Urinalysis increased bilirubin / protein

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:22 pm

Shouldn't be a problem. Nolvasan is a veterinary disinfectant/antimicrobial (it can even be used in their mouths in very small quantities). It's good you thought of it and to mention it, though.

daveandtiff

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:46 pm

Thanks, Talishan. I know we were given Novalsan from one of our vets to use topically (diluted 20 parts water, 1 part Novalsan). Had bought some later, but then when I received bottle it stated 'for animal premises use only'. So are there two types of Novalsan?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:00 pm

No. There's Nolvasan (for veterinary use) and Hibiclens (for human use). The active ingredient is the same, chlorhexidine gluconate, albeit in different concentrations.

You can dilute Nolvasan to cleanse a wound; just dilute it, such as 20 parts water to 1 part Nolvasan. Use full-strength to clean the floor.

Note: it appears that the veterinary formulation has changed to chlorhexidine diacetate. Same idea, though.

daveandtiff

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:21 pm

Okay, good knowledge.

You know, in the past we had two situations - a mammary tumour with area of tissue that had opened, and a ruptured cyst - we needed to keep surrounding tissue clean. We did use Novalsan at one point years back when given by vet, but since we have used diluted hibiclens and/or diluted betadine. Had read hibiclens has a bit longer lasting power as an antimicrobial than betadine, but that when interchanging the two there is less chance of resistant strains of bacteria. We never had infection for our boy with the open mammary tumour (was over a few months as was hard for tissue to heal while he was laying on it, and because he was so much older), and the cyst for our other boy was also maintained and healed nicely with cleansings. Otherwise, tend to use salt water soaks as well for cleansing and wound or tissue healing.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:55 pm

That's a good approach. You can also use sterile saline (old-fashioned contact lens solution).

Chlorhex is a powerful topical antimicrobial but can be very drying. We'll use a diluted chlorhex solution, or diluted Betadine, interspersed occasionally while primarily using sterile saline.

daveandtiff

Post   » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:57 am

Have two large bottles of saline solution for this purpose, Talishan :) Also, sea salt handy.

He's been acting normal, monitoring for blood and sludge alternating white and dark blankets throughout the day, only about a cm sludge noticed once. Have not heard much grunting (I believe one very undertoned grunt yesterday and he was just eating when I peeked), but it is very random anyway. Going to run some urines on all of them when we get the strips.

We are using Oxbow Cavy Cuisine and KMS Hayloft TC pellets primarily, with a couple of natural treat kibbles that I use sparingly and primarily for the other boys when I do, though I have not refreshed kibbles as frequently in order to promote the hay consumption. I drop hay in 15-20 times a day anyway, so is never an issue, just they are probably relying on it a bit more. Also, I give them 3/4 tsp of crit care twice a day as a treat (notice it's lower in calcium than the kibbles). What kibble(s) has the absolute lowest calcium, but still the necessary nutrients?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:36 pm

In the US, probably Kleenmama's, but I will defer to others that have done more research.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:16 pm

KMS Hayloft has the lowest calcium, and also uses something other than calcium carbonate for the calcium source. Mine are pelletless, but KMS are the only ones I'd consider using.

daveandtiff

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:42 am

Thanks for that info bpatters and Talishan. Am glad we are using kms then. (KMS and Kleenmama's are the same company?)

bpatters, going pelletless, is that recommended for those with stones mostly? What are the main foods you offer? I did find a bit of sludge again under our boy and have been decreasing most calcium-rich foods. Just want to get the right amount of nutrition in with however our guys eat, and keep stools from shifting to soft.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:03 am

I took mine off pellets because my sow had stones in spite of being fed only KMS (yes, that's Kleenmama's) pellets since she came off Oxbow Performance at six months.

Daily, mine get red or green leaf lettuce, carrot, bell pepper, belgian endive, radicchio, summer squash, young green beans, and tomato. Every day that I can find some, they get corn husks and silks.

They also get a vitamin C supplement, at my vet's insistence, because one of them was losing weight and her coat looked poor. He believes in supplementation for older pigs, and they're nearly six. I also give them an Oxbow Urinary Support tablet daily -- I have no idea whether or not that helps.

I also give them Oasis Multivitamin Drops for Guinea Pigs a couple of times a week. I know we have to be careful with multivitamins, but figure a little won't hurt and may help since they're missing all the stuff that would be in pellets.

daveandtiff

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:56 am

Your veggies sound very sim to ours, been increasing the husks/silks since reading about silks for stones and now that they are in season here. We also give small amt of fruits. We used to give Oxbow Vit C (ground in coffee grinder then put into syringe food, bc they would not eat them alone). Client uses Hyland Vit C and they take them from hand. Have used various Oxbow tabs, but as with you, was not sure if helping, possibly (when I had talked with the veterinarian advisor with Oxbow about the Joint Support tabs, had asked what research had been done on them before marketing them. They do work to make a good product in the lab, but had not had any studies or follow-ups on actual animal who had used them (a comprehensive look at actual effect the tabs had on animals, via labs, demeanor, etc). Had you learned anything about Missing Link supplement? We use very tiny amount occasionally in their syringe food treat.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:22 pm

We knew KMS Hayloft back when it was Kleenmama's Hayloft. But they changed their name a long time ago (KMS Hayloft has been around for years!).