Scott Walker's Record in Wisconsin

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:05 am

So Scott K. Walker is now on the big stage. He's spent most of his life as an elected official (ie: a public worker, one of those taxpayer funded "moochers" he has been so vocally and legislatively against), after dropping out of Marquette University, where he was censured for electoral malfeasance during an election for student body president.

Anyway, anyone who is interested in learning a bit more about his record in Wisconsin can watch this space. I'll be posting links to articles that outline the disaster he has created in my adopted state.

Walker created a public/private "jobs agency" (WEDC) that has been used as a slush fund to funnel money to donors and other "friends of Scott Walker" in the form of unsecured loans.

A lot of those funds have been completely lost as the companies failed - literally. Walker was the head of this agency. The bookkeeping of this agency would make an amateur accountant's head spin.

This article was written by the WI Center for Investigative Journalism, which the WI legislature tried to curtail/shut down in 2013. Walker and the republicans in the legislature have a pattern of shutting down any critical voices.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:27 am

I have watched what's been going on in my home state and it makes me beyond sad.

Walker is such a disaster.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:39 am

In the current budget, the legislature cut all state funding to state parks - so that services and maintenance will be slashed, fees will go up, and funding will be "privatized" (which is pretty much the goal of all ALEC-sponsored legislation, which this is). Wisconsin is being sold off to corporations. I can't even say "highest bidder" because a lot of state assets are sold in private, no-bid negotiations.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:43 am

If you're interested in how the Wisconsin State Budget is put together, you can visit The Wisconsin Budget Project website. Some of it is "wonky" and a lot of it discusses numbers (not my strength!).

If you consider that a budget is a list of social and cultural priorities, you can see where Walker's priorities lie. Hint: it isn't with ordinary working people.

If you think that "fiscal conservatives" create balanced budgets and invest taxpayer dollars wisely, take a look at this website. Walker has created budget deficits ON PURPOSE so he has an "excuse" to cut programs. He continues to cut taxes, build the deficit, and cut more and more programs.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:44 am

Man, I loved Devil's Lake State Park! Parks are so important to all of us! What an irresponsible and hurtful thing to do - all so people with giant bucks can make more money!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:02 am

Editorial in The Guardian that discusses Walker's policy opinions on immigration, LGBT and minorities.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:05 am

On foreign policy, which Walker doesn't have much practical experience with, other than comparing the anti-Walker protesters (college kids, middle-aged folks, teachers and retirees) to ISIS/ISIL, he's clear he'd be bombing Iran or taking other military action on "day one" should he be elected.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:42 pm

I hate war mongers. So long as they are not the one fighting and losing their life, they are happy to push others into war.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:10 pm

Scott Walker has a history of hiring shady folks to break the law on taxpayer's dime (he did it as MKE Co Executive, and likely did it as Governor). The "John Doe" investigations looked into these shenanigans. He also has some problems with his gubernatorial campaign and illegal activities by PACs. "John Doe II" was looking into this as well, until the Wisconsin Supreme Court shut the investigation down.

Read about the conflict of interest between the justices on the WI Supreme Court (elected officials) and the PACs who financed their campaigns.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:42 pm

Yes, it is shocking how the very people who could investigate him have been bought and paid for. Is there any discussion of bringing this to a federal court?

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:29 am

Good morning peeps! (I suspect I have an audience of one who is probing the painful socket by reading what she already knows of her natal state).

Here is a New Yorker article about Scott Walker and the end of campaign finance reform, related to the link above about the WI Supreme Court.

Read and weep. This isn't just about Wisconsin.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:42 am

Walker's tenure as MKE Co Executive was fraught with problems (covered up by the press and by his powerful cronies).

Here is an article from last year about how Walker shut down the poor by refusing to staff their programs.

He did all kinds of sh*t like that, including breaking the county mental hospital (where abuse was rampant against the patients), deferring maintenance on public properties, resulting in the death of a teen. He sent an email about that one, telling everyone to hush up so it didn't spoil his chances to be governor. Nobody outside of MKE knew of his malfeasance because the press was essentially hushed up.

RooneysGMom

Post   » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:05 am

No, no SF you have another interested reader! Even though we now live in Colorado, I'm still in awe of how stupidly blind so many Wisconsinites are when it comes to their governor and his shenanigans. It truly makes me sad to see the damage he's done to WI, especially since my son, daughter, and four of my grandkids still live there. And I fear for the future education of those grandkids due to Walker's seeming hatred and decimation of the educational system. :(

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:36 am

Thanks Rooney! Be sure all your non-WI friends know about how dangerous this guy is now that he's running for the highest office in the land.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:21 pm

Given he has a good shot at being the republican candidate, it is indeed vital that people know what he is all about!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:25 pm

Scott Walker wants to eliminate the EPA and let states "regulate" pollution.

This is the guy that eliminated scientists from WI's DNR (Department of Natural Resources) and forbade the agency from using the term climate change, wanted to set up an open-pit iron mine in a pristine wilderness, has let frac sand mining run unchecked in western WI, has supported legislation that PREVENTS local government from stopping mining or other extractions, who would love Nestle to come in and pump out all of WI's groundwater (and would also probably love to sell the water in the Great Lakes as well), who thinks it is fine and dandy to let developers fill vital wetlands as long as they make a "new" wetland somewhere else (that is, obviously, not where the wetland wants and needs to be), fights renewable energy, etc etc.

Not to mention that one state's pollution easily contaminates another state's air and water.

RooneysGMom

Post   » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:31 pm

As passionate as the majority of the population is out here about the environment and their state and national forest areas, I'm thinking Walker would have a very tough time selling his ideas on these subjects.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:05 pm

The legislature is packed with extreme right-wing republicans, so it isn't a problem getting the legislation passed. The time for moderation and "checks and balances" is long passed.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:55 pm

Article in The Nation about Scott Walker's ruthless "divide and conquer" politics (not to mention his dishonesty).

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:09 pm

That is a devastating take-down of Walker. I can't imagine anyone reading it wanting him anywhere near the presidency.

70 posts