Boars Behaving Badly II

clairey

Post   » Wed May 06, 2015 5:46 pm

I'd say a sofa is too small for proper introductions and possibly not neutral enough if you ever snuggle with either pig there. The more space the better since chasing is a natural part of the ritual. I use my kitchen floor since no pig is ever in there unless it's an intro. My hallway would give me more sq feet but I like a more square area to allow the chasee to escape without feeling trapped.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed May 06, 2015 8:24 pm

Thanks, clairey. The couch was a neutral area as I never snuggle piggies there, but maybe it was too small. It’s long but not too wide. It’s worked in the past but I’m not going to be able to take any shortcuts with this current intro attempt. How much square feet do you recommend? I was thinking the dining room might be too big and I should use the kitchen instead. Is there hope for a pairing which started out with Charlotte being so aggressive? Fluffy is fairly passive.

clairey

Post   » Thu May 07, 2015 6:58 am

My flat is only small so the area I use is maybe 4ft x 4ft and that seemed to work for boars. There's always hope but you have to stack the odds in your favour. One of my boars is the absolute epitome of calm (yet he's also the boss) and he's the one that makes the relationships work. Hopefully Fluffy is similar. I'd definitely bathe them both so they smell the same before you try again. I always sit out of reach behind a grid wall or whatever during intros and don't talk to or touch them (unless I ever have to break up a fight). You might feel mean but they have to work it out together.

Are their cages next to each other? I've found interactions through the dividing wall a decent indicator of intent.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Thu May 07, 2015 7:13 pm

I’ll block off an area a little bigger than 4 x 4 then. Their cages are in the same room but on opposite walls – maybe 5 or 6 feet apart. They can hear each other but that’s all. The tough part is when Charlotte starts to go after Fluffy. It’s hard to tell if she’s just going to poke her or actually bite her. I don't want Fluffy to get hurt. I’ve heard intros can take hours. What do you do for that long? I’m not very good at sitting and doing nothing.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sun May 10, 2015 2:39 pm

I’m going to try intros again tomorrow. Do I have to bathe the girls together or can I do each one separately? I’m thinking separate baths would be easier but if they need to bond in the bath, I’ll find a way to bathe them both at the same time.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun May 10, 2015 2:51 pm

Both together. The idea is for the bath to terrorize them both so much that they'll turn to each other for comfort.

Just put an inch or so of water in the bathtub and plop them in.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun May 10, 2015 3:23 pm

I similar suggestion I've heard is to put them in a container in a car, drive them around for a while and take them home. Not sure how that would work.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sun May 10, 2015 8:44 pm

Thanks. I'm a little worried about the logistics of bathing 2 at the same time. I'll do it when my husband is home so he can help if needed. As aggressive as Charlotte is towards Fluffy, she's actually a very scaredy girl. I'm worried she'll try to jump out of the bath if I'm not holding her.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun May 10, 2015 9:09 pm

Do you have a bathtub? She can't jump out of that.

clairey

Post   » Mon May 11, 2015 7:26 am

I use a deep bucket placed in the bath.

Personally I'd not worry too much about bathing them together this time, it's more about making sure they smell the same so they don't seem so scary to each other. Sort of faking that they're long-lost family. I bathe together after a fight to scare the aggression out of them and give them a common enemy to unite against - me.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon May 11, 2015 9:14 am

I was hoping to bathe them in the sink because it would be easiest on me, but I think I’ll try the bathtub. It will be safest for them and give them the most room. I’m also going to bathe them together even though it might not be necessary. After my earlier introduction attempts went so poorly, I really want to bring out all the big guns for this one.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon May 11, 2015 3:36 pm

In progress update: They had a bath together in the tub. I didn't wash their faces because I wasn't sure how to, without getting soap in their eyes and ears. I just wiped down their faces with a wet washcloth. I hope that wasn't a serious mistake.

They've been together for about an hour. Charlotte hasn't lunged even once at Fluffy. There is mostly lots of complaining noises and teeth chattering from both of them. They seem to want to stay about a foot apart at all times. They're in an open enclosure and they both keep trying to find places to get out and hide. I'm worn out and ready to move on, but they seem to still be in the early stages of working things out.