JoeJoe's medical thread

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:56 am

Thanks, I will push for a complete spay. I am having all of JoeJoe's medical record faxed over to Brook-falls and one of their Exotic vets will be calling me in the next two days.

I should have just gone to Brook-falls, as it would have avoided a lot of frustration and headache. I really want to get this over with, as it is stressing me out.

So far JoeJoe's weight has been stable, and I have been putting coconut oil on her nipples along with checking them; they appear to be longer and sometimes swollen.

She managed to hump my hand, while I was sweeping up her cage. I just wasn't quick enough! All these fits of trying to hump and rumble-strutting must be exhausting for her.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:41 pm

I think you're doing the right things.

Listen to the options the Brook Falls vet gives you. It sounds like a good practice.

Taking the ovaries only, as I understand it, can be done with a flank approach surgery. It is somewhat less invasive and a little easier on the pig as far as recovery goes. It will not, however, prevent possible uterine problems down the road, only ovarian problems.

They might also suggest hormone injections. Hear them out, and be sure to get all questions you have about the different options answered to your satisfaction.

Crazy4me

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks Talishan, I was wondering where you were! From what Dr. Fossett said in her message to me was that hormone injections sometimes do get them to ovulate, but in her practice it hasn't been too successful, so that will not be an option for me.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:29 am

Sending good thoughts!

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:14 pm

Thanks, GrannyJu. I have to admit that I have been giving he a little extra pellets, and offering her more pepper strips just so she gets a little extra vitamin C and perhaps puts a little more weight on before her possible spay surgery.

My girlfriend has been so wonderful and supportive. She isn't into Guinea Pigs (she has a dog), but she does show interest, and has been a great listening ear when I get stressed.

She told me that the day of the surgery, she is going to take me out for breakfast or lunch because she doesn't want me stressing all by myself at home. I am so thankful that I have you all, and her to lean on.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:27 pm

Carry on. Keep us posted. GF sounds like a keeper. ;-)

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:43 am

Dr. Follet talked with me over the phone the other day. She said she would be happy to ultrasound her (which doesn't cost an arm or a leg), examine her and discuss the options.

So I agreed, and made an appointment for next week Tuesday. I am also changing my available days, and hours that I can work during the week so that I have three days off to nurse JoeJoe back to health. I am hoping I can get her in for the spay on a Monday as I only work 4 hours that day, then have my three days off.

I figured she should be ok, because I will give her pain medication before I leave; plus I am sure she still will have the effects of the anesthetic and any pain medication that day.

Speaking of JoeJoe, yesterday is the first time she rumble-strutted without me being near her cage. She also had fits of throwing her cozy sack around the cage, and eventually she managed to throw it out of her cage.

She also was knocking her hay rack around, so much so that I decided it was best to take it out as I was afraid she would hurt herself. So her hay pile is on her cage floor, and will likely stay that way until her surgical incisions are well healed.

She is also getting more aggressive, and vocalizing her displeasure at me; lots of loud wheeking, teeth chattering, and whining. Her tolerance for probing her belly has changed to one verbal warning, then either teeth or urine spray will be deployed.

I could imagine how she feels during one of these spells, and then how tired she feels after. I keep reassuring her that relief is near.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:38 pm

She certainly does sound like a feisty girl! I hope the relief helps.

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:52 pm

She has always been a feisty girl, just more so now. I am able to calm her down when she gets upset with me by staying calm, and a quiet tone of voice, and an offering of pepper slice for her trouble's.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:10 am

Sounds like a plan. Keep us posted.

Crazy4me

Post   » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:23 pm

JoeJoe had her appointment today. She had an ultrasound (she showed her displeasure by projectile peeing), which showed nothing.

However the vet is still suspicious of a small ovarian cyst given her behavior and increased irritability. So she is scheduled for a complete spay on Tuesday the 23rd of this month.

Dr Follet and I both agree that this would be the route to go, and I am more than confident in her doing the spay. She promised me that the number one goal to keep her comfy after surgery is pain control, and making sure she is kept warm. She said I will only release her to your care when she is eating.

She said she will send me home with pain medication to be given every 6 hours, but if she has breakthrough pain, she is more than willing to give her either another pain medication, or increase the dose/frequency; all I have to do is call the office!

She also does not want to have me give ABT as she feels it will only mess things up more, so unless there is a sign of infection, she will not send me home with ABT.

I did not mention any motility medication but will ask and or push for having some on hand just in case.

Dr Follet spent a lot of time with me, going over options, examining JoeJoe, and going over what to expect during and after surgery.

I am to drop her off at 7:30 in the morning; she does want JoeJoe to fast. So she said you can give her a little hay and her ration of pellets but would like her to fast for at least an hour.

She said that the reasoning behind this is because it might be harder for JoeJoe to breathe due to having food in her tummy as it would put pressure on her diaphram. She also said that they will not attempt to intubate (put a tube down her throat to establish an airway) because it may cause damage to her throat or windpipe as it is so small (unless it is an emergency). They will use a mask to administer the anesthetic and will closely monitor her during and after surgery.

She believes that JoeJoe will do well given her early symptoms and overall health. She did rumble-strut for the vet tech, and showed her displeasure with the vet and staff for such an indignant exam.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:33 pm

She sounds like she knows what she's doing -- that's a completely reasonable approach, to me.