Further Tales From The Pigpen

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:35 am

Graham = cuddly, plush toy-piggy :)

clairey

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:27 am

Graham is really cuddly and he does look a bit like those Ikea piggy plushies. He has the softest hair so far of all my pigs and his size makes him a nice armful. He's a pain to catch but he snuggles in and snoozes when I do. He also accepts chinnies and even under-chin snorgles. Oh and he gives kisses.

He's just long and tall and broad all at once. He can easily get his whole head over the grids when he's begging. In fact, there's nothing really to stop him getting over and out if he wanted. Hence I keep cushions stuffed 24/7 in furniture gaps where naughty pigs could cause trouble, just in case.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:11 am

It is always amazing to me that they lack depth perception due to having eyes on the sides of their heads rather than lined up in the front. Equally amazing that they have whiskers to make up for that.

You are wise with the cushion-stuffing. My pigs have never hesitated to launch themselves off of things. Never heard of look before you leap, I suppose (more like they have no concept of falling, being built to trot along so close to the ground all the time.)

Sending internet tribute to his lordship, Sir Simon, and nose rubs to Mister Graham (I just want to run my finger right up that white stripe on his face!)

clairey

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:35 am

The lack of depth perception is noticable with Simon, probably due to his head tilt. He's not very good at finding small things close to him (like broken off bits of pellet), he always thinks they're an inch or so away from where they are. When I'm passing out morsels he seems to find them with his whiskers first. Oh and it takes him a couple of tries to beg with his paws up on the side of the cage. But somehow it doesn't slow down his zoomies any and he sees and avoids obstacles with ease.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:59 am

Clairey, some pairs just bicker. Snick and Ouiser were very loudly conversational their whole life together, but I don't at all believe they weren't perfectly happy together. Well, Snick was happy, and Ouiser would have preferred that he pick up his socks and help out with folding things. But you know what I mean.

clairey

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:20 pm

Yeah, I know. And I do need to keep reminding myself they're young. Simon's barely 2 at most and Graham is a little younger. So they're still all slamming doors and youthful theatrics.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:45 am

haha piggies slamming doors. Thats a funny idea to me. Wonder if there is such a thing as a pig flap instead of a cat one. Ooo i am laughing now at that one. Hahaha

clairey

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:27 am

I bet some pigs could be trained to use a flap door thing. Simon likes to nose the kitchen door open when I'm in there so he can remind me that he's (always) hungry.

All of my pigs have each had a particular way they like to be petted and I've finally found Simon's. He likes a light, circular massage down his spine. I coaxed a purr out of him as he melted into the floor. :) Graham has a big tuft of hair right below his shoulder blades that's like his on/off switch. It's super-sensitive to touch and makes him twitchy if I brush past it but if I work it down flat with my fingers, he gets all dopey.

clairey

Post   » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:15 pm

We have progress! It's not snuggling but until a few days ago they couldn't possibly lie this close for much more than a couple of minutes. Either Graham would flash teeth or Simon would retreat before he had the chance. At the moment they've been snoozing like this for a good 45 minutes and it's becoming normal.

And pellets can once more be served in a bowl without anyone being threatened or bullied.

They feel a lot more balanced now as a pair. :) Graham is still a twit but Simon seems to be growing to quite enjoy him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:49 pm

They look so sweet together!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:26 pm

Heartwarming! So cute at the pellet bowl.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:16 pm

Still looking for that darn "like" button...