Drooling, not eating

pinta

Post   » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:23 pm

You can get things delivered in Europe in 2 or 3 days but it costs a lot. Usually in the $70. range.

Snail mail is supposed to take 6-10 business days but there is no guarantees or tracking.

That said, snail mail has worked well for deliveries to Australia.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:32 pm

See if someone can help you. If you cut it out according to the pattern, hand sewing it is not too bad. I think (but am not 100% sure) that I may have sewn part of one many years ago? When you were in VA, Pinta?

Read over www.guinealynx.info/_broken.html for an idea of how bad cutting the incisors too short is!

pinta

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:03 am

There is not a lot of hand sewing necessary. Mostly sewing velcro to the straps and then there are two stitches to join the top of the Chin-Sling. I don't recommend the self stick velcro - it pulls away too easily and is almost impossible to get a needle through to reinforce with stitching.

It is still a bit of a fight to hand stitch the velcro to the neoprene - a thimble helps.

The neoprene should be about 1/8"thick.

The most important thing is to get the measurement of the head right. Most people don't get the tape measure tight enough. I recommend measuring 3 times.

A 1kg pig is usually about 6" Head measurement. If your pig is 750 grams and you've measured 6 1/2 " you've measured wrong.

Rufi

Post   » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:52 am

I couldn't get velcro in the weekend, so I got ready with the Chin-Sling just now. I had to make it a little bit shorter, Rufi has only 430g, he is a small pig. He doesn't like it (hand feeding is harder), so I will increase the wearing time gradually.

As a good news, he has on his menu a new item: cabbage(he also eats on his own the soft part of cucumber).

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:01 am

Don't give him too much cabbage if he isn't use to it. It can cause gas problems in pigs.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:13 pm

Ditto Pinta. Give him only very small amounts and make sure his body can handle it properly.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:59 am

How is your piggie doing?

hanna

Post   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:58 am

Couldn't some of you guys living in USA just send one over to them? I've orderd this and that from USA and delivery has been quick even without express. DHL only charged 20 eur last time (25usd app). I was wondering if there is point to put a small package of critical care into the box, too? I can assist in payment if that is a case.

Rufi

Post   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:02 am

@SardonicSmile: Rufi is active, lively, cleans himself, even put some weight on him, eats on his own only cucumber and cabbage, but only in small amounts. He wears his chin-sling multiple times a day, though he doesn't like it (he fights when I want to put on him the chin-sling, which is good a sign).

@Hanna: Thank you for your idea and kind offer! The problem is that in my area Guinea pigs are not common pets, the vets have no experience with them, I had to travel to another town to get x-rays and his molars cuts. Consequently, one cannot find Critical Care or has to order pellets from the internet. I usually order my sporting apparel from amazon and eastbay, and have to wait for 3-4 weeks (and go to customs). Anyway, I thinks his feeding is ok, since he is on this diet for 7 weeks and seems to be ok. Also, money is no issue, I would pay the required sums of money to ease his pain or get him well (in the end, I am the one who caused all this, since I stepped on him).

SardonicSmile

Post   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:46 am

Glad he is doing well! Hope he keeps improving.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:49 pm

Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

Also -- bless you and thank you for caring for him so well and carefully after the accident. Many people would not take responsibility and would not care. Thank you for being one of the good folks.

Rufi

Post   » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:08 am

@Talishan: Thank you! I can say the same thing to you and others who help with information and advice...

I will post whenever there is a change in Rufi's situation. In the meantime, I stopped administering pain killers, since I don't see anymore a difference in his behavior - I don't think he has jaw pains anymore. He is curious, lively, only that he will/can't eat on his own. He also swallows 2x times faster as before when I hand feed him.