Fuzzbutt's Medical

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:41 pm

Poor Fuzz is miserable. She's in a carry sack grunting/teeth clicking/breathing noisily. I assume that's from the sedative. ?? She's between me and the keyboard but not happy about it. She can barely walk (3 steps then falls to the side); is it safe to put her back in with Peek and VeBee?

I have a little bit of Reglan left from Flossie's July spay. 1m(15ml)
Should I use that on her as I did Flossie? I know the dosage will be different because Fuzz outweighs Floss by about 200 grams.

I also have BENE-BAC PLUS and Pedia Care gas relief drops.

Which is better for a "full secum" and how much should I use?

As of the 3rd, she weighed 1325 grams (1.325k)

P.S. X-rays should be here soon and she wasn't sure if radiograph machine was set up to send pictures... I'll post whatever she sends.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:52 pm

There was no blockage at all diagnosed? I think the dosages are in the guide. www.guinealynx.info/.html

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:46 pm

Not that she mentioned, just that "the secum is full" and she didn't know why. Guess we'll be heading up to Lacey in a couple of weeks; sooner if I can't get Fuzz to respond to the Reglan.

I saw the guide in that "chapter". It says 1ml/k I forgot my math/algebra and can't think beyond "she weighs 1325gms = 1.325k so... Closest I can figure with fuzzy brain is 1.25ml of Reglan. (Flossie avg 1050 for the period she was on it, received .56 mls of it; same bottle).

Walking a little better, but still sitting hunched for the most part. She only ate her cilantro tonight; some hay since she got home; maybe a piece of lettuce when I wasn't looking. Guess I'll try to give her some CC when I give her the meds. Yes, I'm going to weigh her! ;

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:58 am

What is the concentration of the Reglan? Is it a 1 mg/ml suspension? If so, then your dosing would be close to the maximum of 1 mg (not necessarily 1 ml!) per kg of pig.

For a 1.325 kg pig, you wouldn't want to give more than 1.325 mg of Reglan every 12 hours, max. To be safe, I would just give 1 mg every 12 hours. You could also dose her 0.5 mg every 6 hours, max. More frequent dosing can help if a pig is really backed up and stalled out in the GI department.

This is the pig that is sensitive to veggies, right? If so, I would discontinue all veggies for awhile, at least until she seems back to normal digestive-wise.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:25 am

Ditto LS in AK. You are confusing ml with mg. You need to know the concentration of the suspension in mg/ml.

Reglan:
Oral, SC,IM 0.2-1.0 mg/kg q12h

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:01 pm

I am responding to your arthritis post here since the arthritis thread is not a discussion thread.

Did she have an earlier xray to compare that xray to?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:27 am

No other x-rays ever. She's had the soft/stinky poos off and on ... It seems like since I brought her home at 6 weeks. I've identified some of the guilty veggies, and now separate her from Peek and VeBee at veggie time.

Last night I gave her the .78 cc of metacam, but not thinking straight (stupid me) I used the old metacam - Flossie's, the stuff 3 times stronger than Peek's, which Fuzz is supposed to share with him. I also gave her .9 of the Reglan (I wrote above exactly what the bottle says) last night. And put her on the vibrating pad for 10 or 15 minutes. I forgot to check the time.

Today was Ivomec treatment day so I didn't get to spend a lot of time with her, but poo content in the cage was normal, nothing unusual at all. I did forget she's supposed to have the Reglan twice daily, so she only got this evening's dose, with the Metacam. .9 Reglan and .78 (close anyway) Metacam. I now have an alarm set for the morning dose, also. I think I'll continue the Reglan (or Bene-Bac when I run out of Reglan) through Monday. I'll continue the Metacam and vibrating pad daily, until told to quit. Haven't had time or energy to struggle through reading much on bloat (I know she doesn't have bloat, but that's where the info is, right?). Tomorrow should be relatively easy and quiet for me and pigs. I can continue cleanup on post-cage change mess, and read.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:08 am

If she did not have a comparison xray, it is possible the arthritis is misdiagnosed (at least I hope so, at her age).

Don't remember if it has been asked if she is a Satin.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:04 am

No, she isn't a Satin, she's the fuzz-all-over kind. Teddy?

No comparison X-rays done, which is why I'm thinking a trip to the vet in Lacey is probably a good idea. At the least, a confirmation would tell me if I can trust Dr. K. :o}

However, having already spent $700 on guinea pig vet bills in the last few weeks, I really need to wait at least a few before spending more. Thank God this isn't something immediately life-threatening. Shoot, just remembered, Peek goes in for a re-check later this month, too. Well, maybe November we'll be able to repeat Fuzz's x-rays elsewhere. (I can't wait for this year to be over, and I'm praying next year is better financially! Or maybe God will touch my sister's guilt button and she'll finally repay the $3000 she owes us. HA! When hell freezes over and the devil learns to ice skate!)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:37 am

Teddies can have plenty of genetic weirdnesses. Maybe not as severe as satins, but plenty nevertheless.

How's she doing today?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:28 am

Samo, samo. She's been getting Metacam & Reglan since Friday. Moving about the same as before, quantity and "quality". I hadn't realized that the poo count had been down until yesterday when it was most definitely UP! Unfortunately, most of it was dry and crumbly. I'll have to separate her (then Peek) for a few hours to see who is/are the culprit(s), though. She absolutely positively refused the lettuce with Bene-Bac last night after she tasted the probiotic in it. She takes the Reglan with a big struggle, and the Metacam the same except for Sat. night - then she took it like a yummy.

I'm attaching the radiographs and X-rays here. IF they load properly. If not, Lynx, just let me know and I'll email them to you.

ImageFuzzbutt X-ray #1 Oct 9, 2015

ImageFuzzbutt X-ray #2 Oct 9, 2015

ImageFuzzbutt Radiograph #! Oct 9, 2015

ImageFuzzbutt Radiograph #2 Oct 9, 2015

To refresh your memories, Dr. K. says she took the x-rays to try to figure out why Fuzz felt gassy/bloaty both times she was examined (2 weeks apart). She found the cecum was full, first off, but had no explanation for that. Then she started noticing the arthritic changes in different joints throughout Fuzz's body. I can't remember the specific joints, it was a terrible connection, but I can call to ask if needed. Remember, Fuzz doesn't turn 2 years old until Dec 5th. Dr. K. said the radiographs show absolutely no abnormalities at all.

If you all could take a look and give me your opinions regarding arthritis, teeth & cecum I would REALLY appreciate it. Perhaps you could point out the abnormalities to me. :o} If you think I need to see the other vet in Lacey for a second opinion or more x-rays/radiographs, I'll do it, but can't until the end of next month, unless it's an emergency.

I truly appreciate each and every one of you!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:36 pm

Darn it! They won't let me download the large size without setting up an account! And they won't let me set up an account without a mobile phone number! What a bunch of crap! Don't know if you can email me the largest sizes, but I can upload the biggest size so the joints are more visible if you can.