The Saga of Princess Swizzle and Faylee

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:27 am

I'm so sorry about Faylee. She sounds like she was a real sweetheart.

Congrats to you and Ginger on the Blue ribbon!

Your post before the the one about the fair said she was exhibiting signs of a URI. How is she?

MissPiggy_17

Post   » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:04 pm

Swizzle Goes To The Fair!
I bring my rabbits to the community fair each year, and this time a younger girl in my 4-H group asked if I could bring my guinea pigs to the show for just one day, since she was showing her cavy and didn't want to be the only one there. I agreed after confirming they would only be in a pet store cage from 8:00 a.m to 3:00 p.m and that since it was just a fair show they didn't have to be tagged(have you seen the poor cavies with tags pierced in their ears!?). I found out that Faylee (this was in August and Faylee was still with me) was unshowable because at least 75% of her body was white. Well, Swizzle was fine. I took her to the show and Swizzle was loving all the attention and food she was getting (I brought along pieces of lettuce for kids to feed her). When it came time for the show, Swizzle got Best Opposite Sex meaning she was the best female guinea pig there! I went home with a beautiful light blue ribbon and Swizzle went home with a full tummy!G

MissPiggy_17

Post   » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:07 pm

Oops I double posted. How do you fix that?
And Granny, I am on vacation in Tennessee right now and my aunt I watching her. So hopefully she will be ok. I would've asked my aunt to take her to the vet but she does not drive.

MissPiggy_17

Post   » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:05 pm

Faylee's Story
"White female guinea pig with black and brown on head. $10. Selling because she won't breed."

I read the Craigslist ad on a hot summer day in July and my heart skipped a beat. How could someone sell any living animal for a reason like that?! I'd been searching Craigslist and local rescues for months and I'd heard a lot of dumb excuses but this was a first. This pig needed a home, and I WAS looking for a companion for my TSW Abyssinian sow, Swizzle. But after six piggy meet-n-greets, every one failing due to Swizzle's aggressiveness, I was getting pretty discouraged. What if I decided to open my heart and home to this little darling and she didn't get along with Swizzle?

Biting back my fears, I replied to the ad. "I'd love to give this little girl a new home! When would you like to meet?" If Swizzle didn't get along with her, I would just foster her until my local rescue could rehome her. 3 hours and 6 emails later, it was agreed I would come to her house that Wednesday at 4:00.

As I pulled into the cracked driveway of the dilapidated little gray house in a ghetto-like part of town, I was glad I'd pestered my older brother into coming with me. I knocked on the door, and an older lady scowled at me. Seconds later, I handed her the money and a tiny, pee-stained white(ish?) pig was thrust into my arms.

When we got home, she was temporarily put into a pet store cage for quarantine and given a bath. I found out she was covered in mites and had bumblefoot.

A month later, my little sow was happy, healthy, and ready to meet Swizzle, who was now nicknamed Jaws, because of the six pigs she tried fruitlessly to murder. I said that it would take a miracle for them to get along.

That was exactly what Faylee was - a miracle. When she and Swizzle met, it was like they'd known each other forever. After some chasing and mild humping, they snuggled next to each other! Swizzle was of course the dominant one, but after one introduction, they never fought when they moved into the 2 x 4 C&C cage. Swizzle kind of took Faylee under her wing, and knew Faylee was blind before I did.

This is how Faylee, my little Crested sow, entered my heart and home. Though she touched many people in her short 1 1/2 years, she touched me the most, in ways I can never dream of trying to explain. I miss her so, so much.

Goodbye, sweet Faylee - my little fairy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:27 am

I'm glad she came to live with you. She sounds like a very special guinea pig.

MissPiggy_17

Post   » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:02 pm

Happy birthday to my Little girl!
Princess Swizzle turned three today. Pictures of her little birthday bash will be uploaded to this thread after her vet visit tomorrow evening.

MissPiggy_17

Post   » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:34 pm

Swizzle has been to the vet. She does have a URI and a 103.9 temperature. She was given Baytril and Vitamin C injections. A follow up appointment is scheduled for Monday. Im so relieved that it was nothing serious! My vet said that there should be improvement by Wednesday.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:37 am

sorry you lost one of your pigs. Hugs. chock my brown teddy pig is doin much better as a lone pig as spike turned real nasty and wouldnt let him eat. I had no choice but to let spike go. Glad your new house for your pigs is being enjoyed by your pigs. chock is a very special piggy. He will be three next feb. I got him three months after i was let out the psych unit. i will have been in my house for three years at the end of this month actually. thats scary.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:12 am

I hope Swizzle gets well fast!

MissPiggy_17

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:54 pm

Swizzle has recovered and I am in the proces of gaining her weight back and finding her a new friend. She is grieving for Faylee very bad. I believe that is the reason for her lack of appetite. She no longer wheeks and stays in Faylee's favorite hut 24/7. I have been spending a lot of time with her on my lap. So I believe that for her sake I should get her a new friend. These weeks have been such a blur I don't know what I'm feeling. I'm afraid though that I won't have as much of an emotional connection if I get a new pig sooner rather than later but time will tell.
Stay tuned!

MissPiggy_17

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:51 pm

With Princess Swizzle feeling down, and because she just turned 3 years old and Christmas is approaching fast, I have ordered a mini-haul from Petco.
I had seen a Black Friday ad for Petco and practically the whole store was on sale, plus if you ordered before 12:00 a.m. on Thanksgiving and entered the promo code 'thanks' at checkout, you got free shipping. Added bonus! So I spent $10, the usual guinea pig Christmas budget, and got 4 items. https://secure.petco.com/Assets/product ... 48866A.jpg
https://secure.petco.com/Assets/product ... 2c5ca94253
https://secure.petco.com/Assets/product ... 61968A.jpg
https://secure.petco.com/Assets/product ... 23050A.jpg
So there's what I bought from Petco.
Then I went to Joann's Fabric store. They had all their fleece 75% off! So I got enough fleece for one new reversible cage liner. It was a tough choice, but after a while I decided on a cute multi colored hedgehog print with light blue background, and a navy and pink chevron print, although I very narrowly escaped coming home with half the store. I can't sew to save my life, but fortunately for me -and my wallet(have you SEEN how much they charge for cage liners everywhere)- my mother has some serious sewing skills.
Well, that's all for now. I have pictures of Swizzle coming soon, I just have to figure out how to upload photos from my camera onto the computer, then onto photobucket, then onto the forum... GAH! Techy-stuff these days are so annoying.

MissPiggy_17

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:20 pm

Ok so I have just realized that I don't think I have a picture of my cage on here! This is an old picture, when Faylee was still alive.
[img]F:\DCIM\102KC195\102_0888.JPG[/img]
To the left is their kitchen area, with their log hidey. They are on the Care Bear fleece (that is an old fleece blanket, used to be mine when I was 6 and obsessed with care bears). It's a 2 x 4 cage. Then they have a sock teddy bear I made which is stuffed with hay, and a nut knot nibbler from petsmart, which is...well... very DEAD now(rip). Then I have a wire basket inside a pillow case with fleece and a piece of care bear bed sheet on it. The care bear blanket and white fleece covers two grids which are attached to the cage to make a cave sort of place, which used to have a fleece forest before they utterly destroyed it. then we have a green wiffle ball I use as a treat ball, and a water bottle.
My guinea pig(s) are always in my bedroom as my father says he "will not have those stinky little rats in his house" lol and my bedroom is MINE. Yeah.... we're working on that. This makes sleeping very...interesting now that Swizzle is so lonely. She wheeks pretty much all night unless I pick her up. I've spent quite a few nights on the floor next to her cage with her sleeping next to me, and have lost some hair due to her chewing my hair through the bars, lol.
Anyway, on to Swizzle cuteness.
(sorry for blurriness)

[img]F:\DCIM\102KC195\102_0895.JPG[/img]
Mommy! Treats! Now!
[img]F:\DCIM\102KC195\102_0898.JPG[/img]
Yes, good human!
Notice Faylee is in the background giving me stinkeye for feeding Swizzle first.
[img]F:\DCIM\102KC195\102_0901.JPG[/img]
Don't worry, she got some too.
[img]F:\DCIM\102KC195\102_0911.JPG[/img]
Saxxy Leg!
[img]F:\DCIM\102KC195\102_0880.JPG[/img]
Lastly, this is the first picture of Swizzle right when we got home. Such a diva, she begged for food right away. This was in the "year of the too-tiny petstore cage" as I call it. She was so friendly, even when I'd just brought her home.
All I can say is this: I definitely got a good one, and I don't know what I'd do without her. She's the reason I'm getting over Faylee's loss.