Scatter's Medical

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:57 pm

I did a search and couldn't find anything except his name "scattered" (yuck, yuck!) in various threads, so here is his medical record.

Adopted June 8, 2013 at age 12 weeks. Except for lice, probably caught from his cagemate, Peek, he's been pretty healthy. When I realized I'd botched the introductions between the two, and would have to separate them because of fights, I decided to look for a couple of girls to be companions to both, knowing that neutering was in their futures regardless of risks. (Now I positively cringe at how much I thought I knew, and how little I actually did know.)

On Jan 16, 2014, he was diagnosed with a "possible" URI and prescribed Baytril LA, .06 ml once daily for 14 days. (Sorry, that's all I wrote down in his book.)

On Jan 19, I wrote: "Scatter appears to be having trouble with his rear legs; lays down to eat; acts like they can't hold him up. When he does stand up, he seems to stretch 1 or both legs out behind, but holds the stretch for much longer than normal. When he lays down, he kicks or pushes all bedding (still on Carefresh) away from himself so he's laying on bare choroplast." I stopped the Baytril and called vet. Vet agreed that this was probably a good idea when I finally got him in to see her, and suggested Critical Care until recovered, which was, as I remember, remarkably fast once he was off the Baytril. It seems like he took 24 hours or less and he was acting normal again. I didn't keep very good records back then.

Anyway, vet decided he was well enough to be neutered, and we scheduled that for the 30th.

Jan 30, 2014 was neutered. Surgery went well.

Feb. 18, 2014 Developed a "slight" infection; vet prescribed Zithromycin - 1 ml once a day, and a diluted Betadine solution "flush" twice a day. It was 2 days before we actually found the Betadine, so it took me that long before I started the rinse/flush.

Feb. 24, 2014 "Very little sign of incision - no scab. Still rinsing/flushing with Betadine solution.

Feb. 25, 2014 Vet re-check. She found an unknown lump on his right side genitalia. Performed exploratory surgery; found and removed infectious "sack". My husband was pretty grossed out but he knew I'd be interested in seeing it.

ImageScatter's surgery 2.25.14

Mar. 10, 2014 "All healed up"

March 2014 - Joined by young female - Fuzzbutt, who spent the next 3 days huddled in a corner, screaming for all she was worth everytime he came near her. I finally took pity on her and switched her and Flossie.
Flossie put up with none of his BS and there she remains. He's happy.

Nov. 14, 2014 Annual exam - all good, took fecal sample (results = clear of parasites).

Aug. 6 2015 Many, many times I treated all guinea pigs with Ivermec or Revolution attempting to get rid of lice. It appears I've finally succeeded. To date, there have been no further incidences of illness or injury .

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:40 am

I hope there are no recurrences of infection related to his neuter! Did did your vet ever mention the technique used for the neuter? Was it unusual for her to see an infection post neuter?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:03 pm

I wasn't actually there for the second surgery (or for the neuter for that matter), so I didn't speak to her. The first time we talked about the procedure, I asked if she'd done many. She said "Oh, yeah, I've done lots." I can't remember if I asked about losses or she just volunteered "The only one I ever lost was because she had a cyst on an ovary, and I didn't know about it." (You can bet what ever you want that I wasn't about to let this Dr. operate on Flossie 1 year later!)

As for neuter procedure: She did Peek and Scatter at the same time, but I'm not sure which was first. They called me to let me know they were ready to be picked up, and the receptionist volunteered the fact that Peek was a "little bit slower" to wake up than they would have liked, but both were doing well.

Keep in mind, this was back in my really stupid days when I knew next to nothing and wasn't very good at standing up for my pets. :'o(

Second surgery she called exploratory. She admitted she had no clue what the lump could be, and asked permission to go in and find out. What was I going to say? No? I wasn't there for the p/u, but she & Mike talked a good bit. She showed him the infection and that's when he took the picture. She explained how lucky we'd been that the infection had actually walled itself off so it couldn't spread. Said she'd seen that in dogs but never guinea pigs. (Hey, Julie, clue #43?)

I have no clue as to type of anesthesia or anything else. By then, I'd found GL, but hadn't really absorbed all I'd been reading, and sure didn't know yet that I shouldn't have taken guinea pigs to her in the first place, no matter how experienced she claimed to be. To her credit, she didn't kill either one.

Something else to be thankful for: Amongst other things, GL has taught and given me the confidence to ask questions even if they might seem rude, get second opinions, and be selective in who provides care for my piggies. Thank you, each & everyone of you!

Gotta go now. One of the cats decided to show how they feel about my paying so much attention to little bitty pets. Result: Guess. Clean cages all around today, dang it. And it's Friday. :o(

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:07 am

Diagnoses: Lice - Treatment: Ivermectin, Topical, behind the ears, using 1/2cc Insulin Syringe with needle broken off.

9/12/15 1427 gm .07
9/19/15 1446 gm .07
9/26/15 1406 gm .07
10/3/15 1389 gm .07
10/10/15 1386 gm .07
10/17/15 1375 gm .07

(What's up with the weight loss, Bug? Guess I better keep an eye on you and Flossie. She's stealing your food, huh? Dang it. Have to separate you 2 to see how much of your food she IS stealing.)

(Sigh! That's three of the 5 piggies I now have to feed separately.)

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:44 am

"Ivomec - Injection - 1% Sterile Solution 50 mL"

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:48 pm

Scatter was checked out by Dr W. in Olympia.

Bug (nickname is Scatterbug) is healthy. Although he has lost a little weight since moving to the big floor cage, he's still good, just under 3 lbs on the doctor's scales. Dr W. gave his chest a good listen to; palpated his fat little body; looked at eyes and ears. Mouth and teeth. Then I asked him about boy parts. Cleaning boy parts. Doc said he doesn't like to mess with things unless absolutely necessary, e.g. sperm rods or visible impaction. He did try to get Bug's penis out of the sheath to show me, and had the same problem I do - couldn't get much more than the tip out, but said it was clean and healthy. We agreed to leave both boars alone unless a problem pops up.

Forgot to mention on the others' threads, but he convinced me to atleast try to use water bowls instead of the sipper bottles, especially since I have the problem with molding caps (found another yesterday!). He said when he had guinea pigs, he used a large flat bowl and put a big rock in the middle. This is more natural for them and they don't have to lift heads and/or twist necks to get a drink. Makes perfect sense to me and they do have the room in their cages for this set-up, so...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:54 pm

I think if you have fleece and there is not much to kick into the water (the pellets are in a different area), it might work pretty well. Bowls should be easier to clean.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:41 pm

Exactly my thought. I don't have a problem with changing out the water a couple of times a day. Since they're no longer in the room with me, I don't have near the interaction with them I used to.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:34 pm

I would get flair bottomed bowls that are completely un-tippable. That's what I use for my chicken since she sometimes walks on them.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:17 am

I'm going to use glass pie pans, put a brick in the center, place it in a corner and put a couple more bricks on the sides facing into the cage. If Flossie can pick THAT up I will enter her in the Olympics.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:16 pm

The question I have is whether the pigs will know how to drink from a dish rather than a bottle? Will be interested in seeing how your experiment turns out.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:21 pm

I plan to leave a sipper bottle in for possibly a week, just to make sure they DO drink. I'm almost convinced though, that it will be instinctual to drink from the bowl when thirsty. Almost...

Never fear, you will hear about it, hahahaha!