HELP!! EMMY NEEDS A NEW LOVING HOME!!

Deansie13

Post   » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:10 am

Hello! I am new to the guinea pig world and will sadly have to leave it :(

I know it is awful to support pet stores, but I could NOT help myself when I saw this baby girl at Petco, so I brought her home in September. She is about 5-6 months old, and is the SWEETEST!

It turns out I break out in hives every time I hold her, and am highly allergic to either her or the hay and got a very severe eye allergy reaction I have had to be treated for. I have tried all different kinds of hay and have switched her to fleece bedding (which she loves!) and try to keep the allergies to a minimum, but whatever is causing it is taking a toll on my immune system and making me sick!

I am EXTREMELY heart broken as I have loved and spoiled this girl and have been looking to get her a friend, but I just cant.

PLEASE help me find a loving home for Emmy, I love her so much and want her to go to a good, experienced home that can maybe even provide her with a friend!!

New to this forum but please email me or comment for pictures and more info, or I will try to post pictures later.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:05 am

You need to repost this with your location in the title and pictures. It will help find a home for your guinea pig. Read the sticky in this forum.

WICharlie

Post   » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:41 am

Her info says Virginia.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:57 am

Where in Virginia?

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:08 pm

Annandale

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:18 pm

I also have a contact allergy to guinea pigs. To help, always wear long sleeved shirts when picking up the pig. Never hold the pig under your chin or touch her to your face. Wash your hands thoroughly every time you handle the pig. If you are using cloth bedding, you also don't want to allow it to touch your forearms or neck, face, etc. Wash thoroughly after handling the bedding.

I did not have as much trouble being around the hay even though my allergies can be severe, but I've heard that bluegrass is less apt to bother than timothy.

Your problems may be increased if your pig is being house in a pet store bought cage. They are not big enough for a guinea pig to live in. We recommend a C&C cage if you are going to use cloth bedding (it simply won't work in a smaller store bought cage). Your allergies may be reduced by having your pig in a roomier cage with adequate ventilation.