2015 Canadian Federal Election

tashab

Post   » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:15 pm

So, those of us who currently live in the Great White North will be heading to the polls in October to get ourselves a new federal government (hopefully).

The current federal government, led by Stephen Harper, has been in power since 2006. He leads the Conservative party.

The main rivals vying for the job of Prime Minister are:

Justin Trudeau, leader of the Liberal party, and mostly known for being the son of former Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau (who people either seem to love or hate with a fiery passion).

Thomas Mulcair, leader of the NDP (New Democratic Party). Mulcair has been a politician for a while, but as the NDP are traditionally the 3rd place party, he hasn't had a lot of time in the limelight.

I could go on for quite a while about why I think Harper has done, and will continue to do a terrible job, so I thought I'd start a thread in case piggypie, hammer, E or any other Canadians may want to comment/educate Lynx/etc

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:21 pm

Here in the states, there is big money involved in trying to get one or another politician elected. Ads can be misleading and can have nothing at all to do with the actual job of governing.

Do you think big money controls politics?

If you have a favorite Stephen Harper take-down you want me to read that covers your main complaints, I'd be happy to do so.

pig party

Post   » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:45 am

I know nothing of canadian politics and would love to hear more about what is going on there.

tashab

Post   » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:50 pm

There is money behind some things in Canada, but not to the blatant extent there is in the USA. Not surprisingly, the Conservatives seem to get a lot of it, since they are supporters of the oil industry in Canada.

Since they've come into power they have:
* reduced environmental protections in favour of more resource exploitation (largely the Alberta oil sands, but the effect is across the country)
* reduced funding to the CBC (the public broadcaster)
* tried to ban people from wearing a niqab during citizenship ceremonies (it got struck down by the Supreme Court)
* refused to attend the regular meeting with the provincial leaders (Premiers)
* reduced the health care transfer payments
* been embroiled in scandals in the Senate - several Harper appointed Senators have been found guilty of misspending public funds. Some paid the money back, and one major Senator (Mike Duffy) is currently on trial because it was sooooo ridiculous in his case
* have increased audits of not-for-profit organizations that are opposed to Harper's policies (and reduced funding for others). Most are environmental or ones that do health care overseas

And this is just the short list I can remember off the top of my head

piggypie

Post   » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:57 pm

Harper closed and discarded the content of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. Promised that the material would be available electronically (bad idea anyway). This was to "save taxpayers money" as not much of the public visits these libraries. Ok what about the researchers that do? The documents and books were then given away, thrown away and in some cases burned.

Harper made changes to Election Canada. Preventing them from encouraging the public to vote, talking about elections and running mock elections in high schools any longer.

The most recent is the security bill C51 that the UN is saying is a violation of human rights.

The treatment of our veterans is another concern about this government. They made changes to the benefit wanting to give veterans a one time payout. They make veterans prove that they are still disabled year after year, yup the leg is still gone or nope my eye is still glass.

The senate scandal is also involving the PM's office because after the audit that showed Duffy needed to repay $19,000 to the tax payers the PM's chief of staff wrote a check for the amount. I haven't heard what account that check was drawn on though and Harper denied any knowledge of the matter. However there are emails that indicate he knew.

There is the use of Cpp money to balance the budget.

There is the Canada Post issue. Where the government basically forced CP to sell itself by declaring that they needed to have money to cover all their long term liabilities. So CP is now making sweeping changes to mail delivery

piggypie

Post   » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:01 pm

Oh and the universal child care benefits that just happened. They made changes to the amount paretare paid. Increasing that amount and added money for children that had previously been considered too old. They also made it the same amount across all income levels. Nice right? Nope it's now a taxable benefit and they made a change to the income tax where you used to get money back. So now you'll pay back more than before.
This benefit used the be based on income levels and tax free

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:06 pm

Sounds mean spirited, short sighted, and greedy. I hate these kind of political moves.

tashab

Post   » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:15 pm

And they announced the increase to the Child Benefit back in December, but held back the extra money until this month, so parents get a 'big' cheque shortly before the election.
Which assumes that parents don't know how to math.

I would much rather have the NDP platform proposal of a national $15/day daycare plan than this taxable BS

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:12 pm

This reminds me of the fabulous "tax cuts" Wisconsonites got under Walker.

They amounted to a pizza for the average family. Not to mention, much more for the wealthy!

Don't know how much there is to it, but I read something about some firefighters who refused to sing the national anthem for Harper. Another site said this was fake news.

http://enviroshare.info/index.php/2015/07/26/canadian-firefighters-refuse-to-sing/

tashab

Post   » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:48 pm

Harper dropped the writ today.
This means that:
1) this election campaign will be 11 weeks (which is very long for us)

2) it was also a blatant attempt to outspend/bankrupt the rival parties' campaign funds, since they can't raise as many campaign contributions (not being connected to big oil and all)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:48 pm

How is it he can change things? I hope people are too smart to be fooled by his ads.

tashab

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:12 pm

This last term in power he's had a majority government, so the Conservative party has been able to push through a lot of things, despite opposition. Boo.

I also hope that people do the math and get him out!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:22 am

It is so frustrating to have destructive laws pushed through. This is the big fear if the Republicans controlled the House, Senate, and presidency.

piggypie

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:48 pm

They also add things into big omnibus bills to get them passed. I personally don't think they should be allowed to have omnibus bills, I think it's too hard for the politicians to make the correct votes.
The other thing that happens is even if the individual representative is against a bill they have to vote with the party or get kicked out. So if everyone in the area is emailing their MP (or MLA) saying they don't want a certain bill passed but the party supports it they have to vote the way the party tells them to. How is that good for the people?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:37 pm

Not good at all!

Here's an analysis of the Canadian election (don't know how representative it is. That there are 3 candidates instead of two, makes it harder to unseat Harper.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/03/1408458/-A-once-soc ... ian-Election

tashab

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:23 pm

Canada's always had 3 parties, with 3 leaders. Often, it results in a minority government, which I tend to prefer since they are *forced* to work with the other two parties in order to get anything done.
The NDP traditionally are the third place party. Usually the Liberals or the Tories are in the lead, so this will be an interesting campaign since the NDP seem to be in the top two this time around.

piggypie

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:21 pm

What about the Bloc? Does it count as a fourth party if they're only in one province?

There is SO much anti Harper/Cons on my FB feed that it's overwhelming. Not that I promote violence, but I often wonder what would have happened if he'd been shot during the attack on Parliament Hill rather than hiding in the closet.

tashab

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:16 pm

I don't generally consider the Bloc a fourth party, at least on the national level (since they are only in Quebec).
The Greens would be more of a fourth party, since they at least have candidates in all provinces and some of the territories.

My FB feed is pretty similar. Of course, most of my friends are NDP or Lib, so not entirely surprising . . .

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:45 pm

It is very tough when your friends are with you and it seems like the world is crazy and the bad guys get in anyway (I hope you and your friends find success instead!).

My wish is that everywhere, people learn what they can about government - hopefully they live in countries where their involvement counts.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:29 pm

And how about Wyatt Scott for Parliament?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG6fhub9HDQ

79 posts