it won't take him long to figure out that if he doesn't chew it, you will take the syringe out and not give him any more.

In my limited experience, their mouths will hold about 1/3 of a 1 cc syringe's worth of food at one time. Go deep near his molars and depress the plunger VERY SLOWLY. Don't try to give more than about 1/4 to 1/3 of the syringe at one time. Wiggle the syringe if needed a bit to get him to chew. Then, once he's chewed and swallowed, give him another 1/4 to 1/3.

Don't remove the syringe until it needs to be refilled.

If a guinea pig is chewing, he is swallowing. (If you watch a cavy drink, they actually chew their water.)

Be SURE you are using a 1cc syringe with the tip cut off and the rough end smoothed!

These instructions will NOT work with any syringe larger than that.

If he aspirates, he will cough violently. Of course you don't want to do that, but generally if a guinea pig aspirates there's no question as to what has happened.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:27 pm

Thank you so much Lynx, bpatters and Talishan for your help.

Lynx, he is doing better now. He couldn't eat properly for almost a week after the surgery but critical care helped maintain his weight. He went in for another incisors trim few days back because it wasn't done properly and his front incisors had grown and started touching his lips. Presently, I cut vegetables in small,long pieces and give him.

Bpatters, I will try doing it the next time I have to hand feed him. I just hope he doesn't have to be hand fed ever. Fingers crossed.

Talishan, I use a 1 cc syringe. And he doesn't cough but only kind of sneezes.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

The top incisor of a normal guinea pig will touch (just graze, or touch) its bottom (opposite) lip. Just saying.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:52 pm

Yet another tooth problem for my Sandy. After the molar trimming surgery around three and a half months back, he has broken his front incisors twice due to unknown reasons. But this time his lower incisors are moving apart from each other, kind of like separating and loosening from the root. Also while eating, many times one of the teeth will go behind the other and makes it difficult for him to eat. I don’t know the term but I think it is called teeth spurring. Correct me if I am wrong.

He is going in for a vet visit tomorrow and the vet suspects he is loosing his teeth but can’t be extracted as she thinks that there can a risk of the new teeth not growing in that place. She said she might have to trim the incisors if they are too long and wait for the teeth to fall on his own.
Sandy has reduced his appetite and is hardly eating. I have already started giving him critical care but he is hardly eating that also.

I wanted myself to be fully prepared before I go in for a vet visit. Here are few of my doubts:
1. What exactly is Sandy’s condition?
2. How can it be treated?
3. What are the things to look out for?
4. If the teeth falls off, will the new teeth grow as separated as the old ones or will they grow back normal?

Please help. Any kind of help will be highly appreciated.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:15 pm

Be very careful about trimming too short. www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html He may be unable to eat. I hope you can figure out what is causing the weakening of the teeth. I take it you're providing a good diet with lots of vitamin C?

Read this over: www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html
New teeth should grow back normal but sometimes it will take another tooth loss to get things back on track. Be sure to weigh daily right now.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:22 pm

Ditto Lynx. Handfeed if he's not maintaining weight.

https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

In my experience, your vet is right. There are a lot of problems with extracting teeth, incisors in particular.

Is he getting sufficient vitamin C?

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:03 am

Lynx, I have read that link. Thank you. All my piggies get bell peppers and tomatoes everyday and hay ofcourse. That is what exactly had happened when he broke his incisors twice, he lost one tooth and then another and then his new set of teeth were normal. But this time his teeth are separating. I think the vet applies too much pressure while clipping his tooth which makes it sensitive. She trims it later. This is the only reason I can think of for the weakening of his teeth. I could be wrong though. I will start giving him a quarter of 500mg Vitamin C tablet from today.

Talishan, I tried handfeeding the way you and bpatters suggested. I went deep near his molars and dint remove the syringe until it was finished. He was chewing the syringe which meant he was swallowing. But he behaved as if he was choking and was trying to get the syringe out of his mouth. Did I do it properly? Is this how he is supposed to behave?

He is eating coriander, grated carrot and hay a little. I will continue giving him critical care and try to give him more today.
Wish me luck for the vet visit right now. I will keep you posted. Thank you so much everyone for all your help :)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:37 am

Handfeeding is a slow, laborious, time-consuming -- but absolutely vital -- process.

If you're using a 1cc syringe with the tip cut off -- which you should be -- then give him "bites" of about a third of the syringe at a time. Don't remove the syringe from his mouth, but don't give him the entire amount at one time. Give him about a third of it, then let him chew and swallow; then gently push the next third, etc. Give him time to chew and swallow between "bites".

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:34 am

Thank you Talishan for the reply. I use a 1cc syringe with the tip cut off and I give about 0.2cc at one time, making sure he chews the syringe. But after that he somehow manages to remove the syringe out of his mouth and then it becomes difficult to put it back. And if I forcibly keep the syringe inside, he behaves like he is choking and as soon as it is out, he is normal and is still chewing. Should I still keep the syringe inside and continue, ignoring his little techniques?

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:38 am

Quick update from the vet clinic.
Sandy’s tooth was already broken and was hanging. It was pulled off and it started bleeding. Vet gave him Meloxicam and have asked me to give Perinorm- 0.2ml twice a day X 3 days and Metrogyl- 0.35ml once a day X 3 days. She has also told me to keep his wound clean by wiping it with diluted Betadine solution twice a day. I gave him the first dose of Perinorm.

I am a little paranoid about-
1. Not giving him pain killer for few more days as I feel it will be painful for him,
2. Using Betadine solution in his mouth. He might ingest it,
3. Giving him two antibiotics together (Perinorm, Metrogyl). I also have Bactrim in hand,
4. Should I give him probiotic (poop soup) if I am giving him critical care? Should critical care be given one-two hours after antibiotic like a probiotic?

What should I do?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:24 am

Why is the vet trimming? Can the teeth wear on their own? With trimming (depending on technique), the tooth can be shattered down further. Filing can help prevent that.

Can't answer all your questions - a pain killer certainly could help. Maybe go for a cue tip saturated with betadine so not much could be ingested. Unfamiliar with your antibiotics. Poop soup can help, shouldn't hurt.