2015 Canadian Federal Election

piggypie

Post   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:54 pm

He knows that he'll never make it, but everyone was talking about it.

I'm more interested right now in the Duffy trial. It's proving to be rather interesting.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:02 pm

A pretty clever ad (fun to watch).

Is there danger by having too many candidates and as a result, giving the edge to the most destructive party?

piggypie

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:20 pm

Yes I suppose too many candidates in a riding would have the potential to dilute the vote. Generally though there are only three or four candidates in any particular riding. You vote for the candidate (or party) you want for your area. Then the party that has the most candidates across the country is in power. That said, there is always the potential for a minority government, where one party has the most seats, but the other two parties combined have more seats.

I tend to prefer when there's a minority government because it keeps the BS to a minimum. It requires cooperation from two parties to get bills passed etc. However our current PM prorogued parliament to prevent the other parties from voting against his party. Basically a crap maneuver in politics to make everything stop for a period of time.

tashab

Post   » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:30 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/opinion/sunday/the-closing ... w-share&_r=3

Thought this was pretty good, especially for an American publication

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:56 pm

What a dismal man the article paints Harper! Sometimes if there is economic hardship, more people will "throw the bums out".

He doesn't sound like a politician that should be running any country!

tashab

Post   » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:47 pm

Raffi - yes Raffi, the famous Canadian children's entertainer who wrote Baby Beluga - has written a little ditty called "I Want My Canada Back"
Last election, he was just encouraging young people to get out & vote. This time, he's basically saying Harper sucks, and please go vote him out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMnxSAHgBc4

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:59 pm

I loved Baby Beluga years back.

Glad he's on the right side. Voting is actually required in some countries.

tashab

Post   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:10 am

Stephen Harper & the Conservative Party are now the only major federal party who have opted to *not* participate in the only debate on women's issues this election.
The NDP, Liberals, Greens and Bloc Québecois are all participating.

And it is not like this is a piddling debate - it is being hosted jointly by Oxfam Canada and the Alliance for Women's Rights, both of which are large organizations.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:21 am

I hope they get punished for it (i.e. lose votes).

piggypie

Post   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:49 am

They (Conservative Party) have shown lack of regard to women's rights all along so this isn't surprising. Harper's total disregard for the missing indigenous women saying to Mansbridge that it isn't high on his (their) radar... This is just one of many things the Cons have done to limit women's rights. I don't have time to list them all, but you can google it if you choose.

I am really scared/excited about what's going to happen in this election.

tashab

Post   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:35 pm

I agree, piggypie. I'm not surprised.
I work in the not-for-profit sector, so I've seen a lot of the terrible crap they've done there too. It wasn't all pulling funding from anti-oil-pipeline environmental groups. Quite a few developmental organizations that do women's health lost their funding or were/are undergoing more stringent than usual CRA audits too.

piggypie

Post   » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:37 pm

There's a new pool of voters for this election. The ABC voter. They're going to vote for Anyone But Conservative, they're looking to determine who is the best candidate to defeat the Con in their riding regardless of what party earns the most seats.

That pretty much sums up my voting strategy for this election. Though I would like to vote Green or NDP because of their promise of getting rid of first past the post. Alas, no more Harper is higher on my wish list. The Wheat Board sale was another straw that broke this camel's back.

tashab

Post   » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:40 pm

The wheat board thing was nasty.
I know a lot of people who are following the 'anyone but Harper' thing.
Luckily for me, the riding I'm in has a very well liked NDP returning rep, so it was how I would vote anyway.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:45 pm

I surely hope you succeed in ousting him!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:56 pm

It is so crazy that this is an issue in many countries in this day and age!

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:02 pm

I hope with a passion that he gets the boot. He has screwed up Canada more ways than one.

tashab

Post   » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:11 pm

Advance polls opened today! I'm voting tomorrow.

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:12 pm

Same here.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:30 pm

I so hope you get the politicians you feel will do the best job!!! (not Harper!)

79 posts