At least 128 dead in terror attack Paris 13 November 2015

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:48 pm

Yes, exactly how I understand it, tashab. More fear, more prejudice, more reasons to alienate more people and create more attacks.

That is an inspiring pic, Webs.

GPIG

Post   » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:43 am

Evil is winning.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:19 am

We don't have to buy in to the fear and prejudice. Especially not the prejudice.

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:27 am

You are right lynx!

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:53 am

I agree with Lynx and Crazy4Me.

The new Charlie Hebdo is out today. This is their cover illustration: http://s3.lprs1.fr/images/2015/11/17/5285121_charlie-hebdo_545x460_autocrop.jpg

It is not TOO bad but I don’t think all of you want to see it, that’s why I posted the link instead of the picture. Roughly translated is “they have weapons. Eff them. We have champagne.”

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:54 am

There is a lovely video of a man telling his young son who thinks they must now leave their home in Paris that they don't have to:

They have guns but we have flowers.

It's so, so lovely.

jacqueline

Post   » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:32 am

For me, there are at least two challenges. The first is, as some of you have already posted, to not let the bad guys make me change who I am. I won't let their evil doings stop me from being true to my heart - I'll continue to be compassionate, and open, and caring, etc.

But the other challenege is much harder. I don't want to live in fear, hiding, terrified, because of their evil deeds. However I also don't want to be a risk taker just to prove that I'm not afraid.

I suppose part of what that means for me is I won't be traveling or hanging out in any major cities for awhile. Yes, I know terrorists can strike any where any time. I guess I just want to minimize my exposure to risk.

I just don't know But I don't have any false bravado, and I can't deny my fears.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:03 am

Jacqueline, but you need to put the risk into perspective. I think it's very sad that you will change how you would want to move around because acts of terrorism continue.

In Scotland...
In 1996 18 people lost their lives and 15 were injured in the Dunblane school massacre, a 46 year old man was behind the shootings.

In 2005 55 people lost their lives and around 700 people were injured in the co-ordinated suicide bombings in London.

In 2014 the driver of a Glasgow Council (where I live) bin lorry became unwell at the wheel of the vehicle and lost control. 6 people died, 15 were injured and countless individuals witnessed a horrific incident days before christmas day. I had passed through the area where this incident happened a short time before.

In 2014 the UK's figures for death caused by a road traffic accident sat at about 1,775.

I have a morbid acceptance that tomorrow the actions of another person or a series of unfortunate events could lead to a serious injury or death. I live in the heart of Scotland in a major city beside a major international airport.

At the end of the week I'll be travelling by air to London and it's likely I'll also be asked through my work to journey to London, New York and Columbus next year.

If we consider that previous acts of terrorism have involved planes (gulp) and major cities (double, triple, quadruple gulp) then I am doing a great job at increasing my exposure to risk. But given that I also visit schools, cross roads, eat chocolate, take sugar in my tea, boulder, horse ride and cycle on the road it would seem a huge, huge shame for me to give up all of these hobbies and passions to avoid death, fear or injury. To give it up all because of a 'what if' that might never happen.

Every time I've been assaulted I have been somewhere I should have been 'safe' and I have not been on my own.

I hope that I'll die surrounded by loved ones in a comfortable room full of sweet smelling flowers. But in the absence of control, I might as well have a blast and do what makes me happy... like scratching the god forsaken rash.

GPIG

Post   » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:56 am

Sorry if my post was misunderstood as calling for fear or prejudice. That’s not how I feel or what I intended to convey as a message.

My observation and comment was a condensed version of; whatever you want to call this movement that wishes to destroy all who don't believe in their fanatical and depraved interpretation of a religion, is gaining momentum. I'm afraid some of the leaders we look to for ensuring our security and leadership do not fully understand what this is and are also underestimating it. They are reacting in absolute predictable patterns.

That doesn't mean I feel individuals need wholesale changes in the way they live their lives but since the topic of fear has been been brought up, being vigilante of personal security now more than ever, I believe, would be wise – don’t be fearful but be alert, have some plans.

We need to call on those we've elected as our leaders to have a greater sense of urgency. I thought the response for this latest attack by the man i voted for president was pathetic.

There is a vacuum of leadership from the top down in his administration which is extremely dangerous at a time a very well-funded group (topic for another thread I think) has made it a priority to obtain, and use weapons of mass destruction. You would be hard pressed to find any capable informed analyst in the global security industry that does not believe this to be a when, where, and how bad will it be scenario.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:44 am

I'll never forget the Dunblane massacre, NCIS. I remember a co-worker saying "Scots are not violent people."

CyborgCavy

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:32 pm

I don't watch the news, but my parents watch the Fox "News" channel (which is awful), so I heard something about requiring a religious test for refugees to make sure they are all Christian. WHAT?! So no Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, atheists, etc. allowed, huh? This is sounding an awful lot like the Nazis, just saying.

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:36 pm

Well, sure. Because clearly terrorists wouldn't think to lie about their religious affiliation. . .

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:35 pm

Cyborg - "This is sounding an awful lot like the Nazis...", except it's not because that isn't what's happening. Refugees are screened before being admitted to check that they are not known to be affiliated with a terrorist group, they are not rejected based on religion.

This is where an echo of 'Nazi' is being introduced...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/119 ... hetoric.html

Scotland received Syrian refugees this past week
http://www.scotsman.com/news/leader-syrian-refugees-are-welcome-in-scotland-1-3954959 there is a divide of opinion as to how positive this is; generally the Scottish people are welcoming (demonstrations have shown this) but there are always a few people who seem afraid that we've opened out doors.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:13 pm

I think there are more people in the states who would show no compassion. I am proud of Scotland for showing its humanity.

CyborgCavy

Post   » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:44 pm

NoCable-

I was talking about what Republicans WANT to happen (screening people to make sure they are Christians). Because Republicans believe America is a "Christian country" (that means there should only be Christians living here).

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:12 am

With Brussels on lockdown Pigjes says she and Hub are ok--they are about 30 miles away.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:43 pm

I'll never forget Dunblane either. Horrifying.

From NPR on Belgium lockdown:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/11/23/457099902/ ... selslockdown

l
'We Haz Kittens!' And 4 Other Tweets From #BrusselsLockdown

jacqueline

Post   » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:19 pm

LOVE IT!!!

Kittens fight back!!

GPIG

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:20 pm

Syrians who are not interested in participating in war are being brutalized in the most horrid ways. They must be able to leave Syria. Other countries must be willing to take them in. We cannot stand by and allow genocide, ever.

However, they are fleeing a country deep in civil war, there is no way to quickly and accurately check backgrounds to ensure they are who they say they are. The only humane and logical thing is for the global community to build places for them to live that are humane. These places must be maintained, hygienic and provide high quality medical care and education while the resources which do exist, but take some time are implemented to sort out who is who. All countries should then be granting asylum based on ability to support new immigrants.

It cannot be based on political rhetoric, bias or hate. The vast majorities of these people are good and decent and have been through enough already. It is time for the gloabl community to put their resources into peace. We are only escalating and going deeper into a wold war scenario.

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks GPIG. I have been kind of agonizing about the whole refugee thing. Back and forth between wanting to help those fleeing for their lives, and at the same time protect us from those trying to get an easy into our country to destroy us.

I agree with you that setting up a temporary place - safe, clean, etc - for people to stay while the global community finds an expedited way to sort out who's who makes the most sense.

Sadly, I'm reluctant to say even that much. I feel very jaded I guess. I'm so convinced that we only get the tiniest bit of the actual information. It's so hard to form any opinion, or engage in any reasonable discussion when you don't have the necessary info.

Nor do I trust those that do have the information.

I do worry that we are on a path towards a global war.

120 posts