Guns

Erinspigs

Post   » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:38 pm

So people don't think I have tunnel vision about guns and to be clearer about my point, I don't agree with open carry, which is different than concealed carry.

I do think seeing guns in public scares some people and they have rights too. Just because someone has the right to carry a gun doesn't mean someone should be scared by that right. I understand the very sight of guns can cause people anxiety and fear. They have rights and their rights need to be protected also.

Wheekers I don't know the statistics on that either but just from memory hearing about the mass shootings I think you're right. That's part of why I think tougher gun laws won't stop the mass shootings. Outside of a ban and confiscation like Australia has I don't think we can stop or minimize this problem with more strict gun laws alone.

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:52 pm

As someone who has been diagnosed with a mental illness, I can tell you how scary it to hear over and over again the link being made between gun violence and mental illness.

I haven't check statistics, but many years ago, when I was an advocate in the field of stigma and mental illness, people with MI were far far mroe likely to be the victim of a crime, rather than its perpetrator.

Are we just going to broad stroke and say that everyone who randomly kills people must be "crazy"? It's easy to spread that around without thinking about it. But killing someone doesn't automatically mean you have a diagnosed MI.

Not all people who have a MI commit violent crimes, and not all people who commit violent crimes have a MI.

Just sayin'

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:15 pm

Ditto.

Erinspigs

Post   » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:40 pm

Jaqueline, I was agreeing with the part of the post that most mass murderers weren’t having legal gun issues at the time.

I've never believed this rise in mass killings is about mental illness, as much as I don't think more gun control laws will help.

I have my theories but think I should keep them to myself. I don't think I could explain it in a post and don't want to offend. I am sorry if you thought I was blaming mental illness, I'm not.

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:47 pm

No, Erinspigs. I didn't write that in response to anything you said. I've just been hearing too much in the media about "crazy" people and guns.

I'm very impressed by how much thought you've given this issue and how clearly you do articulate your thoughts. It's a rough subject, and discussing it in a thread is even more challenging.

Wheekers3

Post   » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:18 am

Oh heck no Jac, I was in no way saying or inferring that. No way no how. Sorry if it came across that way.

jacqueline

Post   » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:20 am

No, no - I took no offense at antone's post. I'M sorry if it appeared that way. I just felt like I needed to toss that perspective in, given all the media crap.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:27 am

I think people look for a scapegoat. It is often a class of people (mentally ill, Muslims, etc.). They want to understand why bad things happen and if they can "identify" the problem, they will support doing something about it.

That said, I sure do not feel you can lump people together as a danger in this way. There are way too many wonderful people in these identified groups.

Wheekers3

Post   » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:00 am

I agree Lynx, it is some sort of unfortunate lotto of so many things. Each case is unique.

I think one (of again many ) is wanting infamy. I could list dozens of other triggers like I tried to last night, but didn't want to call out. I kept writing, then deleting repeatidly.

It's cool Jac. We're good.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:04 pm

"I haven't check statistics, but many years ago, when I was an advocate in the field of stigma and mental illness, people with MI were far far mroe likely to be the victim of a crime, rather than its perpetrator."
Etc.

ditto

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:56 pm

This recent article supports jacqueline's position:

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2015/12/17/1460829/-A-scary- ... ca#read-more

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 am

Great article Lynx, thanks. But we so need a scapegoat. We look at religion and blame Muslims. We look at race and blame people from the Middle East. I think blaming people with mental illness is a left-over from the days of possessions and witch hunting.

This country still refuses to acknowledge that mental illness is a biologically based illness, just like diabetes. All you have to do is look at health care coverage, and you'll see the great inequity. I have, for years, been paying out of pocket for my mental health treatment because my insurance plan refuses to cover it. Some years it's been as high as $12K. And so my treatment plan is based on what I can afford, not what I need.

And imagine having an illness that distorts reality, where you're anxious and depressed and hearing screaming voices in your head, and then being confronted with people with guns, who are yelling at you without really comprehending why.

Yeah, they're not the dangerous ones in that scenario.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:02 am

Exactly, jac.

Erinspigs

Post   » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:56 pm

Really proud of our friend Taya Kyle for standing up to the president at his town hall and being so articulate. My dad said she was amazingly calm and collected.

Here's photo of her husband Chris with friends when he was alive and everything seemed possible. Can you guess which one is gpig?

http://chriskyleamericansniper.blogspot.com/

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:22 pm

The president is doing the right thing. It is not a complete solution but it is definitely the right direction. Spineless, bought and paid for legislators have failed to do anything.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:23 pm

And then we have Texas' new "open carry" law, which is a disaster on so many levels it's hard to enumerate them all. This one, however, may take the cake: http://www.statesman.com/news/news/guns-now-allowed-in-texas-state-run-psychiatric-ho/npztT/

Erinspigs

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:42 pm

I thought I was missing something, so I’ve read everything I can find. I discussed with my brother who is involved in this from a legal perspective and have come to the conclusion; it is much ado about nothing.

Nothing changed. The only change I see is there will be 200 more ATF agents and $4 million upgrade of NICS system to ensure required functionality... functions.

Did I miss something? Honest, I really don’t see any changes and there seemed to be such a buildup to the speech. Ensuring the NICS system works is something everyone is for, so that’s good but....

Wheekers3

Post   » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:44 am

E. P., I keep looking at the picture, trying to imagine which would be a guinea pig lover. I am thinking 3rd guy from the left.

piggypie

Post   » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:15 am

jacqueline

Post   » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:59 am

Thanks for that link - I-'ve bookmarked it for later reading.

Saw an interesting commercial yesterday. Referenced how Cain killed Able with a stone (not a gun). Advising us to change our hearts, not our weapons (my words, not theirs). Very thought provoking .

299 posts