Zoe's Medical Thread

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:45 am

Here are a couple of pictures of Zoe's toe nails. I didn't know which one was better. I have an appointment to take her in Monday morning to see her vet. The toe attached to the dark nail seems a little swollen.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:53 am

Oh, that is very helpful. Do you want me to add your pics permanently to the thread? I do think it is dried blood. Did the really black one bleed lots?

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:15 am

Thanks Lynx. Please add my pics permanently. I noticed no blood at all. Last Saturday I just noticed two black nails and now only one is all black and only the tip of the other one.

It is the slight swelling of the toe that has me concerned.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:21 pm

Let us know what the vet says. I'd be concerned about the toe swelling, too.

It looks almost as if blood clotted *inside* the nail vein.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:50 pm

I am thinking some sort of trauma to the toes, maybe during floor time?? I didn't allow her floor time until April 7th, two weeks after surgery.

I have a feeling it must have happened between April 7th and when I noticed it on the 11th. From March 24th up until April 7th I was checking her incision daily in front of the bathroom mirror. Surely I would of noticed something so obvious unless I was so focused on her incision and missed it.

It will be interesting to see what her vet says. I will let you know her findings.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:08 pm

You know I vaguely remember one of them stumbling when they went from the floor to the lower floor time cage. I have a 12" x 12" fleece covered platform (like a large step) so they don't have to jump the 5" from the floor to the cage area. I am pretty sure it was Zoe that stumbled. It is very possible that is when it happened.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:29 pm

You could also soak her foot if you wanted to (for the swelling). www.guinealynx.info/.html

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:07 pm

Giving her foot a soak certainly wouldn't hurt.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:09 pm

We had an X-ray done and Zoe has a subluxation of her toe. The X-ray showed one of the joints is slightly out of alignment. We were sent home with Metacam for 2 weeks to help with the inflammation. You can see the healthy nail starting to grow out behind the dark blood. Her vet said that toe may always be a little larger even after it heals.

I am thinking it happened the day she slipped when jumping into her floor time cage. She definitely landed on her left back foot.

Her vet also removed a stitch with a knot that had worked its way out of her incision. So the trip was well worthwhile.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:33 pm

I am not sure when to give Zoe her medication. I wish I had them give her a dose when I went to the vet. Morning would be the best time because she would get the most benefit from it during the day.

I don't want to make her wait until tomorrow morning but if I give her some now I can't give her the next dose for 24 hours.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:56 pm

That is very interesting. Never heard of subluxation before! Hope she heals well and quickly.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:53 am

Yes you can. Metacam dosing is a lot more flexible than vets want you to think it is.

When we've been in a situation like this, we'll give a half-dose (or a little more than a half-dose), then the second half-dose 12 (or so) hours later.

They're not exactly nature's most graceful creatures. ;-) Hope she heals up just fine.