Wayne - Glaucoma in both eyes

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:49 pm

I've been real pleased with Wayne's progress.

Wayne walks around the cage fairly slowly, but he did before the surgery too. I haven't seen him bump into any walls or anything.

I've been amazed at how quickly he found the water bottle and knows right where the end of the spout is to put into his mouth. He eats and drinks in the same manner as before.

What I found really cute is how he treats his "hoarding vegetables". (My son and I always refer to veggies as either "hoarding" or "social" veggies. Social veggies are the ones they'll eat in a group nicely, while hoarding ones are the ones they turn around with and go to a corner and eat it). Well - Wayne still knows how to hoard veggies. When he gets his bell peppers or other favorite, he still does a 180 and retreats a ways back to eat the veggie by himself.

So - most of my anxiety about what life would be like for Wayne was unnecessary. Wayne seems to have weathered the surgery much better than I did.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:55 pm

That is quite encouraging! Wayne sounds like a character :-)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:47 pm

"Wayne seems to have weathered the surgery much better than I did."

This has happened several times at our house. I'm always immensely relieved when the pig comes through just fine, even if I end up a basket case. I'd much rather take a xanax than have a sick pig. ;-)

Ours regularly sniff the tips of sipper tubes, sometimes right before they drink, sometimes not. I'm sure they can smell water. Depending on the shape of their face and their coat type, a lot of guinea pigs actually can't see what they're eating. Smell plays a much larger role when it comes to eating for them than it does for us.

I'm very glad to hear he's doing so well.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:57 pm

It's been a year since Wayne's glaucoma. He was gaining weight after his surgery but lately has been losing a lot of weight, so I took him back to the vet.

The vet felt unusual things in his abdomen so did an ultrasound. He found multiple lesions throughout his liver and some in his kidney too. Without doing a biopsy, he said we won't know if it's cysts or tumors. Apparently, the lesions are so widespread that if it were cancer, he wouldn't be able to operate. So basically, surgery would just tell us what it is but offer no treatment options. So I declined the surgery.

I'm just wondering what I might expect in either case, whether it's cysts or cancer. Wayne is 4 1/2 years old. I don't want Wayne to suffer but the vet said he didn't seem painful when he was palpating his abdomen.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:28 pm

I am so sorry about Wayne, CavyHouse. It sounds like his prognosis is not very good.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:30 pm

Sorry to hear it. I hope Wayne stays comfortable for a good long time.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:31 pm

I agree with what you've done, CavyHouse. Even if the masses are cysts rather than tumors, it would probably be such an enormous surgery to get rid of them that he wouldn't make it.

If he were mine, I'd just watch him carefully, and let him go painlessly when his quality of life declines. You'll be able to tell when he's in pain, or when he loses interest in food. Just give him everything he loves to eat, and enjoy him for the time he has left.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:21 pm

Thanks everyone. The poor guy sure hasn't had it easy. At least he has a very gentle bonded buddy that's good with him.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:31 pm

Ditto what others have said.

I hope he has plenty of comfortable, happy time left. In my limited experience, they're fine until they're not, and when they're not, they're not. It's not a long drawn-out thing.

Best to him and to you.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:11 pm

I would expect things to go quickly if it's cancerous tumors, but I don't know what to expect if it's cysts. Whatever it is, it's spread throughout his liver and kidneys.

Do cysts tend to spread like that? Is it possible that he'd be ok for quite a while if it's cysts?

The only cysts I've really dealt with are ovarian cysts.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:40 pm

I really don't know. My suspicion would be a tumor, but something more benign is certainly possible. Hopefully someone with direct experience will comment.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:18 pm

Wayne passed away today. He was losing weight rapidly and then two days ago I discovered a big lump under his chin, consistent with CL. The decision was made to help Wayne to the Rainbow Bridge.

Run free little one. You put up a valiant fight. You were as sweet as they come. I'll miss you.