At least 128 dead in terror attack Paris 13 November 2015

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:00 pm

I'm not trying to be an apologist, just saying as soon as WWII was over our focus was on the US vs. the Soviets

tashab

Post   » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Yeah, there was a lot of paranoia re: the Soviets (and vice versa) so both were in a race for scientists and engineers.

GPIG

Post   » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:45 pm

Anyone being a member of the Nazi party is troubling. It's being a member of the SS that is the bigger problem, I think.

Being a scientist in Germany in the 30s meant you almost had to be a member of the party. More troubling is that he requested the SS position. He saw, used and benefited from slave Labor.

I don't hear you being an apologist Bookfan.

There are a lot of people upset about his position as "father" of our space program and believe he was a war criminal as director of that plant.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:30 am

I agree, GPIG. I think there were high-ups convicted at Nuremberg for the slave labor thing. Albert Speer was one of those they were trying to convict on those grounds along with his involvement with armaments, but he managed to slip out of it & get prison instead of hanging.

But he wasn't useful to us & von Braun was.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:53 am

Gotta correct myself. According to Wiki, he was convicted for use of slave labor. Claimed to not know about the Holocaust. That's what he wiggled out of.

GPIG

Post   » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:58 am

Sort of the same thing the "Good Nazi" said, that he saw and used slave labour but didn't know there was a holocaust going on.

That's hard to beleive, almost impossible, for him or Speer in my opinion.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:30 am

Yes, hard to believe. I haven't read van der Vott's book, but read the one by Gitta Sereny. A big question (I assume you already know this) is the "the Posen Conference on 6 October 1943, at which Himmler gave a speech detailing the ongoing Holocaust to Nazi leaders" from Wiki. Speer claimed he left before Himmler spoke. However, again from Wiki:

In 2007, the Guardian reported that a letter from Speer dated December 23, 1971, had been found in Britain in a collection of his correspondence to Hélène Jeanty, widow of a Belgian resistance fighter. In the letter, Speer states that he had been present for Himmler's presentation in Posen. Speer wrote: "There is no doubt – I was present as Himmler announced on October 6, 1943, that all Jews would be killed."

Interesting. Who knows.

Another interesting book by Christopher Dodd, the politician:

"Letters from Nuremberg: My Father's Narrative of a Quest for Justice"

His father was an attorney at Nuremberg & said they had enough to hang Speer, but the head attorney let him slip through. Forgot the details.

GPIG

Post   » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:33 pm

There is an excellent movie called Conspiracy about the Wannsee Conference. Kenneth Branagh and all the actors are very good.

Wheekers3

Post   » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:55 pm

I didnt find out until after her death, that my Grandma was a spy for the FBI in the 40's and 50's. She never let on, even to her stepkids.

I would've loved to hear about it, if even allowed?

GPIG

Post   » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:19 pm

How interesting Wheekers. What a time period for spying. I wonder if there are any documents tucked away in a corner of an attic. Probably not, depending on classification she would not have told anyone or kept anything.

I had an uncle in air force intelligence during the 50s/60s tracking the movement of soviet nukes. He only opened up 6months before he died when he knew he was dying. No one in his family knew anything except what he did was sensitive and to not ask. Twice a year men in trench coats who didn’t smile would come to the neighborhood his parents and siblings lived and conduct interviews with everyone. I'm so grateful for the stories he was able to tell me. Helped form my world view of where I place my own government in everything.

It would be so cool if you could find some things out, how she lived within her cover, all that, it's just so cool.

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:16 am

Has anyone seen the movie Little Nikita? It's about a teenager who finds out his parents are Russian spies.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:04 pm

I saw that movie, GPIG! Yes, it was excellent. I think it was filmed in the house where the conference took place - not sure.

Wheekers3

Post   » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:50 pm

I'll have to put that on my list.

No, she moved many times and was pretty careful.

I would of loved her to know I think she was such a bada**. Her first husband supposedly drowned, which makes me wonder...Everyone on that side of my family is gone, so there will be no discussions.

jacqueline

Post   » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:10 am

Does make me wonder about secret diaries she may have kept and hidden somewhere. . .

GPIG

Post   » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:00 pm

Bookfan, I've been told it was one of Herman Goering's houses. I can't verify that though.

He wasn't in attendance but had signed the document convening the conference and requesting participants. Using his house was to be used as an additional stamp of authority, I was told.

It was after the euthanasia program of Germany's mentally ill that the Nazis became acutely aware of the significance of having their names associated with anything that could be considered a war crime or a crime against German citizens. Goering's signature is of historic significance and not something he wanted to do, again, so I'm told. There are no other documents associated with the holocaust that bear the signature of anyone with the authority that would have been needed. Not saying the group of usual suspects wasn't responsible, they were, they were just careful about what they signed.

rpaws

Post   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:25 pm

Ok, this has to be a joke.

A Muslim cleric in Europe is talking about 'controlling women' when shopping by NOT allowing them to handle bananas or cucumbers.

Seems 'us' women cannot control our sexual thoughts when fondling (my own word) them.

The ban also includes carrots and zucchinis.

I got news for him. The last thing on my mind when handling those fruits getting a salad ready for my guinea pig is sexual thoughts.

But if I can get a male to come and do the shopping and feed the little guinea pig monsters, then yeah I got those type of thoughts...now do the work for me. I also get those thoughts when I have to clean...

Makes me wonder about other things a women should avoid - flashlights, etc.

Of course the ban does not prohibit men from handling any objects that give them 'sexual thoughts.'

I got news - sometimes a 'good cigar is just a cigar (Freud).'

In other news ISIS, in a 42 minute message is trying to recruit Muslims to their cause and murder disbelievers --

"If you can kill a disbelieving American or European, especially the spiteful and filthy French, or an Australian, or a Canadian or any other disbeliever, then rely upon Allah, and kill him in any manner or way however it may be," an ISIS spokesman says.

Some of the response I read to this were kind of funny...rather watch Netflix...busy with Star Wars. One person asked if would be done by 8 p.m. There was something about having a curfew or having to be home by then.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:39 pm

Regarding the fruits and vegetables -- if they enter the house, the women will chop them to pieces. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:19 pm

Ha!

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:19 am

'Vonce de rockets are up, who cares vere dey come down. Dat's not my department,' says Wernher von Braun.--Tom Lehrer

8ball

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:33 pm

Did anyone see the responses to Daesh calling all Muslims to arms on Twitter? Hilarious!!

120 posts