Pigjes' Pigs Piggadice part Pee ... oops, Three!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:13 am

Forgot to add that my vet is now officially certified as an exotic pets vet, which is a first in this country.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:35 am

Hoping for improvement!!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:37 am

Pigjes, I respectfully disagree that handfeeding twice a day is all that's needed, or that sick pigs will get hungry enough to eat on their own.

Guinea pigs secrete gastric acid (hydrochloric) all the time. They need frequent amounts of food going through the stomach to keep that acid from digesting the stomach wall and forming fatal ulcerations. Having lost my Flourish to that condition, I wouldn't dare let a pig that's not eating anything else go with only two feedings during the day.

I now feed 10 cc of Critical Care with every dose of oral antibiotic. If the pig is eating nothing else, and will take more CC, I feed it. A pig that's not eating on its own gets 6-8 feedings a day, at least 10 cc at a time, and more if it will willingly take it.

My Patty is in her third week of treatment for pneumonia. The first week, I couldn't tempt her to eat anything, so she got about 100 cc of Critical Care per day, 10-15 cc at a time, every 3-4 hours. By the end of the first week, she was eating small amounts of hay and lettuce on her own, and I started cutting the amount of CC. She's now eating more, but still not normally, and only gets the CC when she gets her oral Baytril.

Incidentally, she's the only pig I've followed this regimen with, and she's the only one I ever had that didn't have problems with Baytril. She also gets a dose of Bene-Bac an hour after each antibiotic administration.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:45 pm

I always force fed pigs as much as possible every 4 hours. I usually have large pigs, Rex or Swiss Teddies are tall, so they eat more. I am not too pleased by feeding a pig as he says, can't be good for anything. Will go back to my old routine of every 4 hours. He laid a guilt trip on me. It takes a while to digest, excuse the pun, Yuyu.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:13 am

Well, since she's been out of heart meds, she's getting worse. Not hungry at all, she just stays in her house. No happy popcorning, no interaction with other pigs. Vet said that she should be OK by tomorrow, or she needs a heart scan. Unless a miracle happens, she will need one.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:00 am

ooo poor little thing. Hope shes all right. Fingers crossed for you. Hugs.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:17 am

Prayers and hugs, pigjes and Yuyu

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:33 am

Sounds like the heart meds make a huge difference for her. So sorry she is doing poorly.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:07 am

Minor improvement today, way not good enough.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:52 am

Thanks for everyone's support, prayers and healing vibes: a small miracle did happen! Yay!!

Maddy_harper

Post   » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:58 am

hope your pigs on the mend now. Sending heeling vybes your way. Hugs.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:23 am

Way to go, Yuyu! <3