Switzerland - Guaranteed income?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:02 am

How a ‘stupid painter from Switzerland’ is revolutionizing work:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/how-a-stupid-painte ... nizing-work/

I stumbled upon this interesting interview with a Libertarian that provides an entirely different look at "the welfare state":

Libertarian Charles Murray: The welfare state has denuded our civic culture

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/libertarian-charles ... vic-culture/

As for Medicare and Social Security, one still has to recognize that we paid into it for years and years and years. We keep it going. My primary problem with Murray's proposal is that all programs and subsidies would be dissolved and rolled over into a single guaranteed income. Many old and disabled people do not have the option of working to subsidize this modest amount.

I do like the idea of building a community and increasing reliance of people on others.

SilentDave

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:23 pm

Very interesting to see a libertarian arguing for universal basic income. I haven't given serious consideration to the idea because in today's political climate it's pretty much utopian, but I think I'll revisit it.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:45 am

It is an interesting idea.

I also ran across this from PBS:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/hard-get-welfare/

Not being on welfare and never having been on welfare, I don't have any personal experience with the program. It does seem you really have to be destitute to benefit and with changes enacted in the Clinton administration to get people back to work, there are many fewer people using it. Seems there used to be much more job training but now, with all the cuts in job training programs and continued low wages (I support raising the minimum wage considerably), many people just can't pull themselves up, no matter how they try.

The PBS clip is not that long but summarizes the recent history of welfare pretty well.

pig party

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:49 am

It is an interesting notion given that the welfare system in the UK is not one that works and influenced my decision to seek out new turf.

It is also interesting given the position we are presently faced with here.

There was the question of how much the country needed bailing out for (admittedly very much tongue in cheek) and the suggestion that giving 14 million people a million euros each would have been a more cost effective means of lifting the economy. The notion being that 14 million people would have put their millions in the bank, spent it, started businesses with it, and no one would have been in a position to quibble about paying their tax bill!

I see flaws, but then this is intended as a work in progress rather than a done deal. I am very much in favour of revisiting our ideas of what 'work' should bring us and rebuilding what it means to act as a collective, something that for me died under the Thatcher reign.

Wheekers3

Post   » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:39 am

The Welfare to Work policy helped us further Mr Wheekers education to secure an BS in Science - engineering. We were very grateful for it. Many side classes were made for resume tuning, dress for sucess type stuff as well.

I was pregnany in the 8th month when Mr. found himself unemployed after shooting his mouth off to a boss. Mind you this is never his demeanor, and frustration of crappy equipment brought the argument on.

Needless to say we were quickly humbled. ***Make it be known the majority of recipients do not wish to rely on it, as its no picnic. If you see a recipient with an iphone or nice car they are supplimenting income (cough drug sales cough ) or lost work very unexpectedly, like us. (we had neither,fyi )***

It was embarassing and humiliating, but saved us.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1