boycotts and houseguests

zookeeper
Even Booze Hags Give

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:42 pm

I choose to not buy products from certain companies. I don't get really militant about it, and I don't care if my friends boycott the same companies I do. However, all my close friends know the short list of companies I avoid and why, and agree with my reasoning.

Now here's the rub. I live in a beautiful area with lots of great events and activities, and frequently have weekend guests who drive up to 2 hours to spend time with me and mother nature.

I enjoy the company but sometimes there's boundary issues. The particular issue here is people who want to "help" and "contribute" by bringing supplies and groceries--and they bring in products that I'm boycotting.

I know that with big conglomerates owning many brand names it's not always obvious from the package who owns what. But the people concerned all have smart phones and all know who I'm boycotting. Is it reasonable to expect them to type "[company name] boycott" into a search engine when shopping for me?

How offended should I be when people bring this stuff into my house? Am I just being a bitch? Should I just smile and say thanks no matter what somebody brings?

Do I need to write up an explicit list, give it to invitees, and warn them that they risk not being invited back?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:50 pm

I'd just drop it if it were me. You're not spending your money supporting those companies, and you're not requesting that your guests do, either.

And you just said that you don't care if your friends don't boycott the same companies that you do.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:21 pm

I think I would probably not worry about it. If the stuff offends, you can always donate it to a shelter (assuming it isn't perishable).

tashab

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:37 pm

I agree with snowflakey - if it is more important to you to have relationships with these people, smile and nod, and then donate later.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:39 pm

I wish I knew more about the products I buy. No longer buy angel soft tissue because it is a Koch product. I don't care how cheap it is.

The only other alternative I can think of is thanking them kindly for bring up X ("so sweet of you..") but perhaps saying yours is an "x-free house" (they are welcome to bring it home instead). This means if this is what they usually buy, they will buy less of it because they haven't used some at your house.

I also feel a frustration not only regarding products but services. In tracking down some ALEC info, I see State Farm even has someone on their board of directors. So do a couple other large insurance companies. No idea how I would vet a new insurance company.

jacqueline

Post   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:47 am

I have sometimes found that provided s suggested list of what to do/bring is moe effective than a list of what not to do/bring.

It can be awkward, but if you know folks are coming and if you know they're going to bring stuff, perhaps make certain requests that are in line with your meal plans?

Also, humor can soften lots of things. Maybe a little "Houseguest Brochure" reminding people of what you boycott in a light hearted way, alongside all the amenities you offer as hostess?

I don't think you're being too sensitive. These things are important to you. It would be nice if the people around you could really hear and respect that and not blow it off like it was a cute little whim. It may not be important to them, but it is important to you. [/i]

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:34 pm

Oh no! Angel Soft is Koch Bros.??!! Lynx, you just ruined my day!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:59 pm

Truth be told, I actually bought a plain 4-pk of angel soft yesterday with a Kroger coupon -- it cost me 14 cents. But I used to buy it all the time. Now I just look for other brands on sale. Northern toilet tissue is also a product they produce:

-Angel Soft
-Angel Soft Ultra
-Brawny paper towels
-Dixie products
-Insulair cups
-Mardis Gras napkins
-Perfect Touch cups, paper products
-Quilted Northern
-Sparkle paper towels
-Vanity Fair napkins & paper towels
-Zee Napkins

-Georgia-Pacific Office products
-Spectrum paper
-Georgia-Pacific's enMotion paper towel dispenser
-Georgia-Pacific's engineered lumber

I got this list here:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/04/01/1288957/-Sign-the-pledge-Don-t-buy-these-Koch-products

There are also a bunch of lesser known things on the list. Perhaps a google search will turn up something more accurate.

I don't use paper towels or other products on the list anyway so it was only really tp that mattered.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:09 am

Thanks for the list. I knew about Brawny - told a shocked coworker about that & she was almost in tears. :P

Indess

Post   » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:44 am

I think should have shared the details of the companies that why to boycott it. So we could also be aware of those scam companies.

10 posts • Page 1 of 1