UK Piggy - Anselmo's Medical Thread

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:29 am

Squealy Anselmo is feeling much better on the Metacam. I'm going to reduce it down to once a day now.

On Friday I noticed a massive buildup of chalky residue in and around his nether regions and gave him a clean (which he really didn't enjoy and gave my sleeve a good hard biting) and he's been better since.

I check him regularly and he's been fine. Maybe there was a big bit of sludge getting flushed through. Who knows, but at least he's feeling better!

I always find it odd that he squeaks louder when pooping than peeing. But, he's always been like that...

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:53 pm

Excellent news. Carry on.

"I always find it odd that he squeaks louder when pooping than peeing. But, he's always been like that..."

The outlet piping for the two functions is RIGHT next to each other. A dropping is bigger and harder than pee is, so to me anyway it stands to reason that a dropping would cause more discomfort to a sore bladder even than peeing would, even though that's counterintuitive.

I think. That's what I tell myself is logical, anyway. :-p

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:46 am

That makes sense, especially as Anselmo does big banana shaped poops too!

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:38 am

Just a note for when I take him back to the vets.

He was squeaking again this morning, and when I checked his penis it was clean but the outside was crusted in white-ish dust again. And white pee came out when I forced his penis out to check, which dried into a calcium spot when it dried on the fleece.

Will check daily now.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:59 am

Anselmo was at the vet last Friday for a check up regarding the trial of Bendrofluazide he's on.

Her observations:

-He weighted 1.14kg compared to 1.19kg last time. She's not worried but if he has dropped again at the next checkup in 8 weeks she wants to x-ray. It won't be a conscious x-ray so I hope he beefs up before then

-His urine is fine, but is a little bit concentrated. Which she thought was a bit odd as he's on a diuretic. Nothing to worry about though.
He still doesn't drink a great amount. A few days he'll have a full 60ml on his own, some days only 10ml

-He wouldn't stop talking but the little she could hear through that suggested his heart and lungs sounded good

-She gave his tummy and pelvis a good feel and he did a pee for her. She said as he didn't squeak or complain at all it would suggest no signs of cystitis or stones are present.

- I mentioned the squeaking when pooping and that the Metacam helped. Her thoughts are because he doesn't seem to be in any visible pain when she manipulated him then it may be the first signs of arthritis. She said at the very early stages of arthritis he won't have any problems walking or moving but it can make them squeak if he hunches or strains when peeing and/or pooping.
We have more Metacam for him.
Plus in her experience, and mine with Anselmo Metacam does nothing for his pain related to stones/sludge, he needed Tramadol for that.

-His weight is good, and he looks fine and healthy overall and no visible negative signs from the medication so we're giving him another 8 weeks on it.

I'm unsure whether to go for the x-ray anyway next time, as it would be good to see what's happening inside. I am wary that he'll be asleep for it but I'll have a ponder over it for a while.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:02 pm

Is there *any* way you can talk her into attempting the x-ray unsedated?

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:24 am

I did ask and she said that she won't have any of her technicians holding him, and in her opinion any slight movement by him will blur the x-ray and it needs to be as clear as possible to see any chances to his spine :(

I'm a bit disappointed as if every other way this vet is great.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:28 am

"she said that she won't have any of her technicians holding him,"

I realize you don't want to get in a counterproductive battle with her, but all the technicians need (if female) are lead aprons. The tech(s) only need to hold him very gently -- most of the time they're too scared to do anything but sit there rigidly for the amount of time it takes to do the rad.

?

I will say if their equipment is older and slow, then yes, he could move before the exposure is complete.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:48 am

Just thought I would post an update as Anselmo will need to go for his next appointment soon.

Good news first.

1) He weighs 1205g at the moment, so I'm hoping he stays like that and so doesn't need an xray

2) He has himself a new cage mate! I think they've been together about a month or so now. His friend is called Spencer and he's 5.5 years old (around the same age as Anselmo). His owner is a friend of a friend and unfortunately he had to be rehomed, which she obviously didn't want to do but her hands were very much tied. He lost his cagemate at the end of last year and so she wanted him to find a new friend. And I thought it was worth a try with Anselmo.

It can be a bit difficult at feeding times because of their massively different diet but Anselmo is used to having his dinner in his "basket" so Spencer can have his veg and pellets.

A bit of bad news, but nothing too major. Just something to mention to the vet when I'm next there.

Anselmo seems to be really susceptible to the cold/draughts lately. If I leave a window open, even for a few minutes he'll get a rattly chest.

On March 26th Anselmo was with us in the kitchen having a bit of veg. My boyfriend was cooking and the room was warm, so we had the door open.

Next day Anselmo was rattly. No snotty nose, no watery/crusty eyes. No lethargy, still loving his food. Just the rattly sound. I gave him a few steamings and kept his snugglesafe warm for him and it reduced to just when he ate. Now we're having a few days of warm sunshine he's fine again.

Someone has suggested an allergy but I can't see how it would be that. But, I'll mention it to the vet as it could affect him if he does need an x-ray

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:00 am

An allergy is unlikely, I agree. But do mention it at the vet.

Without reading back, have heart support meds ever been considered for him? What you're describing doesn't scream heart, but at his age I wouldn't be surprised if a heart support med helped his cardiopulmonary system in general.

Congratulations and a big warm welcome to Spencer! Bless you and thank you for taking him, and giving him a safe, comfortable and happy seniorhood.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:44 pm

If you currently have high pollen counts, it could be allergies (otherwise, ditto Talishan).

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:30 am

We've not thought of trying heart medicine before. With him having stone issues, that has always been the main concern and focus

The only heart sign I've noticed is his pea eye, but I know that heart issues can show itself in any different ways.

I was thinking possibly heart myself, as I have had experience with a heart pig and he was quite rattly at times. I'll definitely bring it up with the vet. I would imagine they would be reluctant to add heart med's to his current stone med's, but I'll definitely ask.

His tablets are diuretics so I would imagine they would have helped with any fluid buildup, but I'm not entirely sure how they work, so I'll ask the vet.

I'll have to upload a photo of Spencer, he's a funny little man. He's quite small, only around 1kg, but he's full of energy and personality. You would honestly think he was around 2 years old if you met him! And he has a broken wheeker!!

Apparently, the air quality in the UK is due to be quite bad today, with Sahara dust coming over, and lots of fog and air pollution. The windows at home are closed, but I'll see how he is tonight. He was okay this morning, no rattles when having his breakfast.