Fuzzbutt's Medical

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:42 am

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:35 pm

Wow! Lots of info to talk over when we meet the new vet and she checks Fuzz and Peek out.

Lynx, after reading your links, I realized that ALL of this started after I moved the first 4 - Peek, Scatter, Flossie, and *Fuzzbutt* to larger floor cages. While I did, and do, worry a little about drafts, it's usually only my husband and I walking through their room, and while I keep the window open at least an inch or 2, I've covered the bottom half of the window covered with choroplast to cut down on the drafts from it. There is no carpet in the house; rugs are under the fleece and absorbent padding, and they get washed every 2 or 3 weeks (normally - right now they get washed every week just like all the other bedding); rugs in other rooms around the house. I do have the 2 cats who go in and through the guinea pig room because I have litter boxes in and beyond the pig room. Besides, I don't believe it's actually Fuzzbutt doing the "barbering, I think that is VeBee's work, although if it is, she's focused her talents on Fuzz, not Peek. THAT could be because Peek won't stand/sit still for it, though.

I don't think it's fungal. I've not noticed any skin problems, although Dr. Baumgartner did mention some dandruff when she last saw Fuzz, she didn't think it was problematic. I only mentioned the skin tags on the loose hair because I looked for, and didn't see, any nits on the hair. I think Fuzzbutt is a Teddy - fuzzy, fuzzy hair. I've read they have their own special skin problems. Correct? Fuzz is the one of the 5 who had the most "skin tags", and she is my only Teddy (?). While the others might have had some (in fact VeBee has lost at least one clump of half a dozen or more hairs in one the cuddle sacks), Fuzz showed the skin on at least half of the hairs I stroked out.

With the soft, smelly poops, her butt is pretty dirty. No poop stuck to it, just yellow/brown instead of white. (I have noticed that VeBee and Peek have definitely bonded and Fuzz seems almost ostracized. She is quiet, and spends most of her time alone out in the open instead of under a piece of fleece or in a cuddle cup/sack. I feel so bad for her since I originally got VeBee more as a playmate for her. Do guinea pigs "ignore/abandon/ostracize" the sick?) Back to the dirty butt... Can I bathe her? At the moment I only have a pet shampoo from my cat vet's practice (for dogs,cats, puppies, and kittens) but it's anti-parasitic stuff. I don't know if it's safe to use alongside the ivomec treatments. I've got some other stuff ordered; it's not Nizoral (or whatever that's called).

The only one I think I saw the lice on is VeBee - she's the Abyssinian (longish, thin, hair that swirls in all directions - ?). And again, while I'm 99% sure I saw them, my husband did not. I looked at her hair and skin for a long time (10-15 minutes, several times); he looked once for at most 1 minute. I, on the other hand, have very bad floaters in my vision. If I had to rely only on my eyes to decide she had lice, I wouldn't. It's a combination of symptoms I see in one or all 5 pigs. Scratching, hair loss, and, again in VeBee's case, extreme skittishness. She's the most social and affectionate of them all; until the last few weeks, she didn't mind at all being petted in the cage or out; was willing to let me pick her up to take her out of the cage. After 3 treatments, she's letting me pet her in the cage again, although I think the others infected her - she no longer stands still to let me pick her up. ;o)

Anyway, we're off to the vet, who will hopefully recognize the symptoms and be able to help me fix Fuzz up quickly and safely. I'll post more when we return.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:11 pm

Well, whatever's going on, I wish you success!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:05 am

New vet gave Fuzz a quick lookover, not an indepth exam, since the appointment was only for a dental check. However i pointed out the hair Fuzz had shed while on the table, and the vet did bend down to look at the "skin tags" closely. She picked something up and gave it a really close look and said "This is a bug. It has legs. it's a dead bug though, so the treatments are working". (Sigh) I swear I looked at the larger ones at home with a magnifier glass and I couldn't see anything resembling a bug. On anyone's hair, or the table after I'd brushed hair off of each. I was pretty sure I'd seen moving bugs on VeBee, but couldn't see them on the others, light or dark hair. Anyway, parasites are parasites and I gotta get rid of them. 3 More weeks of Ivomec and if that doesn't work, we'll go for some kind of injection, even though that will mean multiple visits with all 5 pigs. Gonna be a very unhappy husband if that happens.

Fuzz's teeth: I'm not sure how long she spent checking them, she did it in back while they were taking Peek's x-rays. She said she did see some food stuck in back, and Fuzz does have some small points showing on her teeth. Wants her back in 2 weeks to take another look, and possibly do some work. Current level of husband's unhappiness is gonna go up when I insist on x-rays for Fuzz before any work is done. Hopefully, the vet will have more time for us. If not, I'll keep looking for a qualified vet. :o(

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm

Ok, a fairly comprehensive exam by Dr. Kuehlwein, especially after teeth appeared to be at normal levels of wear. I watched her closely and while she certainly seemed gentle and to know how to handle Fuzz, said guinea pig did squeak a couple of times during exam on g.p.'s right side of mouth. No sounds when on the left, but that right... Doc is right handed and otoscope (? dinky thing with light on the end) was crossing Fuzz's mouth during those squeaks... I know any exam can be uncomfortable. Fuzz is STILL packing food in back. Is that normal?

Ears: wax building up again; Shed hairs: fairly normal but found another dead bug. (When she showed me the estimate for all the x-rays/radiographs I forgot to ask about Revolution.); Tummy: feels and sounds a little gassy - "try using probiotic" (I have some Bene Bac). Puzzled about Fuzz's new eating habits: dropping bits of food, and refusal/inability to eat hard or crunchy foods (i.e. leaf centers and carrots)

Back tomorrow for full body x-rays (bloat/gas issue) and radiographs of her head (teeth issue). (BTW, whats the difference between x-rays and radiographs?) Doc will call me after Fuzz wakes up from sedation and she has had a chance to look at pics. Wants to keep Fuzz long enough after to make sure she doesn't have a reaction to sedation: Drop off by 9am (ugh, she's an hour away) and pick-up by 5:30. Send or bring food and comfy cage. Tomorrow is Friday, my ugly meds day and MY doc has upped the dosage of the major ugly, so Mike will probably have to make the trip alone.

I'll make sure they know to send me copies of pics and will get them posted ASAP for your opinions.

Upside: upon further investigation, I think I've found a true exotics vet up in Lacey. I may take Fuzz to him for second opinion. He's a little closer and this guy has been all over the world learning about exotics' medical issues and care. At least according to his website. http://www.farmhousevet.com/our_doctor.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:26 pm

Technically, a x-ray passes from the machine that generates it through some object with internal structures, and hits a plate that records the picture. That picture is the radiograph. In actual practice, they usually refer to the same thing -- the picture. It takes a real nit-picker to insist on not calling the radiograph an x-ray.

I looked at that vet site, and it doesn't say anything about exotic or pocket pets. I think I'd talk to him before taking a guinea pig in to him.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:50 pm

Ditto bpatters.

"New eating habits" => dental IMO.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:32 am

Dental was my first suspicion also.

I'm not doubting you, or trying to be argumentative but:

Farmhouse Veterinary Services...Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater

EXOTIC ANIMAL SERVICES

Home | Our Services | Our Doctor | Exotic Animal Services | Contact Us | Directions

Exotic Animals We Treat

In addition to dogs, cats and birds, we treat small mammal pocket pets including ferrets, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, rats, mice, gerbils, chinchillas, pot belly pigs and sugar gliders. We are the only local clinic that spays, neuters, and treats Pot Bellied Pigs. Soon we will add reptile, turtle and aquatic animal medicine to our list of services. We also treat a limited number of wild animal species including rabbits, raccoons, and opossums per Washington State law.
I trust you all, but my choices are pretty limited in this area. There is no way my husband will drive us all the way into Seattle or beyond to see a vet; cat, dog or guinea pig. I checked to see if I could do the train back when Flossie needed a spay, and that's a no go with anything but a service animal. Somehow, I can't quite see myself saying "Fuzz is a service animal" convincingly. At the least, this clinic has all of the special equipment - ultrasound, etc., and can either diagnose and treat, or they consult with the super-specialized who can. Sorry, memory is really bad, but I'm pretty sure I read that this morning. Believe me, if I'd known just how difficult it is to find qualified medical help for guinea pigs, I wouldn't have adopted the first one. I love them dearly, but I just don't have the independence or freedom to care for them without his assistance, even if it is only driving us to and from. I feel guilty as hell having to ask him to spend so much money on them or drive us so far to see a vet. It's not like I supply any money to this household, and as for physical assistance around the house... I'm a joke.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:55 am

Most importantly, I would just make sure they are experienced with any procedure you need performed - they should have performed it several times successfully on a guinea pig (they are different than rabbits).

Best wishes here!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:30 am

Thanks, Lynx. I'm trying. I have to go by their actions, speech, mannerisms, appearance of clinic and personnel, etc. I do look at online references, but most of the ones posted I suspect were emotional outbursts after losing a pet, and in some cases I'd probably react the same way. I've seen the same for other clinics. I believe the bad is talked about way more than the good, unfortunately, when it comes to references for anything. The ones we get from the vets themselves are always going to be good ones, right? :o|

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:15 pm

Just talked with Dr. Kuhlwein. Fuzz is just now beginning to hold her head up after sedation. They want to keep an eye on her for at least another 3 hours, preferably 4.

Teeth, roots, jaws = all appear normal. The shocks came with the full body x-rays.

First thing she saw was the "secum was full". That's what was causing her to "feel" gassy/bloaty. Doc doesn't know why. Wants me start Fuzz on Pre- and Pro-biotics. I have the Bene-bac, but I think I need more than that? Bene-bac is a probiotic, correct? What's a Pre-? (Crap, gotta get the busted glasses patched up enough to be able to read even if I can't wear 'em in public! Duct tape! Doesn't that fix everything?)

Next - Fuzz is developing arthritis in different joints throughout her body. This little girl is not even 2 years old yet!!!

Sorry, can't see through tears. Posting more later.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:43 pm

I think of prebiotics being pretty much the same as probiotics. Maybe someone else knows more.

The arthritis is surprising. We have an arthritis sticky that might help. Full secum, I would think, more motility drugs?

I am sorry she is having such a tough time.