2015 Canadian Federal Election

pinta

Post   » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:11 pm

It was definitely strategic voting what done it. Everyone I know was going to vote for whoever was most likely to defeat Harper.

tashab

Post   » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:14 pm

I'm glad Harper is out, but I'm sad that my local NDP MP lost to the Liberal rival.
He's always been super-active in the riding, and I've only ever seen her turn up for a photo-op.

pinta

Post   » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:57 pm

To be fair, if you aren't an MP, about all you can do is photo ops until you are elected.

Our Conservative MP was just a Harper lapdog. I wrote him about the kits coast guard and received no answer. Every one I know who wrote him were also ignored.

piggypie

Post   » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:20 am

Pinta I had the same issue with our local MP. I wrote her about many issues and either got no response or some canned response from her office.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:36 pm

I loved this segment from John Oliver explaining Canadian élections to Americans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V5ckcTSYu8

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:41 pm

That was pretty good! I love John Oliver!

pinta

Post   » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:34 am

Missed on the french accent assumption. Justin has no french accent when speaking English - probably due to his BC roots, being that his mother is from North Vancouver. He does have the tiniest bit of lisp, however.

You can kinda tell when Google is the research standard for such bits.

piggypie

Post   » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:11 pm

New government offers new hope :) So many of my friends are talking about how much more hopeful they feel with the new government.
For the first time we were able to witness the swearing in of the new PM, it's always been held behind closed doors, but this time there were cameras so it was broadcast on the news and on big screen TVs outside Rideau Hall (Where the Governor General lives). It was amazing to have that transparency.
The new cabinet was announced and it is a 50/50 split of men and women. The people in cabinet actually make sense. The minister of Sports and Disabilities is a Paraolympian, the minister of science is a scientist. The minister of health is a doctor... YEAH!!! Hopefully our country is back on the right track.

Now to deal with the provincial government and their arrogance about documents and freedom of information.

pinta

Post   » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:24 pm

Now to deal with the provincial government and their arrogance about documents and freedom of information.

No kidding. Lying bastards.

piggypie

Post   » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:38 pm

How is it possible that there's no info about the Massey Tunnel replacement? Heads need to roll on this one.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:12 pm

Yes, the new government is very hopeful! I hope your lives change for the better and the provincial governments shape up.

tashab

Post   » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:50 pm

Aside from gender diversity, there's also racial and religious diversity in the new cabinet. At least two were born outside of Canada, at least two are Sikh, one is Muslim, another two are atheist, etc.
I'm much more optimistic about this government than the last one, even if it wasn't the government make-up I would have preferred.

pinta

Post   » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:54 pm

Lynx - to get around the freedom of Information legislation The BC Gov't triple deletes all emails before the back-up can archive them and uses post-it notes to communicate or just communicates orally. Then when someone makes a request thru Freedom of information they can honestly say "there are no records" as they have all been deleted.

So major billion dollar projects have no records.

Total scum.

Also have several first nations in the cabinet

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:45 pm

That "no records" crap is crazy! I can't believe they can possibly get around this without prosecution! They are absolutely NOT doing their jobs.

pinta

Post   » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:39 am

well, there's no record of them doing their jobs…...

piggypie

Post   » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:48 am

I do believe that heads will roll. One instance of no records being found deals with the firing of multiple health care workers. The public was told that there was an RCMP investigation into the activities these employees were engaged in. Turns out there was no RCMP investigation, one person took his life over the firing. Now there's no records at all about what lead up to the firing etc. Also turns out that there was a pharmaceutical company that was giving big donations to the provincial Liberal party and there's speculation that their donations were involved in the firing of the employees. The employees may have been recommending to Pharmacare not to cover the drugs manufactured by the pharmaceutical company. But since all the records have been deleted how will we ever know?

pinta

Post   » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:09 am

If heads were gonna roll, they would have rolled by now. We're left hoping for civil litigation at this point as they gov't is gonna do piss-all to ameliorate the situation.

Erinspigs

Post   » Sun May 22, 2016 11:13 pm

Not sure if this is OK place for this, and I'm on my way to sleep but did want to post this. At Bank of America they are donating a bunch of money to Alberta United Way and Canadian Red Cross. They will also match whatever any person donates through them.

It seems ok but I'm not very good with these things so maybe people just want to check it out to make sure they aren't using too much money to get the money to the people who need it. Doesn't seem like it, but I wouldn’t really know how to make sure.

daveandtiff

Post   » Tue May 24, 2016 5:05 pm

Charity Navigator http://www.charitynavigator.org/ Charity Watch https://www.charitywatch.org/home and GuideStar http://www.guidestar.org/ have been useful for US-based charity ratings and accountability checks. United Way and Red Cross have been very good as a rule. Where there is more than one location within the organization (as with United Way), performance might be seen at different levels of efficiency. But I did find this information via Charity Intelligence Canada which shows the locations as comparible to what we have here in the US
United Way (CAN) https://charityintelligence.ca/charity-details/30-united-way-of-the-alberta-capital-region
Red Cross (CAN) https://charityintelligence.ca/charity-details/71-canadian-red-cross

79 posts