possible urine scald

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:16 pm

oh, owee. That looks so painful! Yes, i talked to my boyfriend, and he said that if it doesn't improve by this weekend we'll be going down(the the vets, i mean). The only sign of discomfort i see is sometimes when she is sat down on my chest when i pick her up, she'll pick her foot up off of my chest and hold it against her for about 1-2 seconds. It looks like she is just readjusting her foot, to get more comfortable.

Also, where it's 'swollen', well, its swollen, but there is also a hard like structure(i would almost say bone-like) in the toe. She doesn't react when you touch it, though. Just the normal squealing of, HOW DARE YOU TOUCH MY FOOT, HUMAN. She only really likes to be touched on her head.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:14 pm

Here are your pics, Delaine:

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:36 pm

Ginger is bleeding again. I turned them all out for floor time, so i could clean their cage, ect. My boy(Winter, he's fixed) had a strange pink smear on his face. Well, he's been after the girls all day, so i picked up Ginger to check. yup. Pink pee. I'm giving her .45 of baytril, and started syringing water again. I have KMS pellets, and KMS timothy hay. I'm feeding them a lower calcium diet, with 1/2 a cherry tomato, a small round of cucumber, a baby carrot, red bell peppers, and spring mix(which does have spinach). I'm at my wits end. She is healthy, eating, popcorning even. She just continously has these UTI's. I've gotten her checked for calcium in her urine, and she does have sludge, but no stones. I'm so frustrated.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:51 pm

For reasons unknown to me, some pigs develop a propensity to well-set-in, repeating URI's.

Lots of times what does the trick finally is an extended course of ABs -- either Bactrim (usually) or Baytril (if Bactrim doesn't do the job) for at least 21 days, or 28 or 30 (as opposed to the usual 14).

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:27 pm

She's straining while peeing and pooping, and she is bleeding. A lot. I think she may have tried to/ is passing a stone, and i'm trying to get into my vet, and, if not, an emergency vet. this is the brightest and most blood i've ever seen. i'm so freaked out.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:40 pm

Hoping for the best for her!

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:49 pm

Thank you, Lynx. She passed a stone at the emergency vets. it was scary, and ginger is exhausted. She is okay right now, but again, she is really tired. She came home with metacam and baytril. I'm giving her medicine and passing out, because that was very stressful and tiring for me, too.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:57 pm

Glad to hear she passed it!

What is the Baytril for? Is there evidence of infection, or is it precautionary?

Keep a small bottle of orange juice (ours prefer pulp-free) in the fridge. If you don't normally drink it, just note the expiration date and replace it as needed.

PinkRufus first posted on here to give orange juice to a guinea pig who's experienced/is experiencing significant bleeding. (It's the same concept as when the Red Cross gives you orange juice and Nutter Butter cookies after donating blood.) We've needed it several times at our house and it has made a *big* difference in helping pigs who've experienced significant bleeding recover. Most pigs like it and will take several cc's readily from a syringe.

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:53 pm

Oh, i'm so sorry. I was writing this late and on very little sleep. She is on baytril, and has been for about 2 weeks now. A few weeks ago she started with symptoms of a UTI, and so i was told to start her on baytril. I have been giving her good water, KMS pellets and hay, and mostly low calcium food(their lettuce((spring mix)) i get has spinach in it), which i am going to have to find some other lettuce to give. She was really lucky to pass this stone.

I always have orange juice in my home, because i drink it for breakfast every day or make breakfast smoothies with it. But i am worried about the calcium that is present in the orange juice i have on hand right now, so i'm going to have to look into a better type.

Also, any suggestions for a stone pig? I recently read something, somewhere, about a no pellet diet?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:44 pm

Review the stones page for more info.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

Bactrim works better for UTIs. If you find her appetite is deteriorating or her poops are getting mushy, it may be due to the Baytril.

www.guinealynx.info/_advice.html

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:12 pm

Thank you, Lynx. I will.

Bactrim wasn't working with her, so i took her to get a urine culture. My vet said with the type of bacteria that was in her urine, that she should be on baytril. She always does pretty well on it, as well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:37 pm

I am glad to hear that! Do you recall what bacteria it was that wasn't responding to the Bactrim and that the vet felt Baytril worked better on?