Peekaboo's Medical

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:38 pm

Ditto Lynx. The 1% is fine. If you've got the dosage for the .5%, just give half as much.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:45 pm

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/di ... illiliters

1 unit of U-100 insulin is 0.01 ml in a regular syringe Read more at: https://tr.im/NptLf

Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/zZGUz9].5 units vs .5 cc-ml (2)[/url

U-100 insulin syringe on left vs generic 1cc syringe on right. black lines indicate 5 units "insulin" on left & 0.5 cc on right. I'm not seeing a big difference in pic. If I'm reading the link correctly (my eye sight is at about 20% today) I've actually been dosing them with slightly more than recommended on GL calculator.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:28 pm

1% solution of anything mixed in something reasonably close to water comes out to 10 mg/mL.

Don't kill yourself unless you really, really hate math. ;-)

1% is 1 in 100 of something (anything). That means that 1 gram of ivermectin is mixed in 100 grams of carrier.

The tricky part to remember is that the density of water is 1 g/mL, or one gram per milliliter. Most water-like substances are about the same, so now you'd have 1 gram of ivermectin in 100 milliliters of water(ish stuff).

There's 1000 mg in one gram, so now you have 1000 mg of ivermectin in 100 milliliters of water(ish stuff) = 10 mg/mL.

Wasn't that fun? :-)

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:50 pm

Talishan, now I hate math. ;o)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:07 pm

LOL!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:56 pm

Peek is still "coughing" even though I've kind of separated them at feeding time. He's now free to eat as slowly or as quickly as he wants. Tonight he left a good portion of his lettuce on the floor but was quick to help clean up the other 2's messes after they decided they were through (chewing on the grids and pushing them around, completely ignoring what was left on the floor or in the bowls). (Fuzz and VeBee decided that anyone else's food must taste better so they all switched places.) I've also been feeding them some "deer's tongue" lettuce, something my husband found at the farmer's market when I told him "NO more romaine!" Red and green leaf lettuce has been in short supply around here. Even in the grocery stores the quality is disgusting. Anyway, Fuzz won't touch the "tongue" so maybe Peek has decided he doesn't like it after all either. Not being a gardener, I checked my book and that lettuce looks an awful lot like "Oak Leaf".

Peek is scheduled for a re-check on Monday. If she still can't figure out what his problem is, I'll take Peek AND Fuzz up to Lacey to see the vet at The Farmhouse.

Also, he's decided the Metacam is SO delicious he jerked the syringe out of my hand and took off with it. I had to chase him down and take it back! (He takes it so easily any more, I've just been leaning down with the syringe and let him smell it, before he opens wide. I won't be doing that anymore!)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:53 pm

*snort* LOL! :-)

That's happened multiple times at our house. Actually, don't worry about it because usually they drag it into a hide and drop it. They won't hurt themselves with it -- at least none of ours ever have. Just pick the hide up and retrieve the syringe, and give the med to the pig if he didn't already get it.

It's enormously useful when they like the meds (Metacam is usually readily taken at our house, too). Saves an awful lot of time and hassle having to chase them down and pick them up.

We also hear you on the lettuces. We usually feed redleaf and greenleaf primarily, because we too have had a lot of trouble with romaine. The quality here (metro Atlanta) has been dismal, too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:06 pm

Taste the new lettuce. If it is bitter, it might be high in oxalates.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:54 am

Ahh. Ok. The other 3 eat the colored part readily, but don't eat the crunchy pieces. I'll bet it is. I'll keep that in mind next time we have problems finding red or green leaf. Radicchio must be that way, also. Most, if not all, do not eat the white, but love the purple parts.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:51 pm

Saw Dr W. in Olympia a few days ago. He didn't have a lot of time for us (receptionist scheduled appts too close together), but he said this was more of a chance for us all to become acquainted with each other anyway.

In general he found Peek to be healthy for his quesstimated age. Would also like to see HIS x-rays from AHS in Longview. When I told him about the cough I occasionally hear from Peek, he told me to worry only when it became a trend. He couldn't hear anything "off" in Peek's chest. No lice or skin problems. No lumps or bumps where there shouldn't be any. Agreed that the metacam is a good treatment for Peek's arthritis issues and chided me to be more careful when noting dosages given in his record book (I wrote 0.5 instead of 0.05 once). ;o)

I didn't think to point out the Pea/Fatty eye Peek has and he didn't notice it (we were busy talking - bad momma). Besides, Peek usually really goes bug-eyed when he's scared. This condition will definitely be one of the things we discuss next time.

Will post more once Dr W. has a chance to look at Peek's x-rays.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:58 pm

Sounds like you found a good vet!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:45 pm

About 3 minutes ago, Peek suddenly started an almost constant wheek, but it's a very unusual wheek - raspy, wheezy...

I pulled out my stethoscope and listened and I can hear his breathing along with the heartbeat, it sounds kind of wheezy also, but this is the first time I've listened so I don't know what is normal.

Can you tell me what to do? An emergency vet appointment? Stop panicking?