Post   » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:06 am

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:19 pm

That's a big pig. :-)

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:11 am

He is! I've felt for his ribs and spine and I can feel the ridges, so I know he's not fat. Honestly, I can look at him and see he's just the right shape. He is big, rowdy, and VERY randy, constantly drives Flossie up the wall with his chasing and mounting. She's learned to growl. :o)

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:41 am

I just noticed yesterday, and it's probably all very normal, but I wanted to see if any of you know what's going on in his little pea brain.

The last few months, possibly even as long ago as her spay last July 1, when I get near the cage, he rumble struts his way between Flossie and I. Of course if he feels HE'S the one I'm hunting, he runs away. He just does all he can to let me know she's his, or HE'LL do the deciding on when she can leave. He struts right down the cage, keeping her on one side, me on the other.

Can anyone take a guess as to why? If he's being all boarly and protective (they don't do they?), why start just since last summer.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:56 am

Perhaps some true loves take a while to develop?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:46 pm

Actually, they can be protective of each other.

"As long ago as her spay" -- YOU were the evil monster to pick her up and take her to an AWFUL vet who did surgery from which she had to recover.

He hasn't forgotten. In my opinion. Then, once a behavior becomes routine, they'll sometimes continue it even if the original reason has been forgotten.

My best guess, unless he's picking up on something else wrong with her. I'll hope not.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:51 am

Noooooooo! (sigh) She has been pretty shy lately. Guess it's time to put my thinking cap on and try to think about that aspect.

Lynx, if it's true love, it's unrequited. She can't stand him, heeheehee. None of them can. Maybe I should try a VeBee/Scatter pairing. Everyone loves the Veeb. No, I couldn't do that to Peekaboo and Fuzz. They post positively adore her. It's Flossie or no one I think. Chin up, Floss, it builds character, baby.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:21 pm

Keep an eye out and keep us posted. Best to her, and to your nerves. :-p

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:03 pm

Scatter and Floss may both be working on developing urine scald. I first noticed it on Scatter several weeks ago, and was watching it because I didnt' know what it was or if it would simply wash off. Did some washing/wiping and his seems to have disappeared now. No excuses, if they are both developing it, it must be my fault - either the felt isn't working as well as I'd hoped (mostly using it now as opposed to a more mixed felt/uhaul pad), or I'm just not keeping it changed often enough. Starting NOW, that changes.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:05 pm

Does felt wick? If it feels wet itself, it's not a suitable bedding.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:39 pm

That was the first thing I checked for when I first had the idea to use felt. It does absorb. I used it successfully for about 6 months in the floor cages. But since I've had to go back to higher cages, they seem to only lay in one corner of the hay especially, or behind/under stools/cardboard boxes in the other 2 choice corners. Their cage (2X5 so theoretically large enough) just doesn't seem to offer much area for me to move hideys around enough. IMO. I'll start using more washable pads until I can afford to completely replace the felt in the flippers, because I can't seem to keep either cage from smelling in certain corners either. The other option would be to put carefresh in the hay area.

I don't think my tables are big enough to support the weight of your wood pellets. They are just a few inches too narrow, so we've put 1X6 boards under the edges so I don't break down the corners when I lean, and yes, I do have to use them to support some of my weight during cleaning. We're discussing ways and means of lowering the tables a few inches now, then I could go back to using the walls for support.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:48 pm

Absorb, or wick? They're two different things.

An absorbent material soaks up the liquid. A wicking material pulls the liquid through to an absorbent layer, and stays dry itself. You want wicking, not absorbing.

I don't have any felt, or I'd test it to see.