Drooling, not eating

Rufi

Post   » Sun May 17, 2015 7:59 am

I stopped feeding Rufi fresh grass, and the diarrhea subsided in around 1,5 days. Meantime I give him poop soup. I will start to reintroduce grass in his diet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 17, 2015 10:11 am

I would let him stabilize for at least a week before you introduce fresh grass again. Make absolutely sure it is nice clean uncontaminated grass (no dog pee or poop).

pinta

Post   » Sun May 17, 2015 1:21 pm

You could try him on other greens. Julienne them so they resemble grass in shape.

The safe second growth of grass is what comes up after the first mowing.

Watch out for clover - can have the same effect. Has to be introduced gradually. Once their systems are used to it they can handle more.

Rufi

Post   » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:36 am

I would like to express my gratitude to all of you who helped Rufi survive! Without your wonderful community, he would not be here... God bless you!

Rufi steadily gains weight, though he would not eat hay. But hopefully this will change until autumn. In every other aspect, he seems normal and happy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:02 am

May he maintain good health!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:15 pm

Ditto Lynx.

Remember that YOU did the work. We can advise and support, but YOU are the one that handfed him, took him to multiple vets, and did everything you needed to do to help him recover.

You have kept your commitment to him throughout, and saved his life. That's important. Take some pride in that, too.

Rufi

Post   » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:54 am

Unfortunately, Rufi's ability to cut and chew has deteriorated.
Looking for the reason, I observed that Rufi's cheek is moist.
I presume there can be 4 reasons:
-weak jaw muscles
-overgrown molars
-overgrown incisors
-a combination of the above
Can you guys give me an advice? Of course, I could take him to the vet, but they are also inexperienced in these matters regarding Guinea pigs. I would like to save Rufi from unnecessary stress and pain.

Thank you in advance!

pinta

Post   » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:29 am

He needs to see the vet for a check up. If his molars are overgrown they will need to be planed. Has he been wearing his Chin-Sling and has it been on tight enough? You should be able to get a finger between the Chin-Sling and his cheek but it should be very snug but his eyes should not be watering.

Are his incisors aligned when he is wearing the Chin-Sling and is viewed from the front? If not he will need a pad on one side to nudge the jaw over into proper alignment. But if the molars have overgrown again, they will need planing.

Rufi

Post   » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:55 am

Thanks pinta!
I think he is wearing the Chin-Sling correctly. Looking at his jaw(which is slightly open) I think (hope) that his incisors are overgrown. I will take him to the vet today.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:18 am

DON'T let them cut his incisors too short -- if they cut them at all. Ideally the incisors don't need to be trimmed at all; only the molars, and those only if necessary.

They often "look" overgrown if you look at them from a human, or dog, or cat, reference point of view. If you ever see the incisors of a rat or mouse, though, you'll see something closer to what a guinea pig's are supposed to look like.

(Actually, a rat's upper incisors are normally shorter than a cavy's, but you get the idea.)

Rufi

Post   » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:08 am

Unfortunately Rufi's molars have overgrown again. The vet who planned his teeth last time is in vacation, so the operation will me made only on Monday.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:31 pm

I'm sorry they have overgrown. You're still weighing and hand feeding, no?