Moving Right Along: Snickerspants Part 6

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:25 pm

Guys, I just realized I've done something very bad here, from a metadata/historical perspective. I posted that Snick had been diagnosed with heart disease, and then nothing else medical until he died. I did explain in his medical file, but I don't want this to be a horror story for anybody else with a heart pig, or anybody who searches the forums in the future and finds this thread.

Exactly a week before he died (so just over two weeks after the heart disease diagnosis), Snick had his heart medicine follow-up. I didn't think he was doing much better and Dr. A agreed, so she did some x-rays, and discovered that there was nothing wrong with his heart at all -- he actually had a tumor on or near one of his lungs. It was big enough that the nearby lung appeared to have collapsed.

At 6.5 years old, Snick didn't need to undergo biopsies or any of the available treatments for whatever the tumor was, in my opinion. Dr. A thought he probably had a week to three weeks to live, untreated. So I stopped giving him all heart medicines, greatly increased his metacam dose, and started giving him everything I could think of that he had ever enjoyed to eat, including the calcium-rich veggies he hasn't had since Ouiser passed her first stone. The night before he died, Snickers ate an entire bunch of parsley all by himself. I had intended to share it out with the other pigs after he had his fill, but "his fill" was the entire bunch, thankyouverymuch. So I let him have it. And while he wasn't feeling great on his very last day -- which is why it was his last day -- I think he had a pretty decent last week full of very tasty and very exclusive treats every evening.

I'm really sorry if I worried anybody or if it seemed sudden. I didn't really want to talk about it, and I was hoping Dr. A's prediction was pessimistic, and I might have more time. But really, in the end, no amount of time would have been enough. :(

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:47 pm

No problem, Alden. I think most of us realized when you posted the x-ray that it wasn't going to be long. And you just confirmed it with his "ohboyamIgettinggoodstufftoeat!!!" pictures.

I'm just so sorry you lost him. They're all wonderful, and we miss them all when go, but some of them just worm themselves into a special place in our hearts. I'm still grieving over Flourish, and it's been nearly a year.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:59 pm

I'm so sad to hear this about Snickers. He was one of my special Internet pigs and I really enjoyed reading about him (and his ladies') adventures. I will miss him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:54 pm

I am so sorry he's gone. Snickers will be long remembered.

tashab

Post   » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:52 pm

I'm sorry you didn't get as much time as hoped after the diagnosis update. Snick was certainly a personality.

meganmarie

Post   » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:04 pm

I am so sorry, AldenM1. I'm a serial shadower, and just usually read things on Guinealynx, and i've been reading all of your piggies exploits. I'm so sorry.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:10 pm

I still can't find words. I've had a heavy heart since I found out. I'm so sad for you and for Snick's girls.

BReit81

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:20 am

There are those special pigs that we will hold in our hearts forever and never stop missing. Snickers was definitely one special Brave Top Pig. I too understand your crying hangover- I literally thought I would never stop crying when I lost my sweet Lucky almost 3 years ago. Your connection with Snickers was an incredible gift and I'm so thankful you were able to love him for 6.5 years. I wish you never had to experience this loss and pain. Many hugs to you!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:31 am

I've missed a lot of his posts, but I'm so happy we all got to know him, even if only a little. Thank you so much for sharing him with us.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:41 am

So sorry for your loss of Snickers. He was a special pig and I'm glad he was enjoying the life of being extra pampered in his final weeks. I still can't believe he's gone. Thinking of you and the rest of your herd.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:53 am

You didn't do anything bad at all. I could tell from Brave Top Pig's special treat photos that there was more going on. When my pigs were on their final journey, I couldn't really post about it here. It was horrible and wrenching.

goosey1019

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:38 pm

Oh no! Not Snick! I should know better than to browse GL at work. Trying to keep from crying in rehearsal. Snickers was one of the first pigs I started reading about on GL when I got my first pig. It's hard to acknowledge that he, Neal (my first pig), and so many of the other pigs I grew to love on GL aren't here with us anymore. I hope they're all enjoying lots of parsley and carrots at the Rainbow Bridge together.

Sending comforting thoughts to you and the ladies.