Peekaboo's Medical

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:42 pm

I'm gonna take a guess that he's intermittently twisting an ankle, or similar concept. They are not nature's most graceful or coordinated creatures. ;-)

Neurological damage postop is emphatically very possible, however. I have had two vets tell me that cavies have a major junction of large nerve bundles near where our lower back would correspond to. We have had one develop paralysis after a difficult stone surgery. Anytime they are placed on their backs (stone, neuter, spay) and the surgery is extensive or delicate, I think there is a greater risk of involving or damaging these nerves, even though it may not fully manifest until a few days later.

We have had others develop a temporary paralysis that cleared, as well.

All that said, I think the feet look fine, too.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:54 pm

Not looking for advice - not yet, anyway. Any kind of comment is always welcome, though.

Peek's left eye - We (husband & I) can both see a very small sliver of white just inside the upper edge of Peek's iris, noticed first time last night - 7.29.15. It's a very narrow moon shaped area. No deformity in curve of the iris. Closest similarity is Osseous Choristoma:
Don't remember seeing it before and I tend to look into all of my pets' eyes a lot. Will be keeping an eye on it.

Behavioral abnormalities: The last 10 days, maybe 2 weeks, he's not only been anxious to avoid being picked up (normal), but now as soon as I get him positioned safely on my hand & wrist, he races up my arm as far as he can go and hangs his head as far out and down as he can; definitely wants to jump off/down. When he's in the big cage, he takes food willingly from my hand. When we snuggled last night, he refused it all: carrot, pepper, and lettuce. Unheard of for Peek to refuse food! Once I put him in smaller temp box, he ate as long as he couldn't see or hear me. This morning he came to me for his Vit C tab, as usual.

Will attempt to get a photo of eye if abnormality is still there this evening.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:01 pm

Did you change your laundry detergent, or use more bleach, perhaps, than you normally would?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:01 pm

I added image tags so people could see the picture you were referring to.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:04 am

Thanks, Lynx. I had one of those brainf**ts and couldn't remember how to do it. No to any laundry changes, Talishan. No longer use bleach; use detergent, detergent booster, and vinegar.

Here are pics of Peek's eye:
ImagePeek lft eye #2 7.30.15

and

Image[/url]Peek lft eye #3 7.30.15

Top shot is less blurry, but bottom shows the white spot along the top of the iris better. Feel free to delete or make whatever changes you'd like, Lynx. I can never decide which shot works better for records. I'm not sure but I also think he may be developing that fatty deposit (Pea Eye?), more so in the other eye than this one. Annual exams are due in November. I'll add this to the list of things to discuss with Dr. Baumgartner then, if I don't need to take him in before.

Tonight, he ate about half of what I gave him during cuddles. Only difference on my part was I had him on a blanket tonight instead of in a cuddle sack. Also, he seemed more comfortable in my arms this evening.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:38 am

Here is a crop of your clearer picture:

I think you are right on the calcification. And there may be some pea eye/fatty deposits.

If you get any more even clearer pics, you are welcome to add them.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:18 pm

Thanks, Lynx. Did you want a picture of the other eye which has what appears to be a much larger fatty deposit?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:06 pm

If you can get a nice crisp photo, sure!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:08 am

It blurred some when I cropped it, but as you can see the area very clearly in the un-cropped photo, I decided to use it:

ImagePeek right eye Pea eye 7.30.15

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:54 pm

Here's a slightly larger image:

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:50 am

I agree on the whitish development at the top of the eye -- one of the osseous-es (for lack of a better way to put it ;-).

Pea eye can be a sign of heart compromise. Does he show any of the other heart signs?

https://www.guinealynx.info/heart.html

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:54 pm

Talishan:

"May produce a "hooting" sound" - No

"Chronic upper respiratory infections (URIs)" - No

"Fluid in the lungs" – No

"Reduced activity, lethargy" – No popcorning or lap running since he first got a cagemate 1.5 yrs. ago. When I separated them and he had his cage to himself for a little while, I did see some, but none since (when) he’s housed with any other pig

"Loss of appetite and weight loss" - No

"Malocclusion" - No

"Enlarged heart on x-ray" – None noted, but we were looking for reasons for a limp, so…

"Ear margins may become necrotic from poor circulation
(necrosis on pink ears appears as black margins, on black ears as white margins)" – None noted, will look closer tomorrow (weigh & check-up day)

"Bluish or pale mucous membrane color" – None noted, will look closer tomorrow

"Difficulty coming around after being put under anesthesia" - Yes

"Deep sleeping, easy to pick up (does not run away)" - DEFINITELY not. He’s the least relaxed of all 5, and runs when I’m just talking to him.