Big Pharma and your doc?

pig party

Post   » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:43 am

Ah, big pharma. There's not a lot that can be said that probably isn't already known, but I thought this might stir a little interest?

It's only for the states, I am not sure if it is the same elsewhere (hence I shall leave it here and you guys can tell me). Stick in your doctors name and find out how much they may or may not be influenced by a backhander or two....

https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

(English GPs (MD equivalent) work under different 'rules' and for reasons known only to themselves, seem to be content with an endless supply of pens, post-it pads, diaries and mouse mats (granted the persuasive power of the mouse mat has declined in recent years) with drug names on, rather than actual renumeration. Maybe its more 'subliminally' based in the UK?)

Greek doctors are a law unto themselves I think.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:58 am

My favorite doctor has received $23,846 but this does not concern me. She also runs multiple studies funded by drug companies and I have been a subject in several of them over the years (mostly estrogen and progesterone related). So I expected she has received money. She's also put together conferences on women's health. She has never pushed any type of medications on me at all.

Neither of the two doctors who are my or my husband's internal medicine doctors (general) have received any funding.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:10 am

My internist got $127. I think I won't worry about that. But there are plenty in my area raking it in.

piggypie

Post   » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:42 am

The studies shouldn't be funded by the drug companies though Lynx. It influences the results.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:55 pm

These are definitely funded by drug companies. They are double blind studies. This is what drug companies do to get new products or different dosages for existing drugs.

One example is a randomized double blind 36 week trial comparing particular side effects between Femhrt and Prempro. Sponsored by Pfizer pharmaceuticals group that I participated in back in 2002.

pig party

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:02 am

I think the thing that alarmed me was just how much money the drug companies have to give to the doctors, especially in the wake of -

www.dailykos.com/story/2015/09/21/1423506/-Hedge-funder-defe ... under-priced

I am glad, really glad, that drug trials are being held, without them, and those who are prepared to take part in them, we would get nowhere- but ultimately what worries me is that, as the research/ advances are being by private companies they are ultimately soley profit driven advances.

In my current situation (and to be honest for all and anyone with a chronic illness) I feel there is a lack of any real progress being made by way of a cure, and in my opinion this is in part due to the fact that treating the symptoms is more profitable. My great gran, my gran and my mother all had/have severe chronic asthma, for example. My mother effectively takes the exact same meds my great gran took.

It just doesn't feel much like progress for all that cash? Maybe I am wrong...or just biased, lol.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:30 am

I hope more studies give answers for you and your mom/grandmother/etc.

piggypie

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:40 pm

Pig party interestingly there was a bit on our news last night about asthma. They've discovered that gut bacteria as an infant has a lot to do with who gets asthma and who doesn't. They are working towards a cure at UBC for asthma, and more importantly a preventative.

Wheekers3

Post   » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:03 am

My highest Doc was $17 grand, which threw me for a loop, until I saw the pricey amounts were monies paid to him for training in the device he will be installing in my spine. All the education he gains doing that I do not mind at all. So in some ways the totals are unfair. You have to dig a little for the less sensational side of the story.

Also if Lyrica wants to buy him lunch I really don't mind that either. Whats $10 or $20 bucks for Subway.

I will be bookmarking for later info though.

9 posts • Page 1 of 1