UK Piggy - Anselmo's Medical Thread

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:16 am

At his age, with pea eye, and intermittent raspiness, I'd want a trial of benazepril. If you can get it, start with a low dose and ramp up.

Without reading back, why is he on diuretics now? To help keep his bladder flushed out?

Keep us posted.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:51 am

He's on Bendrofluazide 0.625 mg a day Talishan. He's trialling it as a zoo vet over here has had great results in different species (inc. rabbits) suffering with bladder stones/sludge and he wanted to give it a try with guinea pigs.

Anselmo has had two stones, June 2013 and Feb 2014. He still suffers from calcium deposits on his fleece despite being on a pellet less, low calcium diet.

He's a pain and drinks very little water. So, I thought that if nothing else, it might get him to drink more and keep him flushed more. He does drink a little more now, but still hardly anything on his own accord.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:23 pm

Okay, now I remember.

If you shoot for benazepril, do have the vet check to ensure there's no contraindication in using the two together.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:26 am

Will do! I'm most definitely going to mention it, and I've got him an appointment for next Tuesday.

I've had to use PigCam to keep an eye on him the past couple of days whilst I'm at work and he does look like he's breathing heavier. His sides seem to be going in and out more, and he's nodding a bit too.

He's not having trouble getting around though. If anything he's been more active this weekend (little ****). For some unknown reason at around 2:30pm on Saturday he decided Spencer was the most attractive pig on the entire planet, and started to constantly chase and hump him. Spencer was terrified and in the end I had to put up a barrier in the middle of the cage as Spencer was starting to fight back and Anselmo now has a cut on his lip.

Did this stop him? Oh no. He tried forcing his head through the grids, tearing and clawing to get under or round it, and biting and chewing the grids to the extent he was dangling from the bars and I was certain he was going to pull his jaw off!

He was put in the 'naughty cage' until Sunday morning when I reintroduced them. From 11am to 9pm they were fine, then round two. This time Spencer didn't run away as fast and he let himself get humped about 5 times.

They've been okay since then again. Well, except an inch square (and a quite thick layer) of dried board glue stuck on Spencers read end. I have the task of getting the most of it off tonight, then a bath at the weekend if needed.

I assume Anselmo is going through a mid life crisis or something. Horrible beast!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:12 pm

Oh ugh!!

The boar glue may have to just wear off if you can't clip it.

They seem to have forgotten they aren't teenagers. ;-)

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:34 am

I had another chip away at it last night, and I think it's going to just have to wear off on it's own. Or wait till his hair grows a bit more to cut.

At least it's not covering his grease gland now, so hopefully it won't cause any problems.

After I spent about half an hour clipping and covering it in coconut oil I put him back and he immediately started rumbling at Anselmo.

They definitely have forgotten they're almost 6, not 2!!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:37 am

They'll be wanting a red Jag next. :-)

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:03 pm

Anselmo has bloat again. He was fine this morning and I found him hunched up under his stool when I came home tonight.

He'd had 1cc of Metoclopromide 45 minutes ago and 3 rounds of vibrating. He keep going and putting himself head first in a corner and sitting still.

He's got the hot water bottle sound when you move him. He had done 4 poops.

I'm going to give him half and hour then take him to the emergency vet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:32 pm

Poor guy. At least he is in the best of hands.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:43 pm

Thanks Lynx. We're at the energency vet now, he's off getting a scan.

I'm not feeling too positive as he looks dreadful and I'm quite certain it's fluid bloat.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:28 am

Sorry to hear that he's not well and a trip to the emergency vet was needed. How is he? Hoping that things are better. Sending my best wishes and healing vibes.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:26 am

I hate hearing your little one is doing poorly. I'll be thinking of him and you.