VeBee's Medical Thread

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:57 pm

It's the toys & hideys that get/got thrown away. Bedding gets washed. If all I have to do is treat the pigs, why are the stupid lice still here???? As for the cats - we've never seen anything moving on them, or noticed them scratching. After 2 years of many, MANY times of treating the pigs, it HAS to be me dropping lice/nits on the bedding when I change it.

I've checked the Ivomec dosage so many times I almost have the table memorized. I've cleaned the cages & bedding each time I've ever treated the pigs. The first few times of treatment, I was under dosing, and I was only treating them 7-10 days apart. The last year or year and a half, I've treated every 7 days on the nose, for a minimum of 3 weeks, and if anything I err on the high end of the dosage. Changing my clothes before putting new cages together is my last hope of getting rid of the damned things. If this doesn't work, I'll just have to keep using the Ivomec periodically to try to keep them under control and the pigs reasonably comfortable. And no more pigs.

I treated them twice for ear mites only a few months ago, using Revolution.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:05 pm

Maybe your ivermectin is out of date? Keep the dosing up for six weeks or more?

One site suggests changing to disposable bedding and throwing it out every day.

Another possibility might be to switch to Revolution.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:40 pm

Ditto.

Ivermectin's efficacy on lice is questionable. If it were me I'd give everyone 2 doses of Revolution, about 2 1/2 weeks apart.

If you can get PLAIN Advantage -- imidacloprid only, no added ingredients -- it will solve the problem. Bayer discontinued it, so it is extremely hard to find, although if you can find it you can keep it. Its shelf life is virtually infinite.

There was a Canadian veterinary pharmacy selling it online. The link is on here somewhere, I think. I've bought it from them and been completely satisfied.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:30 pm

Is this the place and stuff you're talking about, Talishan?

www.petsdrugmart.ca/ProductInfo/3097/Ad ... e-for-Cats

Ivermectin is still good until March 2017. Checked that a few minutes ago, and before I started using it this time around. *_*

We go back for Fuzzbutt's dental work on the 8th. It's gonna hurt the pocket and upset the husband even worse because I'm going to ask for more x-rays, but it MIGHT save my sanity if I also ask for 5 tubes of Revolution. Last time I used 1/2 tube on each pig (I know I wasn't exact) and think I went 2 weeks between each treatment. Does the extra half tube save or should I just ask for 10 tubes in case of over-applying on one or more pig? Can it drawn up into a syringe just like the Ivermectin?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:59 pm

Yup, that's it. I brought this up primarily because of where you are located. It took over two weeks to get to me -- but I'm in Atlanta. You're a lot closer.

Revolution keeps, but its carrier is EXTREMELY volatile. Have the little tube open for as short a time as possible, and recap it tightly. Then put the tube in a ziptop plastic bag.

I *think* it can be drawn up in a syringe. A 1cc Monoject should (I think, not sure) fit the top of the tube.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:41 pm

I have almost a full box of 1/2 cc syringes (diabetic, but use a pump now) so I'm set. I'm pretty sure the Canadian stuff is cheaper than the Revolution, so I'll talk it over with the husband and see what he wants me to do. (Dumb question. We've had nothing but expensive disasters this entire year, and they are continuing. Last week the stove died, and today I broke my $400 eyeglass frames totally in half at the nose piece.)

BTW, your "EXTREMELY volatile" worries me a little. Can you explain that, please?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:45 pm

She just means that it evaporates quickly. When you open it, you need to extract what you need and then close it quickly.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:10 pm

Yes, I think you might be worrying about explosive? It just evaporates quickly (likely it is the carrier that evaporates but once it dries out, you can't really apply it or measure it adequately.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:47 pm

Gotcha! Thanks! Hahahahah, to me "volatile" means FIRE! RUN!.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:40 pm

A reasonable interpretation!!

Ditto bpatters and Lynx.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:31 pm

Diagnoses: Lice - Treatment: Ivermectin, Topical, behind the ears, using 1/2cc Insulin Syringe with needle broken off.

9/12/15 1187 gm .06
9/19/15 1145 gm .06
9/26/15 1183 gm .06
10/3/15 1165 gm .055
10/10/15 1183 gm .06
10/17/15 1150 gm .06+

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:44 am

"Ivomec - Injection - 1% Sterile Solution 50 mL"