Scott Walker's Record in Wisconsin

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:18 pm

Editorial from a conservative opinionator for the Washington Post on some of Walker's weak points so far on the national stage.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:37 pm

Presidential material?

I think not! We'd be pretty far ahead if we voted for our favorite guinea pig!

Erinspigs

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:18 am

Vote for Bobs

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:36 am

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:29 pm

Some national coverage of the John Doe probe: Walker's office campaigning on the public's dime.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:24 pm

I hear Trump's take-down has had a bad effect on his popularity. Ironic how spot on he has been in his republican assessments.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:35 am

:-)

If it weren't for the racism, misogyny, hyper-nationalism, etc, he tells *some* truth.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:31 am

I also read that his supposed "good" jobs numbers (as in who is unemployed and collecting unemployment benefits) is likely being doctored by new regs and changes making it much more difficult to actually collect any benefits at all.

If you don't see it, it's not a problem.

Right.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:05 pm

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:58 pm

I read about that wall. The guy is out of his mind.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:20 pm

I think if Scott Walker wants to spend taxpayer dollars building a wall between us and Canada, I will go to the primary and vote for Donald Trump.

I am quite serious. In Georgia you don't have to be "registered" (well, other than to vote). You go in and ask for whatever ballot you want for that primary. You can't vote once for Republican and once for Democrat, which to my mind would be fairer, but still you can pick.

I swear.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:37 pm

That's like choosing between the frying pan and the fire, Talishan! Surely there's someone else in the field that's acceptable to you.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:58 pm

Yes, try that "I side with" site.

I think www.isidewith.com

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:15 pm

Lynx, I think she tried it. And got Bernie!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:19 pm

I did. I got Bernie, who I like and respect, but who is too far to the left on a handful of issues for me.

I'm a libertarian, and we usually come out very roughly 1/2 standard Democrat and 1/2 standard Republican. In the past I've tried to vote for who I thought was the best person for the job -- intelligence, honesty, demeanor, competency, ability to work with others -- even if I didn't 100% agree with their positions on issues. (President Obama falls into this category.)

Rand Paul isn't really a libertarian IMO; more like a trying-to-be-libertarian-ish conservative, although I do agree with many of his positions.

I was leaning toward Jeb Bush (if I were to vote in the Republican primary), but he's said some things I'm not comfortable with.

I really really really really really would like to see Joe Biden jump in. I have a great deal of respect for him, and he is moderate enough to not horrifically offend some of the more rightward leaning things I believe in. He is still grieving the loss of his son, though; his family has been struck by tragedy more than once, and I would not blame him one bit if he concluded that it simply wasn't worth it.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:28 pm

I really like Joe Biden, too, but I hope he doesn't run. The Republicans will slaughter him over those plagiarism incidents, and he doesn't need to go through that at this point.

I'm a left-leaning Democrat, but my enthusiasm for Bernie is that he seems determined to do everything he can to get big money out of politics. I thought when it was handed down than the Citizens United decision would be the death of democracy in this country, and nothing has happened since then to change my mind. I like that he's beholden to nobody, and would love to see someone like that at the helm of the country.

He's also pretty determined to break up the big banks, and that's something that really needs to be done. I was working as a programmer in J. P. Morgan's back office when the Glass-Steagall act was repealed, and the general consensus of the bankers were that they'd just been given a license to print money. And print it they have, and at the taxpayer's expense.

If he could accomplish those two things, I wouldn't care what else he did or didn't do. Those two will take us down as a country if something isn't done, and quickly.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:18 am

I don't disagree with a word you've said.

Perhaps I should qualify myself as a somewhat disenchanted and disillusioned libertarian. Businesses should be as free as possible from government regulation -- that is, if they can conduct their businesses honorably, ethically and morally, which they obviously can't, so at this point, regulate the hell out of them. I'd love to see Glass-Steagall reinstated, and that's an awful thing for a libertarian to have to say.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:06 am

intelligence, honesty, demeanor, competency, ability to work with others
Talishan, I think your stated preferences for the *person* are spot on. You know how I feel about Walker already, but let me state emphatically that he is NOT intelligent, he is NOT honest, he is NOT competent, and he ABSOLUTELY CANNOT WORK WITH OTHERS. I don't know if you've read all the articles that I've posted (I don't blame you if you haven't) but they are all pretty clear on those points. Honestly, the only policy position he has is the position that will get him elected: as you've seen, he'll change his mind on a dime. His "position" on the 14th amendment is pretty typical, but he's flipped and flopped on a host of others. His guiding philosophy is "divide and conquer." Wonderful way to bring together the people of the state/country.

Trump doesn't fit those descriptors either. Honestly, the only ones of the bunch in the Republican field who MIGHT fit those descriptors would be John Kasich and George Pataki, although I haven't studied their performance as elected officials in any serious way. Jon Huntsman (from long ago) actually seems like an intelligent, measured, moral, experienced Republican. You'll notice he isn't running.

I think that there are many ideas that orbit the "Libertarian" label that really appeal to people, but for myself, I have a huge problem with its guiding philosophies as exemplified by Ayn Rand - she was racist, elitist, selfish and cruel. I think that human history as made pretty clear that there need to be "governors" on human greed and power, and that government regulation will do that job better than "the market" or whatever Libertarians believe will curb excesses (although someone like Rand would say that excesses should not be curbed).

It would be great to end the war on drugs, and that is pretty much the overlap between my policy goals and those of the Libertarian party.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:31 am

This isn't about Scott Walker (directly) but more about my take on "libertarian" policies: how fiscal policy is social policy.

70 posts