UK Piggy - Anselmo's Medical Thread

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Mon May 18, 2015 7:33 am

I ended up canceling the holiday. Anselmo was one of the excuses used but I had an anxiety flare up and thought it best to stay at home.

He's been okay over the past few weeks, no sign of the bloat returning yet *touch wood*

I have emailed the vet this morning about something else though.

If I open the window in the pigs room, even for a few minutes, I can guarantee his breathing will be rattly the next day. The heating is on, so if it did get cold it would warm up. And the other 3 pigs are okay.

On occassion the inside of his nostrils look damp, other days he's fine.

Last Saturday I woke up to him rattling really loudly. No snots, just wet in his nostrils. Eating and acting fine. I held him over some steam for a while, put a tissue dipped in Vicks near the cage and gave him a SnuggleSafe. I thought I'd probably take him to the emergency vet again or at least start him on the Baytril on Sunday morning.

Sunday morning all clear, nothing at all.

Last night I went to give him his meds and the hair under his nose was wet. Not snotty, just wet. No rattly breathing

This morning, all fine again.

I've Googled side effects of bendrofluazide and nasal congestion doesn't seem to affect humans. And I would have thought as it's a diuretic it would help rather than hinder his nose/breathing?

I've asked the vet to see what she thinks. I can get him on Baytril today if needed. I could possibly get him to the vet this week too if she wanted to see him, but he's no chance next week as my colleague is on holiday and the vet is an hours drive away.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 18, 2015 9:16 am

Pollen allergies?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon May 18, 2015 2:30 pm

The bendrofluazide could actually be drying his nasal passages to the point where he's wheezing, or his body is secreting more fluids to accommodate the dryness. This is just a guess, but my nose runs furiously and I wheeze and cough some in cold, dry weather. I'm clearest in moist, warm weather.

Best to him and to you. Please keep us posted.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed May 20, 2015 3:32 am

I was wondering that too Lynx. I'll mention that and Talishan's idea at his next vet appointment as that will be in another month or so.

I've had a reply from the vet and she said that as I described the discharge as looking more like water and any sort of mucus/snot like then she suggests I hold off on the Baytril and keep up with the steaming, snugglesafe, extra hay routine if his nose seems crackly. He's still eating and acting fine. I accidentally frightened him yesterday and I've never seen him run so fast in his life, so he's definitely feeling active!

And if he gets worse I need to take him in and she'll give him some Septrin as Baytril isn't as effective.

Did I make it up, or have I read somewhere that Septrin can contribute to stones (Anselmo has had 2 bladder stones surgeries)?

She did also say that diuretics don't help with runny noses so the Bendrofluazide won't be helping it at all.

Also, she's not sure on heart, she said it's a possibility but they find it hard to diagnose 100%. But, if he gets worse then we'll definitely look down that route at his next appointment.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed May 20, 2015 4:30 am

Am not sure if this will help but for my asthmatic pig (Ollie) I have taken to burning eucalyptus essential oil (added to water). I close the windows and door in the gp room but check on the burner constantly, as well as to top up the water in the burner. I have at least 2 burners going on at the same time for the room, raised to sit on the same level as the C&C.

I find it helps as can hear a difference in her breathing afterwards. This together with nebulizations of saline have kept her from having a rumbly/congested breathing for several months.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed May 20, 2015 5:29 am

I'll definitely buy some, anything is worth a go, especially when he's quite rattly. Thanks GP_mum.

I know people are in two minds about your Vicks. The CCT are happy for people to put a dab on their nose. I'm not sure about it as they're stuck with a strong smell on their nose that they can't get rid of, and I don't really want them eating it.

I have put a bit on a tissue before and left it near the cage just in case he can smell it.

Even if we don't think it'll help Anselmo I'm going to mention nebulisers to the vet next time I'm there. It's good information to have on hand, as to whether they'd offer it to anyone, or where we can get the components if we were to try it ourselves.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 20, 2015 11:56 am

I doubt septrin is a significant contributor to stones.

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed May 20, 2015 12:06 pm

There has been talk about it, but no firm evidence that I can find. I think it's another possible theory. However, I'd always give septrin to a stone pig with an infection. It's a short course, and a small amount. You could discuss other abs. TEAS has a lws boy with URI on alternative antibiotics. Your vet could always discuss with Simon or Kim.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed May 20, 2015 7:33 pm

As far as heart goes, it's very difficult to diagnose definitively -- except at necropsy. Go on clinical signs when considering a trial of heart medication, if you can get your vet to go along with it.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Thu May 21, 2015 3:33 am

Anselmo has had Septrin before, when he had stones previously. It's like Critical Care isn't it, worth the risk of stones if it's helping the pig in some other medical way.

I've had a pig on heart med's before, even after his death it wasn't 100% certain he had a heart problem (he has a few other issues on necropsy too), but the med's did help.

Anselmo doesn't seem anywhere near as poorly as him at the moment, so I think I'm happy to continue giving him his stone prevention med's and seeing how things go.

I've had Marbocyl prescribed before, but I can't remember who for, I'd have to look at my records. But, I think I'd be happy to go for a short course of Septrin if needed.

Today he's not sniffly at all, and inhaled his breakfast as usual. I think he just likes to keep me on my toes.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu May 21, 2015 7:40 pm

Of course. :-p

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Sat May 30, 2015 2:28 pm

Just a reminder for me.

Friday 29th May 6.30am Anselmo only ate one piece of red pepper and a piece of carrot for breakfast. Not interested in anything else.

When back in cage he stretched/dragged himself out of the cuddle cup ao I thought bloat was starting.

Gave him 0.6ml of Metoclopromide.

Watched him on PigCam from work. Around 1.30 pm he came to where I could see him eating hay clearly.

He's been okay since.