Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:51 am

Read this over closely and see if anything matches:

www.guinealynx.info/.html

With no xray, you do not know if there is a jaw injury.

I do not know if you can see any tongue action at all but I think the tongue would also be involved in moving the food to the back. If there were anything going on with the molars (entrapment), this action would be affected. Should you have occasion to bring her in to a vet to be checked, I would bring along a healthy guinea pig and some treats to show how your pig is eating.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:29 am

Ditto Lynx.

I'm wondering if she has some slack jaw muscles. Do you have a Chin-Sling?

Otherwise, that corners-of-the-mouth thing is pretty common in humans as they age. It may just be a situation where if her weight stays stable, just treat the skin. There is absolutely no earthly reason to remove her incisors, but you know that.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:09 am

Well guess who turned 3 on Christmas Eve and got to wear these silly hats yet again. Mum amd Dad were so busy we'd hope they'd forgotten but no such luck.

We did get a few gifts and loads of treats weather was real hot but we had a good day.

We wish to apologise for largeness of our pictures. We did crop them. Piggy swear! Would we lie to you? I is Jan on the left and on my right is my Sister Joy. I am the pretty one though.

SoCalCavies
Partners in Crime

Post   » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:31 pm

I love your pictures, Daisymay!! The birthday girls look great!

As for Jan's teeth, all 7 of my guinea pigs had mouths that turned down like that & dribbled... all had skin that got wet & dirty and even seemed "angry" & "red" and there was nothing wrong with them. They also had all sorts of different-looking teeth, shapes & even varying lengths. In fact, Bandit only had 1 incisor on the top his last few years & even he did fine. Nature has a way of taking care of itself. I have to say it: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! As for your vets, we already know the damage they can do. YOU are the best advocate for your piggies. So, if it doesn't sound right to you, my bet is on YOU!

Hugs to you all!! Happy Birthday & Happy New Year!!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:16 am

Thanks for the reply SoCalCavies. Girls had a lovely day. Days days in a row of special treats and presents. Birthday-Christmas Eve and Christmas.

I'm still watching the way they chew but less worried than I was. Jan still thinks she's the prettiest. Not too sure on that one.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:17 am

Hello all, before Christmas Jan had a bath and attack with the scissors. Now fur is fluffy and coarse to the touch. She does not appear to be in any sort of pain.

She's eating and pooping and peeing and is bright and alert. In November she was 900grams and is now 840grams but vet thinks this is due to lack of grass as we're in our Summer. Even though we grow catgrass for them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:47 am

Supplement with hand feeding?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:05 am

Ditto. Supplementing with Critical Care and/or pellet stew is the only reliable way I've found to help increase weight, or maintain it in an older piggie.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:36 am

Ditto. Supplementing with Critical Care and/or pellet stew is the only reliable way I've found to help increase weight, or maintain it in an older piggie.
I didn't think 3 was old? Have been hand feeding for last week and Jan hates it. Can't wait for Winter and loads of grass again.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:47 am

No, 3 isn't old. I phrased that poorly -- would have been better to have said that CC and pellet stew are the only ways I've found to help any pig gain or maintain weight consistently or reliably (and even then it's a struggle).

Once in a great while (like every few years :/), I'll get a batch of really, really, REALLY great hay that they love and devour in mass quantities. That works better than anything. Unfortunately that's something that you can't get on demand when you really need it.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:04 am

Anne too was concerned that Jan dribbled when eating so Jan will be seeing Carol May 16th to be gas sedated and back teeth looked at for spurs.

Will NEVER take anymore pigs to see Anne. Carol and Kirsty may not know much about pigs but thet're honest about it and are willing to learn. Better the devil you know. The most dangerous vet is the one who claims to have knowledge.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:02 am

I forgot to mention Anne gave me some Clover pellets. She said they're very good for piggies and high in vitamin C. Has anyone tried Clover pellets? I do not know the maker.