At least 128 dead in terror attack Paris 13 November 2015

GPIG

Post   » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:57 pm

Is the KKK still a large organization or have they splintered into other groups, like skinheads, etc?

I know the message of hate is still out there I just was wondering are there still people actully meeting in the woods, burning crosses, and worse in hoods and cloaks?

I used to follow much more closely the Southern Poverty Law Center, hate to admit, I haven't checked in for years now. I liked Morris Dees, I think his name was.

piggypie

Post   » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:01 pm

Here's an interesting TED talk that spins off on Jac's post about community

https://www.ted.com/talks/benedetta_berti_the_surprising_way_groups_like_isis_stay_in_power

It's only 6 minutes and well worth the watch. It's not just community, but government involvement that may be the problem (from a Canadian perspective)

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:12 pm

Today, the Center estimates that there are between 5,000 and 8,000 Klan members, split among dozens of different - and often warring - organizations that use the Klan name.
from SPLC Klan page

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:41 pm

Anonymous named names of the KKK recently.

jacqueline

Post   » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:44 pm

Another mass shooting, unfolding now, in San Bernadino California. At a center for people with developmental disabilities.

I just can't stand it any more.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:36 pm

I heard about it on the nightly news. That's all they were carrying. They didn't have any details though. This has got to stop. So painfully sad.

GPIG

Post   » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:35 pm

mistake, didn't mean to post

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:58 am

This is so sad, it indeed needs to stop.

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:38 am

Too many cruelly ironic things. 1) It was in a facility for the disabled 2) It was a holiday party 3) These were not rich, powerful people. Their job was to keep the county safe and healthy.

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:50 am

I heard something on our local radio station that I'm pondering. They were expressing their opinion that this is the new norm - mass shootings and gun violence - and that we just have to "get used to it".

I'm not on board with the "get used t it part", but this does seem to be a new norm. And our government seems unable to come up with a response.

When we had one attempted bomber, with a bomb in his shoe, our pretty rapid response was to make everyonewho flew take off their shoes for inspection. Yes, people grumbled about it, but everyone either complied or found different transportation.

I know gun ownership is slightly different, I'm just saying we actually can respond immediately, even if it's an inconvenience and people don't like it. I just have no idea what the response ought to be.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:34 am

The big problem is the NRA - most powerful lobby in the country - who in turn represent gun & ammo manufacturers.

There was a fascinating Frontline on the NRA recently.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/gunned-down/

If the Newtown shootings weren't enough to persuade the congressmen standing in the way of at least certain kinds of gun control (background checks at gun shows & online sales), then what will? Maybe the current media focus will help.

What I think we need is for the constituents (who support at least minor attempts at control) of the obstructive congressmen to flood their congressmen with their opinions.

piggypie

Post   » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:17 pm

This article says so much in a much more articulate way than I can

http://www.upworthy.com/a-furious-heartbroken-response-to-sa ... o-read?c=pop

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:38 pm

i couldn't imagine living somewhere where mass shootings are a regular occurence.

I was thinking about what we have had here. They are few and far between. Derek Bird and Raoul Moat being the 2 that I know of in recent years. Men with issues who went on the rampage with guns. I remember when Raoul Moat was on the loose. We had armed police in full get up wandering the streets of our quiet little market town, and other towns and villages all over Northumberland. It was like something out of a hollywood film. Totally surreal.

I understand the massive debate on gun laws in America. An american friend who is studying here posted this the other day. I wasn't aware of what had happened in Australia. Huffington Post

I wish there was no violence, no war, no famine.

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:12 pm

Piggypie - thanks. That was an amazing piece!

piggypie

Post   » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:18 pm

Jessie, I like that article.

rpaws

Post   » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:48 pm

jacqueline,
I was told that the largest growing population religious-wise in the United States are people that do not consider themselves to be of any faith - non-denominational. They don't attend any church.

I didn't go to church for years - believed but didn't go. I attended a lecture (in a church) recently where the speaker said that the young people were being attracted to ISIS because it was filling a VOID for them. They needed to believe/have a cause in something. His point was everybody has a void that needs to be filled. when you take G-d out of the equation that humans will fill it with something destructive - ISIS, drugs, money, power, etc.

I do not know if everything such a person chooses is destructive but I do believe people generally feel they have to have a purpose in life. They are going to set up something to fulfill that purpose. They can fill it with volunteering, fighting for a cause, alcohol, etc. It is such cases as we are seeing here that the 'void' is filled with hate.

piggiepie,
That was a good article. Thanks for posting the link. I don't want to get used to the 'new norm.' A Canadian friend told me the United States averages over 1 mass shooting/day. That is AWFUL. Terrible to realize that we live in a country that tolerates this. I write tolerate because for all the words that are said after a mass shooting event, NOTHING happens...just another mass shooting.

I think gun control should be taken over by the FBI, rather than ATF. I believe Reagan was the president. tried/thought of this. When the NRA found out there was finally going to be have 'some teeth' the NRA fought this idea.

Civilians should NOT be having access to semi-automatic and automatic weapons. They are designed for one thing only - to kill people.

The United States does need gun control, rather than a Wild West mentality (of which the Wild West existed for about 30 years only). I am NOT saying ban all guns, but there should be a register just like people have to register cars, etc.

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:56 pm

Thank you Rpaws. That's kind of what I meant.

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:08 pm

Here's a quote from the Pew Research I heard on the radio:
There are now approximately 56 million religiously unaffiliated adults in the U.S., and this group – sometimes called religious “nones” – is more numerous than either Catholics or mainline Protestants, according to the new survey. Indeed, the unaffiliated are now second in size only to evangelical Protestants among major religious groups in the U.S.
Here' a link to the full report:
http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/americas-changing-religious-landscape/

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:49 pm

"His point was everybody has a void that needs to be filled. when you take G-d out of the equation that humans will fill it with something destructive - ISIS, drugs, money, power, etc."

That is crap. There are honorable, responsible, loving, community supporting atheists everywhere.

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:30 am

I do agree with the void part. But lots of people fill it with good things as well.

120 posts