Drooling, not eating

Rufi

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:07 am

He moves surprisingly much when he is with his friends (after the accident he has his own cage) , but he don't drinks water on his own (but I think because he receives his liquids during hand feeding).
The x-rays was made only from above, not from either side of his head. I think it is impossible to see a dislocated jaw on an x-rays made from above his head even for an experienced vet.
It is possible to ascertain a dislocated jaw without an x-rays from the side of the head?

Rufi

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:31 am

After the accident, his mouth was tilted left side. Actually, his incisors were clipped because the vet thought that is jaw is tilted because his teeth are overgrown.
So, this tilted mouth syndrome matches with your diagnose of dislocated jaw(though his mouth now seems normal).

Rufi

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:35 am

@SardonicSmile: Thank you for message! I will order the pellets over the internet from zooplus, though I will have to wait for around 5 days.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:58 am

Rufi, ambele produse recomandate sunt bune.
Trebuie sa le macini cat mai marunt posibil, sa aiba consistenta de pulbere, pe cat posibil.

Le amesteci cu iarba, un pic de banana daca ii place porcusorului, orice care ii stimuleaza apetitul. Trebuie sa citesc din nou, dar cred ca il hranesti cu siringa, nu?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:15 am

I would also not give banana.

Rufi

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:30 pm

@Bytxlaura, @Lynx: Thank you for your posts!

I was at an another vet for a second opinion. She said that Rufi has a dislocated or fractured jaw (there is a click when he chews), with a much greater chance for dislocation. Rufi received a B vitamin complex injection, and she said that every day I should give her the same injection.
What are the chances that Rufi will survive this ordeal? How can I help him more?
If there is no point, I don't want him to suffer.

Rufi

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:48 pm

@Talishan: Answering to my concerns about B vitamin overdose (he received another injection yesterday), the vet said that it is really important that he receives every day an injection, at least for the following week. I presume, I shouldn't do these injections. Or the vet knows better?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:20 pm

THANK YOU SS and Bytx for your help!!!! :-)

Rufi -- he can survive if he is not in pain, and if you continue to handfeed him. He may need to be handfed the rest of his life, but that is doable. We have members here who have done it.

That said, it may not be necessary. If his mouth seems normal now, a dislocation of the jaw, if that's what it is, may be resolving on its own.

If the vitamin B injections are subcutaneous (that is, below the skin), you can learn to do them at home. I HATE needles and I learned to do subcutaneous injections. If I can, you can. ;-)

Try putting him back with his cagemates, UNLESS they bully him. Competing with them for food may stimulate him to eat on his own if he can physically do so.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:35 pm

Rufi

Post   » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:21 am

@Talishan: Thank you!
Yesterday evening and today morning, when I gave Rufi (he is now in the same cage with his skinny pig mate) sweet pepper, he works on it for around 20 minutes, he slices the pepper, but he is unable to swallow them, since he spits them out. He slices the pepper with his incisors, but he is unable to chew them with his molars (at least this is what I think).
Anyway, I found a vet specialized on exotic animals in another town. I will drive tomorrow the pig to him, he said he will do a lateral x-ray and, when it is needed, he will trim his molars or operate him, if case.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:51 am

Keep us posted. I'm glad you were able to find another vet.

Rufi

Post   » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:23 am

I was yesterday at an another vet who made x-rays from both sides of the head. He said Rufi's jaw was dislocated on both sides (as a consequence of the accident), but it is healing. Also his molars were overgrown.
Rufi was sedated, and his molars trimmed. After the operation, his face had swollen in a way that his eye slits were barely open. Is this normal? In the meantime, the situation is a little bit better.
At home I observed that his incisors were also clipped, in a way that after a first look I thought he has no bottom front teeth at all. Obviously, he cannot eat on his own, and opposes hand feeding with all his power. He again lost some weight. I give him pain killers.