Drooling, not eating

pinta

Post   » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:05 pm

Can he still tolerate the Chin-Sling? If the tongue isn't entrapped and he can tolerate it he will be able to do some grinding on his own while waiting for the vet appointment.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:44 am

Best to him and to you over the weekend, and on Monday. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

Rufi

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:27 am

I am weighing and hand feed him.

Regarding the Chin-Sling, I am thinking that maybe he shouldn't wear it, since he should eat as much as he can (he still eats on his own certain foods, though not with ease). And regardless, his teeth will be planned on Monday.
Can he wear his Chin-Sling right after the operation?

I hope I can post some good news on Monday. Until then, thank you all for your thoughts!

pinta

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:57 pm

Wait for 3 days after the procedure before he wears the Chin-Sling and make sure he is on pain meds.

His mouth will be sore and his teeth sensitive right after the procedure.

Rufi

Post   » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:13 am

Fortunately Rufi survived the 7 hours long trip and the operation.

He had overgrown molars only on one side of his jaw, I presume he is (hopefully was) chewing awkwardly because of the pain caused by the dislocated jaw.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:52 pm

Poor guy. I hope with your care (diligent weighing and feeding when necessary) he turns around. Were you given pain medication?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:32 am

Ditto Lynx. How is he doing today?

Rufi

Post   » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:00 am

After the first molar trimming his face was very swollen, this time it is much better. I hand feed him and give him painkillers. I am not sure, but it seems to me that he already started to nibble at some food. Anyway, he is very exited when the food is delivered:).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:55 am

This is good. Keep going and please keep us posted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:18 am

The swollen face sounds unusual. Can anyone whose pig has had their teeth trimmed comment on this?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:05 pm

I think (and this is just a guess) that a vet that doesn't have a lot of experience with dental work, and/or the best (or right size) tools, is going to have a harder time planing the teeth without a lot of collateral damage to the cheeks, gums, tongue and buccal pads.

The spaces in their mouths are very small and very tight. It's almost impossible even for a vet with lots of experience and good tools not to have a few nicks or small cuts. The more experience the vet gets, the smoother the procedure should go. I think that's why Rufi's better this time than the first.

Rufi

Post   » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:06 am

Though this is a rather old thread, I will post Rufi's update.

The Chin-Sling has done it's magic! Rufi is eating hay again and, consequently, gained ~300 grams of weight. He eats slower as his buddies, but after a dislocated jaw on both sides, it is understandable.

Thank you all!