White spot in eye... calcium deposit?

newwave_polly

Post   » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:22 pm

A little while ago I noticed that my guinea pig, Moe, had developed a little white flek in his eyeball. It's not in the middle of his eyeball, but more off to the side, near where his eyelids come together at the back. (Not sure if I described that right, but we'll see)

The vet has seen it, but it wasn't his regular vet. She said that dogs and cats can get fat deposits in their eyes, but she looked it up in a book, and told me that it was most probably a bone fragment developing in his eye. She said that because it's not in the middle of the eye, that it's probably not affecting his sight at all. She seemed more stunned by this than anything.

Now, I don't know if it's in my head or if it's for real, but it seems like this "white thing" may be getting a bit bigger than it was origingally. Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing? ...and what can I do to make it go away, or at least not get bigger?

Any help is appreciated....

nwpolly

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:26 pm

I have a pig with the same thing. Vet said it's no big deal. I don't think I have ever heard exactly what it is, but several vets have seen it and they were not concerned. Tubbit's is bigger than it first was, but now it hasn't changed in a long time.

newwave_polly

Post   » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:28 pm

hmmm... Thanks KarasKavies. It sounds like it's maybe not much to worry about then?
I wonder what causes it... diet, genes? huh.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:12 am

Osseous choriostoma

Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents has a paragraph on it. Several other references mention it. It's not uncommon in cavies and there is no treatment.

They don't know exactly what causes it in cavies, but the species does have a habit of putting calcium where it doesn't belong. That has been known for some time. Metastic calcification is also common in cavies where the Ca can be in various organs.

newwave_polly

Post   » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:22 pm

Good to know! This is my first experience with it, and it was hard to find info about. Thanks!