Emergency rehab and foster/adoption help needed in Michigan

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:48 pm

The rescue I volunteer with is full, with lots of special needs animals now and I can't take another right now. They asked me to post the note they got:

"I have a 1 year old female and she lost use of her hind legs over Christmas . She is not abused it just happened out of no where . She did luck to jump a lot so maybe she hurt her back. Also my son has become very allergic to her. I can't take care of her and need to give her up or put her down. Thanks"

I was thinking I'd write to the person and say for the cost of having the piggy "put down", they could have her examined by a vet. It might just be scurvy or something easily solved. I can't take her long term, but could keep her for awhile if someone else can take over rehab.
[/i]

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:03 pm

Never mind. The rescue decided to take her and I was going to rehab. In the meantime, the people took her to a vet and found out (as we expected) she had a vitamin c deficiency and bladder infection. They had her "put down" before they even heard from us.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:40 pm

Vitamin C and some Bactrim ... and they euthanized her.

Hopefully that household will get no more pets. One can hope.

Thank you for letting us know what happened to her. Blessings and comfort to her spirit.

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:49 pm

Such a shame as her illness was such an easy fix; so sad that she didn't get that chance.

Ditto Talishan! It is apparent that they did not want to care for her, and be responsible pet owners. A responsibility that we preach about and uphold.

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:39 pm

I was ready for her and was pretty depressed over it. I so wanted to write them a note and say "Please don't get another pet of any kind EVER," but I didn't think it would do any good.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:42 pm

Honestly, with people like this it may have done more harm than good anyway.

I'm a little surprised the vet did it. I realize vets cannot function as shelters, but I'm still a little surprised the vet euthanized her with completely addressable conditions. This makes me wonder if there wasn't more wrong with her than you were told. Did anyone from the rescue actually talk directly with the vet?

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:14 pm

The rescue tried to get the name of the vet in order to contact him or her and offer to rehab, but the person wouldn't give us the name. In fact the person didn't answer at all. I too felt surprised that a vet would do it, unless the piggy was in very, very bad shape or extreme pain. But who knows, a dog/cat vet might have have felt helpless about caring for a very sick guinea pig?

Of course, the good thought crossed my mind that the the vet or a vet tech might have rescued the piggy or gotten it to the humane society or another rescue.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:35 am

You never know. If the pos owners dumped her at the vet and took off, that's actually quite possible.

We can hope.