Marble and Ebony: Forever Home Found

Rebelfemme2

Post   » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:49 pm

Marble and Ebony: New Family Members.

Hello to all you Cavy keepers on GL! This is a brief topic to introduce both myself and my two new fuzzballs to the community. I recently adopted two gorgeous piggies from previous, loving owners.

Owner:
  • Name: Becky
    Dislikes: irresponsible owners
Marble:
    Coloration: white with grey and tan marbling
    Personality: relaxed and laid-back
    Favourite food: bell peppers
    Dislikes: broccoli
Ebony
    Coloration: light grey, with white blaze on nose and white crown
    Personality: sassy and spirited
    Favourite food: parsley
    Dislikes: zucchini
Cavy history: both piggies were passed on to me by a professional at the woman's centre. I had lost my last pet, Alita, a budgie, about a month or so at age twelve. Ladies at the centre were very kind, and gave lots of support. I started talking to my pet's previous owner after she passed on her commiserations.

We ended up talking about her ponies, and animals in general. She mentioned that she wanted a good, devoted home for Marble and Ebony. I considered the option for a while from practical standpoints, met with the piggies and decided to go ahead.

Currently, I help people learn basic computer skills at a woman's charity. I obtained Marble and Ebony around two weeks ago. I hope to put up some pictures fairly soon, when I work out how.

Marble is an adorable dope who is friendly and easy going, as well as tolerant. He is also quite the happy little one, and likes to jump around playfully. Ebony is more spirited, protesting loudly if she gets irritated, or if treats don't come at the right time. However, they were both well raised and handled frequently, so they are quite loving.

Right now, Marble may have a mild case of an UTI, nothing serious. I took him to the vet today as he was squeaking whilst peeing. He has antibiotics and painkillers in low doses just to be sure.

Well, that's it for now I will report back with anymore news soon.

Perla

Post   » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:23 pm

They sound adorable! Congratulations!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:49 pm

You might also want to read up on stones in case it is more than a UTI. I hope not!
www.guinealynx.info/.html

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:55 pm

Congratulations and welcome to cavy slavehood. ;o) Can't wait to see pictures.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:53 am

aww thanks for discriptions. As i am blind i cant see picks so your explanation of them was really helpful. They sound so cute and sweet. Welcome again from my self and chock.

Rebelfemme2

Post   » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:22 pm

Thank you, guys. I'll pop the picture up when I get a hosting account somewhere.
Maddy, if you want more complex descriptions of my pigs, just let me know, I'd be happy to.
I will have a look at the info, Lynx thank you.
Update
Marble was a hit with the vet, she asked permission to take his picture for the surgery's collection. He has one of his eyes surrounded by what looks like black eyeliner, with a little flick up in one corner. My family says he looks like Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean. I just think he's cute, all piggies are cute.

Marble is being a grumpy pig lately, as I am having to syringe medications three times a day. Hopefully he will forgive me in the future. Currently he is hiding in his sleeping compartment and wiggling like mad when I have to pick him out at med time.

Ebony discovered how to get inside my hoodie during cuddles and amused us by poking her nose out of the wrist holes, before running back up to chew on my shirt a little.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:12 am

They sound lovely piggies. Hoping one of them has been fixed as don't want little babies running around.

So glad the vet loves them that will always help when going in there for any future treatments. More updates a must.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:17 am

yes we want more updates...

Pippipig

Post   » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:05 pm

Congratulations on your new piggies!

Maddy_harper

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:18 am

they both sound so sweet and cute though. They will fill your life and home with joy.

Rebelfemme2

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:51 pm

Thanks guys, you're all very sweet. I'm getting Marble fixed soon daisy, Ebony is too old for mini-pigs, and I only have room for two.

Marble has been getting a bit more used to having his medications, even though he's still a grumpy piggy after he has them. I found that wrapping him up worked well, as has liberal amounts of parsley. Much less squirming. His UTI is clearing up wonderfully, he is no longer shedding fur everywhere, so it looks like his veggie-boosted diet now is really helping. Much happier, and a lot of gleeful jumping around at playtime. And he's started talking to me, so he is beginning to trust me a little more.

Ebony has taken up the habit of climbing to her platform and keeping an eye on me, and everything. She is apparently watching for hawks or dragons or some other creature. Or maybe just looking at the fridge. Adorably, she is now curling up on me, snuggling under my chin and wiggling around until she's comfy. Then she dozes. She makes the cutest noises in her sleep. She likes to groom my chin and face. She also is letting me find her favourite scratch spots and check her ears.

I'm saving up to get new, larger cages for both of them. The cages the were given to me in, I want to replace them with ones that are new, and have more space.

I have to go, time for me to do the day's last spot clean, Marble's last dose of the day and check before they settle down for the night.

Maddy_harper

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:35 am

aww bless them. Its really rewarding when a bond is formed bitween you and your pigs. Chock loves being hand fed his greens. Hes very gental when he takes them out my hand. Think he knows i cant see as he goes to a particular area in the cage when i want to lift him out or when hes had enough in his pen he will go to the back right corner and start gnawing to be put back in. Hes very smart.