Peekaboo's Medical

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:44 pm

Then for right now I'd just consider that pea eye, that for now at least isn't necessarily serving as an indicator of anything else. ("Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." ;-)

Without reading back, how old is he?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:02 am

Not sure; I was told when I adopted him that he was a year, but they were only guessing. He was definitely an adult. Going by his activity level and the intermittent problem with his leg, vets and I think he's probably closer to 4 or 5 yrs old. I've had him a little over 2 yrs.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:53 pm

Okay. In my experience they can begin to sleep pretty soundly at that age, without any heart issues. That said, it's also a prime age to start having signs that one may be developing.

Keep an eye out for the signs on the heart page, but don't be overly concerned about it, at least not for right now.

Keep us posted and best to him.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:23 pm

Thanks, Talishan. Will do.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:18 am

8/12 - I checked & attempted to clean Peek's ears. Not as bad as Fuzzbutt's, but pretty nasty all the same. Poor baby. He ended up with Cerumene down both sides of his head. But, on the plus side, his ears ARE a little cleaner. (Aside: I can't wait for my eyes to be legally-blind-55-year-old-100% again) He might be missing some brain matter.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:24 am

He'll get over it. ;-)

They hate repeat Hate REPEAT HATE having their ears messed with. But he will forgive you soon enough.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:40 pm

Strangely enough, both he and Flossie seem to enjoy a gentle stroke down the ear. Peek prefers the cheek rub or chin scritch, but he doesn't object to the ear touch either. Or didn't. Flossie will actually half close her eyes when I stroke her ears, almost as if in bliss. Horror maybe? :o)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:18 am

She thinks you are a giant guinea pig that is grooming her ears. :-)

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:04 am

Hahaha! :o)

Back to serious: Why would he cough quite a bit on Saturday, twice on Sunday (yes, really), not at all yesterday, then just in the hour that I've been up, he let loose with 3 or 4 coughs in one spurt?

Looks like it's back to the vet ASAP.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:19 pm

Sounds more like he's inhaling dusty hay than anything else.

Have you opened a new hay or pellet bag? Used a different kind of bedding?

Is he sneezing? Any sign of labored breathing, gunk around his nose or eyes?

Pigs with heart issues can have difficulty breathing and eating (or drinking) at the same time. Not saying this is what it is, just saying it happens.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:29 pm

Thanks, Talishan! For some reason, maybe it's because I feel he is much older than the others, when he acts in some abnormal way, I panic and fear imminent death. Ok, I do that with the others, too. :o}

As a matter of fact, I did just recently open a new box of hay. I managed to find some 3rd cut timothy, and tossed out the rest of the crappy 2nd cut I bought a month ago. They are really chowing down these days and as usual, Peek is the one sleeping in it also. I know how he feels: I love the smell of it!

So, as long as nothing is leaking, he's breathing normally, and runs from me just as fast as the rest do, I won't worry. Too much. ;o)

Knock on wood, he doesn't seem to be exhibiting more than a couple of your list of heart symptoms.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:59 am

Carry on. Third-cut is softer and while not necessarily dusty, they'll certainly stick their entire heads in it readily.

Hoping he'll be fine. Keep us posted.