It all started with Gordy...

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:27 am

Well, after some consideration we decided to look into rehoming a new piggy. One to hopefully bond with Toki and Anselmo, and to keep Toki company after Anselmo passed away (Yep, I'm always the optimist!)

I wanted to adopt from a rescue this time. I've had numerous pigs but never one direct from a rescue.

My first pigs were from a farm breeder.
Then I stepped up to pigs bought for me as a gift, from that same breeder
Then pet shop pigs
Then pet shop pigs in the adoption section. Apparently they were from a rescue.
Then Toki, he was adopted via Guinea Lynx.

We contacted a few rescues in the area, and no luck. No single boars available, and probably none for a while.

So, back to the drawing board.

It's not as if we would be lucky again and find another piggy through Guinea Lynx. Could we...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:53 am

What a doll! More story!

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:17 am

...yes we could.

Two lovely ladies on Guinea Lynx, BamBam and HilaryHolmes fostered a pair of pregnant girls for a local RSPCA. In their care they both gave birth and they were allowed by the RSPCA to post on Guinea Lynx to see if anyone wanted to adopt them.

BamBam and Hilary live really near by, so it seemed like fate. But, I couldn't take two boys. Not with Anselmo and his bladder issues, my local exotics vet was really expensive. And the RSPCA wanted them to be rehomed as a pair, they were brothers after all.

So, off they went back to the RSPCA.

The Mum's, the little girl and the DEW were rehomed quite quickly. But, the two little PEW brothers were still there.

Wle312 fell in love with one, but was in the same predicament as me, she could only rehome one.

So, after putting our thinking caps on, and a bit of brainstorming the two little piggies were leaving the RSPCA behind and moving to new homes.

Wle312 took little Shaun, now know as Marshall, and little Skittle, came to live with us.

My boyfriend wanted to name him, so he became known as Jon Snow.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:50 am

Can't wait to read more about Jon's personality and his introduction to Anselmo. If I remember, Clariey's special tap water of friendship would have been much needed.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:46 am

You remember correctly GP_mum. Since the arrival of Jon our life with pigs seems to be filled with chattering teeth, cuts and furry whirlwinds. *Sigh* We still need some of claireys magic water!!

Jon was very inquisitive from the beginning
"Hi there, I'm your new brother Jon!"

"Ahhhhhh! Get it away!"

Jon and Toki hit it off pretty well. Toki wasn't bothered about him at all. Jon would get in his face and he just wasn't bothered at all.

Anselmo on the other hand! Jon was very forward, always wanting to sniff around them. And Anselmo doesn't like it. He's the boss thank you very much. Unfortunately there were quite a few battles, and both came away with some quite nasty bites.

"Don't even bother coming near me!"

They did have their moments of calm though. It was really frustrating as they would be fine for ages, then suddenly Jon would launch across the cage and they'd be at each others throats yet again.

It didn't go quite as well as we wanted and we ended up with Jon and Toki living together and Anselmo had a batchlor pad to himself.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:31 am

They are awfully cute.

How do you feel about adding a male young'un to two settled and getting along older males? Risky?

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:52 am

I love your new guy. I hope everyone settles down. The picture of him peeking around the box is adorable!

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:31 am

Never get tired of that video, Jaycey. Reminds me of Monty Python -- would have been much funnier to see a little guinea pig skittering past on the grass in front of the castle in *The Holy Grail* -- much funnier than that rabbit -- before it went into attack mode.

Anselmo and Toki were probably thinking Yeah! That's what you get for taking the salad bag away before we were done with it!

Intros tend to run along the same lines at my house, and I deal (for the most part) in just the girly pigs. They can have some nasty brawls, too. Worst I've ever seen from a failed intro was a split lip, but still. The whirling ball of fur can seem nothing short of a category 5 hurricane. Agree that clairey needs to start bottling up her kind and loving tapwater pronto. I would certainly buy some to keep on the shelf.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:19 am

Anselmo (the oldest one) was starting off with his bladder problems around that time, so we thought we'd wait a little while, leave him on his own, and keep Toki and Jon (the newbie) together.

We have a feeling that's one of the reasons why Jon was attacking Anselmo, he could sense the illness in him.

Despite him causing problems with their living arrangements Jon Snow was/is a very welcome member of the family. He's very outgoing and very silly. He popcorns and jumps around all over the place. He'll happily come over to you, and stand up at the bars, and then flee when you try to pick him up

This picture sums him up, that facial expression says it all

And a mid running on just for fun

It wasn't long after Jon Snow arrived that we had something very unexpected occur.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:35 am

Ooooh, exciting!

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:46 am

I'd spent so long pretty much writing off Anselmo with his bladder stone problems, and trying to make sure that Toki wouldn't end up alone when Anselmo's time came that what happened next came completely out of nowhere, and still today I still see it as a complete shock.

Toki died.

25th September 2013 Toki passed away. He was 2 years old. The string of events that happened was really unfortunate and unlucky and despite having help from friends we weren't able to turn him around.

It starts a few days earlier when he was struggling to eat. Just out of nowhere, one minute devouring food, the next not being able to.

Toki was the piggy that made my boyfriend fall in love with pigs. He loved to see his silly wide eyed face, and his always orange chin.

I know we all say how unique a piggy is but I've never seen another pig that looked anything like Toki. He was like a small fluffly cloud.

We'll always remember the simple guy. Our fondest memories are of him standing up at the wrong side of the cage for his veg, and him running away squealing after he decided to take on Anselmo once for 'Top Pig' spot.

So, now we were back to 2 pigs, Anselmo and Jon Snow. 2 pigs who don't really like each other. Lots of good luck vibes were needed for this pairing!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:43 am

He was such a handsome guy, Jaycey. And a character. No wonder your boyfriend fell in love with him.