Oregon Shooting

jacqueline

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:04 pm

Just heard about the shooting at a community college:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/01/us/oregon-college-shooting/

Sooooo sad and sooooo tired of this. Condolences to all who are near or involved. . .

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:10 pm

How terrible! These killings just have to stop!

jacqueline

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:20 pm

I agree. Most people would. And after every one of these shooting, there's discussion and debate and everything else, but never a change in anything. . .

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:29 pm

It'll never change. More and more people will die, and Congress will never have the guts to do anything about it.

piggypie

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:07 pm

Congress likes the money they get from the NRA

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:20 pm

The only way to stop this is for us to stop treating each other like sh*+, and start investing in our nation's mental health.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:50 pm

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:08 pm

Wow, I didn't even THINK about the suicide statistics.

The picture at the top of the vox.com page brings back bad memories--of the kid who threatened to shoot me almost 12 years ago. I remember thinking "is it gonna hurt?"

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:44 pm

I never thought i'd be the one to say this. We need waaayyy more gun control. Way more. People keep dying like this left and right. It's terrible, and i don't want to keep seeing this kind of stuff on the news in our country. Let alone the families of the dead, or hurt, that have to deal with the aftermath. We also need to educate about mental health more in this country, and take mental health seriously.

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:17 am

Unfortunately, stronger gun control laws will never happen. We can blame congress but be honest... Who puts them there? We can blame the NRA, but who gives them the power? We can blame the mentally ill, but who fails to care for them? I'm just heartsick over all of this.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:01 pm

This has been making the rounds on Facebook, I hear. Love it!

"How about we treat every young man who wants to buy a gun like every woman who wants to get an abortion — mandatory 48-hr waiting period, parental permission, a note from his doctor proving he understands what he's about to do, a video he has to watch about the effects of gun violence, an ultrasound wand up the a#! (just because). Let's close down all but one gun shop in every state and make him travel hundreds of miles, take time off work, and stay overnight in a strange town to get a gun. Make him walk through a gauntlet of people holding photos of loved ones who were shot to death, people who call him a murderer and beg him not to buy a gun.

"It makes more sense to do this with young men and guns than with women and health care, right? I mean, no woman getting an abortion has killed a room full of people in seconds, right?"

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/10/03/1427451/-How-about- ... get-an-abort

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:08 pm

Both work for me.

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:27 am

Brilliant!!!

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2017

Post   » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:07 am

Love it!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:45 am

Touche, Lynx!

Love the Vox link, bpatters.

piggypie

Post   » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:03 pm

And now a little girl shot by an 11 year old boy over an argument about puppies.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:52 pm

Guns absolutely must be kept out of the hands of children. They should be locked up.

I understand legislation prevents suing gun companies. If people could sue, it is possible safer guns (that didn't accidentally injure and kill) could be designed and sold.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:01 am

You should watch John Olivers Last Week Tonight episode 53.

It deals with mental health and how it (does not) relate to most gun incidents.

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:37 pm

I was just sitting and getting angry over this. Glad to see others here feel the same.

I have a daughter in college and one going next year. I read that there is a college shooting almost every day. And yet, Congress does nothing.

I am so angry at the Republican suggestions that we arm teachers in order to protect class rooms. The idea is so stupid on its face that I can't fathom how anyone would suggest it. Either you have the gun locked up in a drawer, in which case it probably won't help you kill an armed shooter who enters your class OR you leave it where the kids can get to it. Duh!

An even better response to that suggestion was a letter from a kindergarten, or maybe elementary school teacher, who said something like "you want me to stand up to a gunman in my classroom because you are too cowardly to stand up to a a few lobbyists?" That is hitting the nail on the head.

I agree with Lynx's posting too.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:30 pm

This happened so close to home, and it is so sad. I wish gun control were more efficient. I do not think they need to be outright banned for literally everyone, but this is getting out of hand.

20 posts • Page 1 of 1